Punching Bag

Options
Do you own one? Do you use one at the gym? What's your routine?

Replies

• Chopshopcop
    Chopshopcop Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Yep, I own one, 100 lb. Anything less for me was too soft and tends to swing around wildly during workouts. Having the heavier bag allows me to focus my strikes more consistently.

My gym has one but I don't use it anymore. Some of the MMA wanna-be's don't use any gloves or other protective gear and now it's blood-stained. I complained to the staff but the excuse was "it's a 24 hr gym and we're not here at night so we can't stop them". Besides, it was 80 lbs, too light.

I try to structure my routines along 3-5 minute rounds with 1-3 minute rests, for at least 30 minutes. Some days, I go harder than others and need longer rest periods. I don't really have set routines but try to imagine I'm in an actual fight and react to that. I just strike with whatever seems appropriate, whether it's a L/R combo, an uppercut or a backfist. I use elbows, knees and forearm strikes. Often use a wooden nightstick and rubber training aids such as a gun or knife. Been known to use a rubber hammer and just pound away. Knocking the crap out of something is very therapeutic.

I often use a resistance band to add snap to my punches and force me to keep my hands up. Just grab the handles, loop behind your back and work as usual. I had to knot mine a couple of times to get the right length for me, you want some resistance at the full extension of your arm as you're striking.

Main thing is get proper gear, tape or wrap your hands to prevent injuries, change up whatever routine you do so that it doesn't become boring and have fun with it.
  • cblevitron
    Options
    Yep, I own one, 100 lb. Anything less for me was too soft and tends to swing around wildly during workouts. Having the heavier bag allows me to focus my strikes more consistently.

My gym has one but I don't use it anymore. Some of the MMA wanna-be's don't use any gloves or other protective gear and now it's blood-stained. I complained to the staff but the excuse was "it's a 24 hr gym and we're not here at night so we can't stop them". Besides, it was 80 lbs, too light.

I try to structure my routines along 3-5 minute rounds with 1-3 minute rests, for at least 30 minutes. Some days, I go harder than others and need longer rest periods. I don't really have set routines but try to imagine I'm in an actual fight and react to that. I just strike with whatever seems appropriate, whether it's a L/R combo, an uppercut or a backfist. I use elbows, knees and forearm strikes. Often use a wooden nightstick and rubber training aids such as a gun or knife. Been known to use a rubber hammer and just pound away. Knocking the crap out of something is very therapeutic.

I often use a resistance band to add snap to my punches and force me to keep my hands up. Just grab the handles, loop behind your back and work as usual. I had to knot mine a couple of times to get the right length for me, you want some resistance at the full extension of your arm as you're striking.

Main thing is get proper gear, tape or wrap your hands to prevent injuries, change up whatever routine you do so that it doesn't become boring and have fun with it.

:huh: The people at your gym don't wrap their hands!? That's not only disgusting, but dangerous! I've only used my bag for stress relief and I always wrap my hands.

Did you have formal training? I'm really worried about having improper form and injuring myself. Do you know any good sources for safe practices?

Thanks for the help!
  • Chopshopcop
    Chopshopcop Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    No, no formal training aside from some conversations with a former partner. He was in charge of our police boxing program for a couple of years, he set me straight on some things. Most of what I know, I've picked up in actual fights while arresting people over the past 25 years. That's why I train with a nightstick and other aids.

Rosstraining.com is a good source; he has a companion site rossboxing.com. Here's a few sample links

http://www.rossboxing.com/thegym/thegym24.htm

http://www.rossboxing.com/thegym/thegym18.htm

If you can, have someone video you as you train or do it yourself. That way you can check your form and see what needs improvement. Check with your local law enforcement to see if they run a boxing program. Sometimes, they will offer a self-defense course, it may or may not include physical training though (liability reasons ya know). High schools and colleges often have boxing courses, around here some churches have sponsored programs. YMCA/YWCA may be an option, all kinds of martial arts schools; exhaust all the potential free sources before you start paying someone.

Hope this helps...
  • cblevitron
    Options
    Thanks! You've been a wonderful help.