The Straight Poop

Options

Replies

• StanziMasaki
    Options
    Colace. Colace. Colace. It's an absolutely incredible medicine! It's a stool softener that you can pick up over the counter. You can also take it every single day without any long term side effects. Some of my prescribed medications slow my bowel, which means that I end up having constipation everyday without fail. Colace is the only medication that's been able to help me, and it doesn't make you explode or desperately need to be near a bathroom all day. ^O^ Just remember to take it with lots of water!
  • wcjcjplourde
    wcjcjplourde Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Apples are also a good source of fiber.
    Dr. Oz also recommended Chlorella, as a dietary supplement. It's a super green food. And, it keeps me quite regular. I love it!
    I order mines through GNC. But, I'm sure you can get it from any vitamin store.
  • WhoIsAmber
    WhoIsAmber Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    When I don't drink my 8 cups (4 bottles) of water a day, I don't "go" the next day.
    At one time, I wasn't "going" for a week and a half at a time until I upped my fiber (fiber one bars!) and making sure I was drinking eight 8oz servings or more of water per day.
    Also, prunes worked for me, at one point, but then stopped making me "go" and just made me "whisper in my panties" a lot so, I laid off them.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    ...whole wheat bread/pasta SUCKS! :noway:

I agree that whole wheat pasta sucks. Have you ever had any of the whole-grain, high-fiber white pastas out there - like the Barilla Piccolini or Ronzoni Healthy Harvest? They taste exactly like regular pasta. I eat that stuff all the time and I am nice and regular! :drinker:
  • sadein
    Options
    I like the Kellogg's Fiber Plus Antioxidants bars.. they are only 120-140 calories each and contain 9 grams of fiber each (35% daily value). Have you tried that?
    I have. they are delicious but also known as fart bars.

I bought some Kashi Go Lean to mix into my yogurt. Oh my, DO NOT go out in public after ingesting.

Our family short-term fix is lots of watermelon.

Long term, beans, fruits and vegetables. I really don't like taking anything unless it's an emergency.
  • angel79202
    angel79202 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    My doctor has me using Miralax when needed, it's non habit forming :)
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,975 Member
    Options
    Their not talking about needing to use fiber or laxatives, its about squatting vs. sitting on a toilet to allow your colon to straighten out making everything internal work better.
  • OnTheWayToPerfection
    Options
    Ok I know you drink water... already... But this really seems to help many people I know... 5-6 glasses of water before you brush your teeth yes it sounds gross...but I know many people who do it...and almost immediately it's "plop de plop" ;)... can't hurt to try i guess...

just make sure you brush and floss the previous night ;)
    Really?
  • moran1917
    moran1917 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I aim for 25-30 grams of fibre a day. I like:

Raisin Bran
    Fibre one brownie bar
    Quaker high fibre peanut butter chocolate granola bar
    raspberries
    strawberries
    broccoli
    baked beans

and I drink lots of water to keep it all moving through.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    Try eating more beans...They are literally... the ****... Mix them into soups or things if you dont' like to eat them plain... and personally... ground lima beans or chickpeas just taste like whatever I put in them to me... I even grind them up, add cocoa powder, truvia and steal cut oats and make no bake cookies with them.

Mmm i must make some beans....
  • Sarah47201
    Sarah47201 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I get a minimum of 20g of fiber a day and I end up going 2-3 times a day! No problems here!!

Good luck...I hope everything comes out ok. :)
  • desiv2
    desiv2 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Let's just say, after the entire house went on a diet we go through less bottles of toilet cleaner. :laugh:
  • sarahc001
    sarahc001 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Didn't read all the replies. I go to my health food store and get something called "Smooth Move" it is a tea and is kinda licorice flavored. It wasn't or isn't harsh. They have a chocolate flavored one but I heard that is awful.

Smooth Move Peppermint tea is excellent. No problem now that I'm running- I doubt there's a runner out there with constipation issues. However, Smooth Move does work, it's gentle- just check out the reviews on amazon.

Good luck!
  • Flowers4Julia
    Flowers4Julia Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    It's NOT about fiber and water...it's about FAT!.. Eat more of it!
  • chlorisaann
    chlorisaann Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    My daughter takes Miralax daily and it helps her "go" every single day. It draws water back into the colon and keeps you from "backing" up. She has had no side effects, doesn't feel like she has to rush to the bathroom.

It really helps keep her regular and highly recommend it. Available at Costco

This!! also I am much better since I started eating sardines in olive oil most days for lunch!! The Oil and the Omega 3's are GREAT!!!
  • Cespuglio
    Cespuglio Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    DRINK A CUP OF PRUNE JUICE 3 TIMES A DAY FOR 3 DAYS, THEN WE'LL TALK.

Lord that will do it for sure......I tried and had to hold my nose I just don't like the way it tastes!

I hate - no - abhor prune juice also. Would rather chew the stuff. Quite effective! You might not even need 3 days of it! :laugh:
    Also, coffee (if you're into it), yogurt, raw nuts. Hope it helps!
  • alaskanaomi
    Options
    Apples always make me go. Always. They're full of fiber (not to mention all of the other health benefits.)

Also, there's this tea called "super slimming tea", it's in a red box and looks chinese, it's actually a laxative tea and works very well. I recommend making it sort of weak until you get used to it. Usually in the organic foods aisle of a grocery store.
  • jsheehan46
    jsheehan46 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Can't see your diary so it is hard to say.....but veggies and running helps me.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Most of the time when people get constipated on a 'diet' , it's usually from eating a lot of protein and few carbs. I don't know what you're eating but it's possible you just aren't getting enough fiber from vegs, fruit and nuts. Do you eat fruits and vegetables? Try apples, a dark, leafy green salad with tons of veggies, mushrooms or fruit in it, Fiber One 90 calorie bars (10gr of fiber), popcorn, green beans, oatmeal, add flax seed to yogurt, cereal, oatmeal, etc. , nuts, oranges, homemade veg. soup. If all else fails, pop 3 metamucil capsules in your mouth after each meal with a glass of water. Make sure you're drinking plenty too, especially if you sweat a lot when working out. Yeah it's TMI but if your pee is dark yellow, you need to drink until it's clear.

Good luck and I hope you get relief soon. :)
  • Alicia7519
    Options
    I have been drinking smoothies made in a NutriBullet. I put spinach, strawberries, slices of banana, blueberries, a whole small peach, or half of a small pear plus ten almonds and blend it. That plus the eight glasses of water have kept me regular.