Haven't Lost in Weeks! HELP!

I've been sticking to the calorie limits, round about, and am not losing anything. I have been told that a calorie is a calorie regardless what form it takes, is that not true. Or can my body just be used to the reduced calorie diet and I just need to start exercising, too. I'm not reallt sure what I need to do. Any advice?

Replies

• JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Looking at your diary, there are a couple of days you are way under your goal, and then before that, you're not logging. Before worrying about what else might be going on, try a few weeks logging everything you eat - everything. Weigh your food to make sure you are logging accurately. If you don't log, or you're just estimating portion sizes, it's very easy to overeat.

And yes, exercise would help too.
  • Dying2Live84
    Dying2Live84 Posts: 154 Member
    Definitely exercise. If you do nothing and start exercising you will see loss and fast, if you're sticking to the right calories xx
  • sweetpeas2000
    sweetpeas2000 Posts: 42 Member
    I looked at your food diary and it looks like you are eating a lot of simple carbs (white breads, etc). Maybe switch that up for some whole wheat and add more fruits and veggies. Are you feeling full on your calorie intake? Your calorie limit is on the lower end. Maybe adding a few more calories will jump start your metabolism again.
  • peuglow
    peuglow Posts: 684 Member
    I've been sticking to the calorie limits, round about,

This is likely your problem. Most times, we are underestimating our calories. Do you weigh your food 100%? 80%? 50%? 0%?

What about logging? Does it all get added up?
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    First, what is "round about"? Often times people say they are "about right" when in reality they are WAY off. It's very easy to misjudge/estimate food intake.

That aside, you have some really low days - under 1000 net cals. My first thought is you should be eating more. Protein is also really low.

When people say a calorie is a calorie, generally that assumes reasonable macros. You probably won't see a lot of success with a 1200 cal diet if all 1200 cals are carbs, regardless of the type of carb. Your body need sufficient protein and fat as well.

I don't think your carbs are ridiculously high, but your protein is pretty low, and your fats could probably stand a small increase too.

I'd start by logging more consistently over a longer period of time and see what happens. If you still aren't losing, I'd increase your cals to 1400 - and hit 1400. Increasing your goal doesn't mean anything if you aren't hitting it.
  • In answer to alot of your replies, when I said "round about" I meant that I wasn't eating exactly 1200 calories, sometimes it is a little more, sometimes it is a little less. I do log everything I eat. I do have a problem keeping track of all of the water that I drink, so most of the time, that's not in my diary.

As far as exercise, I have a few health issues that I'm trying to overcome, so exercise really isn't something that's going to happen much, if at all. I don't understand why I can't lose weight on diet alone, I know it will take longer, but I still still see some loss.

The carbs that I'm eating I know are not healthy. That was why I asked the question about calories being calories. Maybe I should try not eating breads at all.
  • jamers3111
    jamers3111 Posts: 495 Member
    Looking at your diary, there are a couple of days you are way under your goal, and then before that, you're not logging. Before worrying about what else might be going on, try a few weeks logging everything you eat - everything. Weigh your food to make sure you are logging accurately. If you don't log, or you're just estimating portion sizes, it's very easy to overeat.

And yes, exercise would help too.

^^I second this. Very good advice. Good luck!
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    In answer to alot of your replies, when I said "round about" I meant that I wasn't eating exactly 1200 calories, sometimes it is a little more, sometimes it is a little less. I do log everything I eat. I do have a problem keeping track of all of the water that I drink, so most of the time, that's not in my diary.

As far as exercise, I have a few health issues that I'm trying to overcome, so exercise really isn't something that's going to happen much, if at all. I don't understand why I can't lose weight on diet alone, I know it will take longer, but I still still see some loss.

The carbs that I'm eating I know are not healthy. That was why I asked the question about calories being calories. Maybe I should try not eating breads at all.
    You can lose weight through diet alone. Adding exercise would be ideal, but if that's not an option for you, then you can definitely lose just with a calorie deficit. If the days that you have been logging are accurate then, as you say, you're undereating by quite a lot. I'd still be concerned with the days you aren't logging though. How do you know how much you're eating on those days? That's not supposed to be criticism - I don't think I could make a completely accurate estimation if I didn't log, and when I first started MFP, I definitely couldn't.

Try hitting your goal more consistently (undereating by that amount really won't do you any favours), log consistently for a few weeks, get more protein, and go from there.
  • robinso5
    robinso5 Posts: 310 Member
    I would say you arent getting in Veggies! start getting some of thoser in, instead of the bulky bagels!
  • Dethea
    Dethea Posts: 247 Member
    I would not give up eating breads. Make better choices, and you will be fine. Instead of getting white bread, get something with a lot of fiber and whole grains. Or try eating open faced sandwiches.

If you have a problem logging water or drinking enough water, sometimes it helps to get a big water bottle that holds all the liquid you need to drink in a day. That way, you know where you stand in your water intake.

And you don't have to go out and lift weights or run a marathon to get exercise in. Simply taking a walk will do wonders for you; you may not get a huge calorie burn but you are still getting out and moving. You can make it fun-go to the mall and window shop for awhile.
  • jamers3111
    jamers3111 Posts: 495 Member
    In answer to alot of your replies, when I said "round about" I meant that I wasn't eating exactly 1200 calories, sometimes it is a little more, sometimes it is a little less. I do log everything I eat. I do have a problem keeping track of all of the water that I drink, so most of the time, that's not in my diary.

If you can't exercise at the moment try cutting out processed sugars and even starches. When I eat clean I eat lots of meat and veggies, some fruits (mostly just berries and apples), brown rice, and sweet potatoes. The weight just melts off.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    A deficit is a deficit, regardless of how you get there. Do it with diet alone or do it with diet and exercise... it's still a deficit and you'll lose the weight.
    This next comment is based on my personal observations (as opposed to research or anything more formal than just personal experience)... Some people do seem to have "sensitivities" (for lack of a better word) to certain things. Sodium and sugars seem to be most common. That said, it's really hard to tag one of those things as being the determining factor in success or failure of weight loss.

Take your current diet. If you stop eating breads, you have to replace them with something to keep the cals up. What are you going to replace them with? Probably a variety of things. Often times when people go lower carb, they end up increasing protein/fats. They have success and credit that success to cutting out carbs. But is it really the lack of carbs, or the increase in fat/protein? Hard to say.

My point in all this is that while a calorie is a calorie, some people have better success with different macro breakdowns. 40% carbs, 30% protein, 30% fat is a good starting point for most people on this site who are simply trying to lose some weight, be healthier, and look a little better. It'll take some time to find your sweet spot, so be patient.
  • You can still eat bread but go with whole grain. Can you go for walks? It's a good exercise, and exercise is needed if we want to lose weight, we cannot lose weight on diet alone, so says my nutritionnist. Also, more lean protein and vegetables. One has to eat more to lose weight, crazy I know, but it is true. I went from 1200 to 1800 and started losing. If your body is starving, it simply keep all the food you feed it and that is why you don't lose.
  • Dethea, love the water bottle idea.

There was only a few days I didn't log. (Migraines again) On those days I didn't eat much at all.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    You can lose weight through diet alone. Adding exercise would be ideal, but if that's not an option for you, then you can definitely lose just with a calorie deficit. If the days that you have been logging are accurate then, as you say, you're undereating by quite a lot. I'd still be concerned with the days you aren't logging though. How do you know how much you're eating on those days? That's not supposed to be criticism - I don't think I could make a completely accurate estimation if I didn't log, and when I first started MFP, I definitely couldn't.

Try hitting your goal more consistently (undereating by that amount really won't do you any favours), log consistently for a few weeks, get more protein, and go from there.

This is definitely my favorite response so far! The recommendations on weighing and measuring are great too - it's not something you need to do long term IMHO, just something to do the frist few weeks or until you get a good handle on how what proper portions look like. Also agree that there's no need to give up bread (or anything for that matter). The idea is to get healthy, not deprive yourself...learn how to eat better choices (as already suggested, multi grain, etc) and proper portions. That, along with good menu planning can make this process so much easier! Good luck