I hit a platau

Options
I've been on a plateau of the same weight for about 2 weeks now and can't seem to get off of it. I was doing very well with losing then for some reason it stopped. I haven't changed anything, I lowered the calorie limit i had and everything. Nothing seems to be working. I work out almost daily and I keep gaining again. It's very upsetting. Also, feel free to add me and help me out... I'm 5'9, and would like to weigh 140.

Replies

• Weebs628
    Weebs628 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    If you're working out almost daily, you're probably not eating enough. How many calories are you eating in a day?
  • Cheval13
    Cheval13 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Hi! I have the exact same problem... and it didn't make any difference when I upped my exercise and lowered my intake. For girls, weight loss is especially hard because of TOM and the way our bodies react to stress etc. Make sure you are getting enough sleep each night, and drink a lot of water to try to keep your bowels moving. Most of the weight is water weight, and while some would say you are in starvation mode... it's more of a regular step in weight loss. The important thing to do is not to give up. Also, if you take a regular break from exercising (once a week or so) you will find that your muscles have a chance to heal and release some of the water they are holding...
    but ya. Hope this helps?
  • LIswimmer51
    Options
    I'm supposed to eat 1350. I usually hit that limit.
  • LIswimmer51
    Options
    I don't exercise EVERYDAY. I usually swim about twice a week and run twice a week, 30-60 minutes each. I have been drinking a lot more water, yes, it us that TOM for me, and it's so stressful to hit that plateau.
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    Try taking your measurements. Chances are that while your losing weight your gaining muscle. So the scale won't budge. I haven't had a loss in 3 weeks but took my measurements and saw that I lost 3 inches around my waist and a couple off my hips. My jean size went down from a 12 to a 10. So don't judge by your scale alone. Especially if your exercising a lot. Check those measurements. By the way, I don't eat back my exercise calories. Never have and up till now have lost on average 2 lbs a week. We all hit a plateau so don't worry about it. If your measurements haven't changed then look at what your eating. Check your salt intake as well as making sure you get enough water in. If your eating a lot of processed foods you could be getting a lot of salt and that can mask any fat loss by making you retain fluids. Don't worry too much about it. Use this as a way to get mad at that scale and get even. This is when I get my "move" on even more than before.
  • abigailmariecs
    abigailmariecs Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    It might help if you open up your diary so we can see how much you are taking in. That being said, I tend to cycle up and down while losing weight and will seem to stall every 10lbs or so for anywhere from a week to three weeks. After a "stall" I will lose 2-3 lbs almost overnight. Weight loss is not a linear equation, instead it is a downward slope filled with bumps along the way.
  • NJL13500
    NJL13500 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I find that I have gone through cycles with my weight loss each week. I'll have nice losses for 2-3 weeks (1-2 pounds) and then 2 weeks of nothing where I stay the same. I keep going and the next week the scale moves again with another "big" loss of 2 pounds or so. I'm sure it's related to my hormones and monthly cycle. It is frustrating to work hard each week and not see the scale move on certain weigh-ins. Now that I know how my body works I have calmed down a bit. I know it's hard, but stay on track and the scale will drop. Also take your measurements. There are free apps for your phone that will track it for you. When I get discouraged I can look back and see how far I've come. Good luck to you and stay the course. It will work if you follow the program.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    I am in the stall club too. It was a months long stall at 30# loss that pushed me to search for other solutions and I found MFP.
    Approaching the 50# mark now but not without other stalls.
    I try changing routines a bit, swapping out different food items. Watching added salt items.
    I found what others suggest to be very helpful.
  • jules1202
    Options
    I don't have any helpful insight but I wish I did because I am in the same boat. The scale was going down and then it stopped and actually went up and now it won't budge! I haven't changed anything and yet I was losing weight before and now I am not. Ugh!!!
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    I've been on a plateau of the same weight for about 2 weeks now and can't seem to get off of it. I was doing very well with losing then for some reason it stopped. I haven't changed anything, I lowered the calorie limit i had and everything. Nothing seems to be working. I work out almost daily and I keep gaining again. It's very upsetting. Also, feel free to add me and help me out... I'm 5'9, and would like to weigh 140.

You body loses weight in chunks, not linear. I have found that you can do everything right and your weight loss seems to plateau but if you are patient and keep exercising and eating at a deficit (however slight) you will lose it, it will suddenly "whoosh". There are so many variables for the scale; water retention, digestion, allergies, sodium, carbs, water intake, DOMS, inflammation, the list goes on. People mistakenly think they lose or gain weight when they eat more or less because of these fluctuations.

Losing weight requires tremendous patience. You will not lose it when you want it or where you want it. The body does its thing. Some apparent plateaus can last a month or so. You can not make it happen faster. You must focus on two things; calories and exercise. Nothing else matters. Scales and metrics don't matter. The day in and day out grind of exercise and calories are all that matters. It is not very exciting until things fall into place. You get your victories and you ride one victory to the next.

The scale is a trend tool. The scale is good but put it away and only check once a week and only use it as a trend tool. It will fluctuate, it does not matter. Take front side and back progress pictures at least once a month. You will see differences that the metrics won't tell you and it's that little bit of NSV that will keep you going until the next victory.
    What is the exact number of calories for you?

We’ve been trying to figure out an exact NUMBER of calories that everyone should be eating, without recognizing that everyone is slightly different. In truth, the calories aren’t the end game. Your body is. So the EXACT amount of Calories that are right for you is the EXACT amount that will allow you to maintain your ideal bodyweight no matter what some calculator or chart says.

In other words, an online calculator might tell you that you need to eat 2,500 calories
    per day to maintain your ideal bodyweight. But the only way to know for sure if this is
    the right amount for you is to test it out. If you gain weight or can’t lose weight eating
    that much, then you know you need to eat less to lose weight no matter how many
    calculators and text books say otherwise.

This doesn’t mean your metabolism is broken, it just means the estimate of your needs
    was just a bit off.

-John Barban (The Body Centric Eating Guide from the Venus Index manuals)

While there is no "one size fits all" here are all the tips that worked for me: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/740340-i-lost-60-lbs-at-age-51-anyone-can-any-workout
  • Judyonhill
    Options
    I have just joined myfitnesspal but at Weight Watchers when you reached a plateau, they would tell us to eat more.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    I frequently wont lose any weight for 4 weeks at a time then lose 4-5lbs in the next week or two

I believe its normal for your weight loss to not be linear
  • skinnygurl02
    skinnygurl02 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I hit a plateau for about 4 months. Tried everything. In the end I finally broke through by changing up my exercise routine, upping my calories and watching my sodium intake. Your body gets use to you doing the same things so sometimes you need to mix things up a bit. Also I did up my protein and lower my carbs a tad. Just keep on trying, it will come off. Good luck:)
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    A stall or plateau is at least 3 weeks of no measurement changes, weight or many spots measured, while deficit was supposedly there.

Just as you can't spot reduce, can't spot measure either, so many spots like forearms, biceps, neck, chest, waist, hips, thigh, calf.

So if you reached 3 weeks of no changes at all, you have successfully lowered your metabolism such that your avg daily burn is now what you are eating. You are eating at maintenance.

Or you did lose weight and eating didn't adjust down as it should have?

The bummer is when metabolism drops lower than the weight off would indicate.

What had been your initial loss weekly avg, and what was your total deficit each day avg?
    That means the 500 or 1000 that MFP already put in there, and if you didn't understand and eat back exercise calories, how much more did you add to that already big deficit?
  • rythmless
    rythmless Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have just finally broken a 2 month plateau, and honestly I don't have any particularly helpful advice. I did the same thing - I asked everyone I knew for their tricks and tips, and I tried them all to no avail. I tried decreasing and increasing my calorie intake, I increased/decreased exercise (both cardio and weights), and I even tried intermittent fasts - nothing changed. I drink tons of water, limited my sodium - all the same.

Honestly, I think the only thing that breaks a plateau is time. The difficulty is powering through it despite the discouragement. I can say though, once you are out the other side of it, you will appreciate every bit of progress more than you can imagine.
  • LIswimmer51
    Options
    Hey guys! Thank you for all the advice, i really appreciate it... I decided I'm just going to change my diet around onto a really low-carb diet for a bit and see if that helps. I'm going to drink a lot more water throughout the day and I have heard some great things about Kito, along with challenging myself a little bit more on my workouts as I haven't been feeling much burn i realized on my workouts like I was, mainly from finding myself in better shape and being able to take it up a notch. I am also going to not eat back my calories and see how that works for the week. i'll see how this all plays out... Once again, Thank you.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Hey guys! Thank you for all the advice, i really appreciate it... I decided I'm just going to change my diet around onto a really low-carb diet for a bit and see if that helps. I'm going to drink a lot more water throughout the day and I have heard some great things about Kito, along with challenging myself a little bit more on my workouts as I haven't been feeling much burn i realized on my workouts like I was, mainly from finding myself in better shape and being able to take it up a notch. I am also going to not eat back my calories and see how that works for the week. i'll see how this all plays out... Once again, Thank you.

So you already lowered your goal with no results you said in first post.

Now you are going to in essence lower it again by not eating back exercise.

And now you are going to exercise harder to burn more.

You do realize you are doing exactly the same thing you already did that had no success?

Remember the definition of insanity, doing the same thing over and over again expecting a different result.

Besides, going down further causing another metabolism slowdown, is much harder to recover from than starting high and tweaking as needed.

Don't spend more than 2 weeks down there, it's an awful spiral of chasing a reduced eating goal while your metabolism adjusts downward too. Be aware it may take more than 2 weeks to come out of it.