12,000 calories per day and exercise and I am GAINING?!

Options

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Fat does not turn into muscle. They are different cell types.

You are likely retaining water. If you are experiencing any soreness, you definitely are.

If you're going to do weight training, you need to eat more. Fuel your workouts. Eat whole foods and try to watch your sodium levels to help decrease water retention.

^^ This

Eat more! If you aren't hungry for more than 1200 calories and you are excercising regularly, then your metabolism is probably running slow from the low calorie diet. If you can't bring yourself to eat something, just swallow a spoonful of peanut butter or other nut butter. Up your calories by 100-200, then up them again the next week.

ALSO THIS:
    You may need to eat more, seriously. People will be like "That's crazy!" but the truth is, when you're eating very little, your hormones are out of whack. Your body hates being in a calorie deficit to begin with, an extreme one will cause it to hold on dearly to anything you give it.

http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    Opps! That is supposed to 1,200 cal a day NOT 12,000!

Excuse my foolishness, I just woke up!

Thanks for the giggle though, I figured this was someone being sarcastic. :D

You may need to eat more, seriously. People will be like "That's crazy!" but the truth is, when you're eating very little, your hormones are out of whack. Your body hates being in a calorie deficit to begin with, an extreme one will cause it to hold on dearly to anything you give it.

Run your numbers, adjust MFP calorie goals manually, get lots of lean protein to make sure you're keeping your lean muscle mass while losing weight, lots of fibrous fruits/veggies to keep you full, drink lots of water, and be patient. If you're moderately active and logging truthfully, you'll see a difference. Not as fast as you'd like, but you will. And you'll feel better.

Best of luck!

I do use the fat2fitradio military body fat calculator I LOVE it. It tells me my body fat % is 28%! I will try upping my calories a little and see what happens!

I would specifically use that BMR calculator that Aurie suggested. Using those numbers I've changed my body composition entirely.

Good luck :)
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Sorry to be the barer or bad news, but fat does not turn to muscle. You could be retaining water, and your body is working inefficiently because you're not feeding it enough. More food, more water, more pictures and measurements, less stress.

^^^^This plus keep your eye on your sodium intake causes water retention and add more protein. Protein is necessary for the building and repair of body tissues.

3rd this...you said you went to the gym this past week. If you are just starting up exercise then your body is going to retain water at first until you fall into routine. Give it two weeks and watch it drop. Increase your calories as well. Those are too low on exercise.
  • redlion45
    redlion45 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Come down off the ledge, and remember a couple of things.

1. Weight loss is NOT linear. Diet may be simple math (calories in vs. calories out), but how much you loose is not. Just because you are 3500 calories below your target for the week does not mean you lost 1 lb this week. Weight comes off when the body wants it to, not when you want it to.

2. The scale cannot tell you how much fat you are carrying, it only knows what the total weight is. (that weight can be muscle, retained water from diet, retained water from recovering sore muscles, undigested food and a dozen other things).

3. The scale can only really measure trends, not precise weight loss. The average person's weight can fluxuate by as much as 6-10 lbs per day depending on all the things in #2.

4. Just keep doing what you are doing for 4-6 weeks. The weight will come off. If it doesn't then you have miscalculated either your exercise calories burned or your calories consumed. Adjust and repeat.

Just keep at it. You are getting there. Good luck.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    800-1200 calories is not enough fuel. Your BMR (the amount of calories they would feed you in a coma, making no movement) is certainly higher than 1200. Plus you are trying to work out.

^This!

How can you expect to keep muscle mass ... when you're not fueling your workouts? Eat more ... please:flowerforyou:
  • chicpeach
    chicpeach Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Took a brief look at your diary and some of your problem may be your food choices. I see things like cheese, which is high in both fat and sodium, and restaurant food - super high in sodium. The problem with sodium is twofold:

1.) Temporary water retention, and if you diet is always high in sodium, it's more like permanent water retention

2.) When you get more sodium than your body needs, your kidneys can't filter the sodium out by themselves, so your liver helps them out. When your liver is busy helping your kidneys filter the sodium, it doesn't have the energy it needs to burn fat as well, so it burns something that takes less energy - protein, which comes from lean body tissue. When you lose lean body tissue, you lower your metabolism and thus burn calories at a slower rate.

Some tips to better weight loss:

Keep sodium at or under the recommendation for your age and health status (under 50 and healthy would be 2500mg daily)
    Increase your protein, it helps increase your metabolism
    Cut the carbs, especially white carbs which lower your metabolism
    Drink between 64-80 ounces of clear water daily
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    1200 is not the magic number for everyone.

I'm really not much of one to tell someone that their eating is bad. Mine sucks and I eat like crap sometimes and still lose weight. Each person's body is different, what works for some might not work for you. You might be one who needs to eat more to weigh less? You may naturally need more in your body then you are putting into it.
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are doing ok. I would throw away the scale and start using a measuring tape and the mirror. The scale isn't always the best indicator of progress.

ETA: Others have already mentioned finding your TDEE and cutting that by 20% to get a better number for calorie intake.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    FYI, about the whole "muscle" thing, you generally can't build muscle at such a deficit you've been eating; I second, third, whatever, the responses saying water retention.

Even if the majority of my calories are protein?

That may help maintain lean body mass, but not build it. You need excess calories to build muscle: muscle "eats fat" because it NEEDS energy to work. Fat does not, which is why one tends to be easier than the other to get. And when I say excess, I mean... more than 800-1200. More than your BMR. etc.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I do understand. When it is put into those terms. But, I guess I would THINK that if my body needed more calories it would say to my brain, "feed me, you fool!".

Yes, three total workouts this week including weights and jogging.

I doesn't always, especially if your metabolism has slowed down. Your body slows to match what you have been eating so that it will preserve body fat, when it is not getting enough fuel.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    I have gone from a tight size 16 jeans to a comfortable size 12. So, in that regard there has been quite a difference. And, that is encouraging.

This is evidence that the weight gain is water retention to repair the muscles you've been using. Be patient and you will finally get that sudden drop in weight. :smile:
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Opps! That is supposed to 1,200 cal a day NOT 12,000!

Excuse my foolishness, I just woke up!

Thanks for the giggle though, I figured this was someone being sarcastic. :D

Run your numbers, adjust MFP calorie goals manually, get lots of lean protein to make sure you're keeping your lean muscle mass while losing weight, lots of fibrous fruits/veggies to keep you full, drink lots of water, and be patient. If you're moderately active and logging truthfully, you'll see a difference. Not as fast as you'd like, but you will. And you'll feel better.

Best of luck!

I do use the fat2fitradio military body fat calculator I LOVE it. It tells me my body fat % is 28%! I will try upping my calories a little and see what happens!

Don't freak out if the scale goes up a bit. That's typical for upping calories but it evens out after a couple of weeks. :smile:

^^^ Was just about to mention this, too. Gradually raise your calories, say, once a week or every two weeks. Expect to see a little increase in weight at first or your weight maintaining. It's after your body adjusts to the higher calories that you start to see progress again. Body just needs a little reassurance, is all.

Also, I have to say meal planning is one of the most important elements of success. If you plan your meals and your workouts to the point where they become routine, it's easier mentally on you and will help with those little bumps in the road that may otherwise throw you off course. Adherence to the plan will lead to success. Alter what you need when you need to, and by all means, have patience.

Also agree with taking before pictures. Even if it is awkward or depressing now, you will not regret it when you can compare and see your progress!

Again, best of luck!
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    I j ust have to say, the title (typo) made me laugh. I though well hell, if we could eat 12k a day and lose no one would be fat and I could have Krispy Kreme for breakfast every day :bigsmile:
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Took a brief look at your diary and some of your problem may be your food choices. I see things like cheese, which is high in both fat and sodium, and restaurant food - super high in sodium. The problem with sodium is twofold:

:noway:

There's nothing wrong with eating cheese every day. (or a couple times per day) Saying the sodium and fat content is "high" is subjective. Fat from cheese is good fat.
  • graceinbreath
    graceinbreath Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I weighed 173 at 5'2" when I started MFP in June.

I now weigh 157 and I workout at least 4 times a week - sometimes 6.

the working out is not the issue at all.

You need to weigh yourself after you get up and use the bathroom. first thing in the morning. When you are "empty"...
    Get on the scale completely naked before having had anything at all to eat or drink. THIS is the weight you should go by and only this. It will always be heavier everywhere else at any other time of day. Only weigh in once a week, at home, this way.

Also, everyone who has said you aren't eating enough is RIGHT. The body is like a machine. You wouldn't try to drive your car for six hours without fueling up the tank, would you? Why is our body any different? We need to eat MORE, not less, when we are exercising. I know it sounds ludicrous because we are all programmed to believe that we have to STARVE to be thin but that is BULL.

We must eat - above our BMR - to sustain the bodys fuel burning, fat burning, so it can LOSE WEIGHT.

Try it for one week. I challenge you. I guarantee you will feel better which will lead to better stronger workouts and you will sleep better and not feel starved and then you will see the weight come off. FR me if you want to take the challenge. I'd love to hear about your results.
  • toberdawg
    Options
    I have before and during pictures. My body has changed quite a bit! I can deal with the scale going up a couple of pounds but, I am concerned it will keep going up.

I am not a very patient person . . .at all! :( I saw the numbers on the scale go up after they had gone down pretty consistenly during my wt. loss journey and I panicked.

I have been dealing with a lot of stress in my personal life lately. That may contribute to my loss of appetite.
  • MyNameIsJudy
    MyNameIsJudy Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    :-) I was going to tease you that you may be having too many calories! Keep up the good work!
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

:noway:

There's nothing wrong with eating cheese every day. (or a couple times per day) Saying the sodium and fat content is "high" is subjective. Fat from cheese is good fat.

Real cheese is good. Processed cheese is high in fat and sodium.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    First of all, weigh yourself first thing in the morning on the same scale every time. Second, gaining muscle is better than losing weight because muscle burns calories all day.
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    A few thoughts -

If you are losing inches you are doing just fine - you are losing fat even if it is not showing up on the "scale". since you know that you've lost inches have you been tracking your body fat%. You can use an online calculator and you measurements to get a rough estimate and follow that instead of just the number on the scale.

BMI measurements are just an average - you can be listed as overweight because of weight and frame size dispute having a healthy body fat %. Your body fat % is a better predictor of health risk.

New/heavy exercise routines stress muscles and as they repair they tend to hold water. This is normal and will pass.

Is your protein level high enough to help you maintain/build muscle? Recommendations are usually for around 1gm per pound of lean body mass.

Also have you looked at the road map to help you better define your calorie targets? Sometimes not eating enough for your current weight and level of exercise will slow/stop the scale form moving.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12