Need a new kitchen knife,what kitchen knife do you love?

Options
i need a new kitchen knife or set of knives...

i cook mostly from scratch so i need a good knife or even a set of knives...

do you have a favorite set of knives?

let me know what kind and where you bought them...

thankyou!!!

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    wusthof or henckels
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Get a good Chef's knife or Santoku knife. I like Global.

317603e.jpg
  • AtlantaWriter
    AtlantaWriter Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Sorry, my knives are all from the thrift store or WalMart! One of these days I'm going to be able to afford a good set!
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    Options
    I have my butcher block set of a variety of knives, but I like using a nice santoku knife for cutting/chopping/dicing
  • WDEvy
    WDEvy Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I've been using Henkel's for years. Very good knives.
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,396 Member
    Options
    Cutco!
  • Marquettedominos
    Marquettedominos Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Shun
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    We have virtually no consensus here. I suggest we have a good old fashioned knife fight to decide the winner. Now where are my sharpening stones....
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Sharp ones.
  • ErinRibbens
    ErinRibbens Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Wusthof! I got the 3 piece set and it wasn't too expensive IMO. When you cook a lot, good knives are a necessity!

Edited to add: I ordered mine from Williams Sonoma when they were on sale with free shipping.
  • msstuard
    msstuard Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    8' chef's knife Wusthof or Henckels
  • BelindaDuvessa
    BelindaDuvessa Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    Cutco!

I used to sell these knives. They are awesome.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Want to splurge on the best knife ever? Shun 7 inch Santoku.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    wusthof or henckels

They are very nice! It depends on what you like to use and what feels comfortable though.

If you want a comparison, have a look at Global and/or some other japanese brands that are generally a bit lighter and easier to use for some people.
  • bsekal
    Options
    Wusthof!
  • k011185
    k011185 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    My chef knives are from Japan, and I have no idea what their name is or how I would spell it in English :)
    However, my favourite go-to kitchen knife is a messermeister elite, a bit heavier, but I prefer that. They rate a bit higher than henckels and wusthof, but very similar. They have a better edge and are priced slightly better.
    However, you need to try them out, it's like trying on shoes, lol. For instance, I hate kershaws, not because there is anything wrong with them, but because I don't like the way they are weighted, and they don't balance right for me.

I've been working in the culinary world for 10 years now, the one overrated knife I will advise against is a cutco. I have gone through 3 of them, the handles are terrible, they dulled so fast and getting them sharpened was a pain!
    Granted, my knives get a much more intense workout than most kitchen knives, but they just aren't even close to worth the price.
  • VWbaker
    Options
    My mom purchased a 8" Gunter Wilhelm chef knife for me for my birthday! Can I say I'm in LOVE with a knife! It is balanced really well, is perfect weight and cuts clean and crisp!
  • itali614
    itali614 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Anything CUTCO!!!
  • wwk10
    wwk10 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I have a stainless wustoff chef's knife that I never use.
    Its not sharp.
    I have a 50 year old no brand chef's knife that I love, but it is at the end of its life.
    The no name is carbon steel and very thin.
    Most chef knives are not thin.

Good carbon steel and thin:
    Super sharp can use this relatively large knife on relatively small projects like peeling a cucumber.

Bad carbon steel and thin:
    Rust. And after 50 years the blade is nicked.
  • dearprudence78
    Options
    I have two Cutco serrated knives that I LOVE and I would absolutely buy more if I had more money. My chef's knife is from Pampered Chef and it work's well for what I need. It comes with it's own sharpener in it's storage case.