C25K what was your starting weight? over 180?

Options
How much did you weigh when you started C25K?

I'm starting at around 200lbs and having a hard time breathing after 10mins.. mind you.. today was my first day!

Replies

• RumOne
    RumOne Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I am 219 and am on week 4 and I'm doing C210K. It will get easier each time and don't be afraid to repeat a week if you really need to. I was told not to worry about how fast I went as long as I had the right form.

Good Luck and don't stop!
  • shannonmci
    shannonmci Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I am 4'11" and was 172 when I started back in May. It was soooo hard at first, but like others will say, it DOES get easier. I am running 3 miles now with no problems. Happy running!! :)
  • liittlebrunette
    liittlebrunette Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I am 219 and am on week 4 and I'm doing C210K. It will get easier each time and don't be afraid to repeat a week if you really need to. I was told not to worry about how fast I went as long as I had the right form.

Good Luck and don't stop!

did you have to stop and rest a few times the first day? I felt like I was stopping or slowing down often to catch my breath
  • RumOne
    RumOne Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Yes and I felt like my heart was gonna come out of my chest. Don't worry about speed, just keep moving and try to keep up with the intervals. Hardest part is relax and make sure you are landing on your feet right. Make sure you have a good fitting pair of sneakers
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    The woman I'm coaching is about 325. She gets out of breath but has been able to keep the pace I set and jog every jogging section start to finish so far. We're doing Week Three, Day Two tonight.

The trick is to not push the speed. I tend to pace her out at about 14 minute mile pacing on the 60-90 second sections and then I paced her at about a 15 minute mile for the three minute sections we started this week.
  • katrinas626
    Options
    I started 8/13 and was 180, never ever run before. It was hard the first few weeks but then you will have break through week and it will get easier. You will start to really look forward to runs and for me it had a lot to do with being able to see how far I could get each day. The sense of accomplishment is something that is hard to put into words. This week I ran 5K twice (Monday and today) it felt AMAZING to complete the goal.
  • calitravelingal
    Options
    I was around 225 when I started C25K. I complete the program and ran a 5k race a few weeks ago. If breathing is really hard then slow down. I tried to run to fast the 1st 2 weeks, ended up starting over at a slower pace and that did the trick. Not sure how fast you're going now, but 4.0 was great for me. It was still challenging but I didn't feel like I was gonna have a heart attack. Speed will come later. Slowing down will also help with your form.
  • desiv2
    desiv2 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I really want to start this program, but i'm going to wait until my brother comes home. He's a runner, and by then I'll be in better shape too. :) Good luck!
  • l_nelson20
    l_nelson20 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I was just over 240 when I started it in late July. I am now running about 3.5 miles every other day and am down 20 pounds. It is a great program :)
  • atenin10
    atenin10 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I was 175. My one tip would be to slow down. It's not a race. I really ran a granny trot until I was in better shape to move a little faster. I ran outside, so I don't know how fast I was going, but I do know that brisk walkers easily passed me! I've run a few 5ks now using the same theme... run slowly until I can move faster. My 2nd 5k was 5 minutes faster than my first, etc.

Good luck. Repeat weeks as needed.
  • AsellusReborn
    AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    I was 187 when I started, on 7/28, and am down now to 172 and on my last week. If you're getting that out of breath I would suggest run slower - if you can slow down at all you're going too fast :) Good luck - it's an awesome program.
  • kathim429
    kathim429 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I was 207 when I started I just finished Week 3, day 1. It is an excellent program. Definitely slow down if you feel out of breath. Good luck!
  • shesabattgirl
    Options
    I started a year ago at 230, it was hard at first, but now I am training for a marathon in January at 202lb. It does get easier!!
  • dalissalee
    dalissalee Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    How much did you weigh when you started C25K?

I'm starting at around 200lbs and having a hard time breathing after 10mins.. mind you.. today was my first day!

Just stay with it... your lung capacity will increase as you work on it. And, if you are too out of breath... just walk. You can always repeat whichever weeks you need to. I started at around 220 lbs or so, but I'd been walking regularly at around 3.5 mph and doing fitness bootcamp since April before I started.
  • Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    When I started C25K back in May, I was 257 pounds. Yes it was hard but my endurance quickly grew. I got shin splints at first but they went away after a couple of weeks. I attribute that to actually getting fitted for a real pair of running shoes 2 weeks into the program. I probably could have avoided that if I had them from the beginning. I lost 15 pounds over the course of the program. One month after I graduated C25K I ran my first 5K (August 25th). I am a SLOW runner, and my time was around 48:17 but I am darn proud of that. I took a couple (fast) walking breaks after about 2 miles. ...more like power walking, LOL!!

I've been running ever since and its nice to be able to just "go out for a run" :smile: It's a great program, good luck!
  • crimznrose
    crimznrose Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I just did week 7, day 2 yesterday and was amazed that I could've kept going after the 25 minutes of jogging. I still don't consider myself a runner cause I'm slow, but I'm definitely a jogger with about a 12-13 minute mile. I did my first 5k Sept 8 and have my 2nd coming up next weekend. I haven't lost any weight really but I've gained some great muscle and cardio endurance, but then again I haven't stepped on a scale in a few either.

I started eating right and exercising last November and while I've only lost about 30 lbs I've dropped 2 sizes and am so much fitter than before. Never would have thought I'd be a jogger, but I feel off if I don't get my session in and am anxious to get to the point where I can do it daily instead of every other day.
  • NikkiSmo
    NikkiSmo Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    When I started the C25K I was 210lbs, its not easy - EVER! In the words of my husband "if it were easy everyone would be fit"!!! Harsh but true. I have finished the program and continue to run and each run is still hard, it takes the first 2 miles for me to find my groove. I now run 4-5 miles daily!!
  • Arthemise1
    Arthemise1 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'10", and I think I was around 265. I'm at 258 right now. I'm working on week 4. Week 4 is the first time I've not been able to complete a day, but I worked on it and can now do it. I'll repeat this week til I'm ready for week 5, which I hear will be killer.
  • leighdiane91
    leighdiane91 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    How do you do the interval aspect of it? I always wanted to try it, but how am i to know when its been sixty second or a minute and a half?
  • miracole
    miracole Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I never did C25K, I used a different method to start running but I second what everyone else here has said, consistency is key, it really doesn't matter what your size is/was when starting you will need to build up to consistently meetyour running goals. That said losing weight does help, I ran my first marathon at 231lbs last October and am doing my second at 190 or so (it's in 4 weeks) training the second time around has been infinitely easier!

Good luck and stick with it! :)