Just diagnosed hypoglycemic

Options
I've wondered why all these years when I get real hungry I would get the shakes and jitters. If I'm real busy or out and go too long, I hit the second stage and I get very agitated, to the point of irate, unable to concentrate or rationalize anything until I eat. The problem has always been when I get this far, which is maybe once a week, I end up eating whatever I can shove in my mouth which is usually everything in site. My family has had a long standing joke to back up and move away when I get hungry, and I never realized there was actually something wrong until now. It usually hits out of nowhere.I cant pinpoint what I'm doing when that causes the drop because its so random.

Doc wants me to go mostly protein from here on out limit carbs and sugar. Slowly. But today at work my sugar dropped, and i was in a conference call and by the time I could walk away which was about 15 minutes after first symptom it was too late. I ended up eating half a pack of sour heads that were sitting there in a fund raiser box a handful of saltine crackers and fruit crisps before i started to feel better. Felt fine 10 minutes later. At this point I have no idea how I will ever get there. He said it could take time, and up to 3 months for my body to adjust, I dont know if I can do this for 3 months. Once my blood sugar drops to that point I can not function mentally or physically until i gorge on something to get it up. Now I know why I've had a hard time controlling my hunger when I diet, when it seems so much easier for other people.I look at diarys and see what others eat and the time span in between and wonder why I was incapable of doing the same without my body bullying me around. I know I'm supposed to eat snacks etc etc but that is not real compatible with my job. I even tried green tea today, it didnt work at all. In fact it made me nauseous (extremely) which could have been the sugar drop, but either way left me with a sour stomach.

Any helpful ideas would be appreciated from other hypo's. Have you found anything that helps with the drops?

Replies

• Kaylovely612
    Options
    I'm hypoglycemic too! I'll add you and you can see some of the stuff I eat. For me, I think eating about every 3 or 4 hours keeps me stable and also complex carbs help a lot too. I mean I don't eat a TON of them, but i definitely notice more blood sugar dips without eating any.
  • Kaylovely612
    Options
    Oh and when I do get my "snack attacks" as I call them, I find that peanut butter on toast and a glass or orange juice works the fastest.
  • mdb543
    mdb543 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Just messaged you :0) I have a lot of high protein recipes on my blog http://fitandtoneforlife.blogspot.com
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Having 15-20 gm of protein and a small amount of a complex carb at every meal or snack will help keep your levels more even. Have your "rescue" meal planed and available - keep a pack of PB crackers or jerky or a yogurt handy. Have some protein bars handy - they will keep in your bag or in your desk.
    Full calorie greek yogurt is a good rescue as well.
  • karenelise923
    karenelise923 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I always keep glucose tablets in my purse for emergency. They have been a life saver many times. You can get at any drugstore, Target, Walmart. Just a tip.
  • AudreyinNC
    Options
    :Protein bars, fantastic. Thanks for the tips guys. I'm going to start preparing and taking complex carbs for lunch which is usually when i start to feel it coming on. i must be doing something wrong in the morning. I work out at 6, eat oatmeal when i get to work, usually with fruit so something is not jiving. Dont have time to cook at home because of my long commute so I eat when I get there.
  • mearlie
    mearlie Posts: 224
    Options
    I eat more protein than is generally recommended and try to eat whole carbs instead of processed stuff. I also am not one of those "low fat" people - I'd rather get more calories from proteins and natural fats because it takes a lot longer for your body to break that down and gives you a longer energy source than simple carbs.

Here's the thing: If you at any point have a bunch of simple carbs WITHOUT protein/fats to balance it, you are going to have a hard time preventing an attack. Balanced meals with extra protein is THE KEY for me.
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    What about a protein shake on the drive in?
    Whey and /or casein protein powder + greens or pumpkin + quick oats + frozen fruit + milk = yum
    buzz the oatmeal first in a blender to powder it then add milk,fruit, greens and protein powder and buzz it again.

Remember it is important to get 15-20 gm of protein with every snack and meal = it burns slow and keeps your insulin levels from spiking.
  • mearlie
    Options
    Audrey try eating the oatmeal but less of it and make sure you add healthy margarine to balance out the carbs. Or better yet, boil some eggs, peel them and keep them in the fridge. Make sure you have some protein in the AM. Just think like a diabetic. Balanced meals, healthy protein and fat, easy on the carbs. It doesn't take months, just the right combo of foods, and you should feel much better.
  • karenlw75
    karenlw75 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I'm also hypoglycemic. I found i would always leave it too late, and then get jittery, dizzy and not be able to function. As a result I would over eat. I'd eat one thing expecting it to kick in right away, then when it wouldn't I'd just eat more and more and just keep going for like 20 minutes eating non-stop. I thought that I could never lose weight like this. Now I try and eat every few hours before the dizzy episodes have a chance to kick in
  • AudreyinNC
    Options
    Exactly what happens, its too late so I over eat trying to right myself again. I'm going to to eat more protein first thing, on my drive in. Like the shake and eggs, like you guys now that I know what's wrong I want to prevent it BEFORE it gets to that point.
    Shopping list for today, whey protein and more eggs, to start.
  • droberts3311
    Options
    bump
  • droberts3311
    Options
    I have trouble with the same thing. It is very hard to manage your cal and to keep your sugar from dropping. I use real pb and gram crackers. When I feel it dropping I eat a couple of those, very good but be careful of the cal in the pb. Do you test when you are dropping? I try just to keep track and it will drop to 63-66. I keep hard candy with me all the time and try to eat every 2-3 hours. Very hard for me to get back any energy after a drop. Good luck and I eat oat bran instead of oat meal, seems to stay with me longer. Or even freekah, it is really good with berries! :flowerforyou:
  • mearlie
    Options
    Yep, I'll bet you've got the right combo there! Just make SURE you are getting protein with every meal and you should feel much better the SAME day. It's just balance. Won't take you three months!