Excessive Sweating

Options
I just came back from a short walk to the bank. Well, not so short - it ended up being eight blocks. But even after two, I was drenched in sweat. Literally soaking my undershirt and dripping from my forehead. This happens with the slightest physical activity in even relatively chilly weather. Just some moderate strength training or work around the house and I've completely soaked through three sweatbands. Luckily, I don't have BO, but I do have skin irritated from always being damp. I have to wear an undershirt under any shirt I'm wearing, even a t-shirt, just to prevent the entire thing from being soaked. Has anyone had this problem and found a solution? My blood tests are all normal and my doctor just says to deal with it, but sheesh, there has to be some herb or something that would help.

Replies

• tmuster
    Options
    I think its normal for some people.. My dad and brother all sweat like me. I don't start sweating right away but once I get to a certain point I just start sweating like crazy. Sometimes at the gym I know it looks a little extreme but I just go on and enjoy my workout. your all good.
  • DenyseMarieL
    DenyseMarieL Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    http://ca.askmen.com/sports/health_150/166_mens_health.html

Some article I found. Maybe it can help?
  • davidr730
    davidr730 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I used to sweat like Niagara Falls. I got sick (unrelated) and had to stop caffeine during my recovery. It turns out that was a major factor for me. If you take in lots of caffeine, remember it's a diuretic and will contribute to your perspiration. Don't get me wrong, I'd happily be sweaty and caffeinated if that was an option for me.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Dunno. I'd like to hear about this, too. I look like I was outside in the rain after I work out. And then while my metabolism is revved up I continue to sweat.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I used to sweat like Niagara Falls. I got sick (unrelated) and had to stop caffeine during my recovery. It turns out that was a major factor for me. If you take in lots of caffeine, remember it's a diuretic and will contribute to your perspiration. Don't get me wrong, I'd happily be sweaty and caffeinated if that was an option for me.

Shoot. I do love my morning coffee, although honestly, it's 12 ounces and that's usually all I drink the whole day.
  • buzzcockgirl
    buzzcockgirl Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Sounds weird-- but I've heard that botox injections can help with underarm sweating. I dont know if you get the injection right in the pit (!) but google it-- it says it lasts up to 6 months.

I dont know about botox and what possible health concerns there may be (luckily-- I'm young enough and 'plump' enough not to need it ! haha!) but.... I have seen several articles on it's effect on excessive perspiration.
  • Espressocycle
    Options
    Sounds weird-- but I've heard that botox injections can help with underarm sweating. I dont know if you get the injection right in the pit (!) but google it-- it says it lasts up to 6 months.

I dont know about botox and what possible health concerns there may be (luckily-- I'm young enough and 'plump' enough not to need it ! haha!) but.... I have seen several articles on it's effect on excessive perspiration.

I would need it on my whole body!
  • loveachallenge
    loveachallenge Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I just came back from a short walk to the bank. Well, not so short - it ended up being eight blocks. But even after two, I was drenched in sweat. Literally soaking my undershirt and dripping from my forehead. This happens with the slightest physical activity in even relatively chilly weather. Just some moderate strength training or work around the house and I've completely soaked through three sweatbands. Luckily, I don't have BO, but I do have skin irritated from always being damp. I have to wear an undershirt under any shirt I'm wearing, even a t-shirt, just to prevent the entire thing from being soaked. Has anyone had this problem and found a solution? My blood tests are all normal and my doctor just says to deal with it, but sheesh, there has to be some herb or something that would help.

I think your fine. Some people sweat more then others. For a girl, I sweat like crazy. I can come back from a long distance run and look like I was running in the rain. And I usually start sweating on the 2nd lap of the first mile lol. I sweat so much that I have to be careful what sport bars I wear cause the sweat will eat right through my skin. Again I sweat more than other girls or even men. Doc says its normal so I live with it.
  • Espressocycle
    Options
    I'm not in any physical danger, of course, but it's awfully annoying. I'm going to try tincture of sage. Can't hurt.
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    That's gotta suck, I don't know what else to say other than that.
  • Grandysl
    Options
    I have the same issue. I did read that some people as they get more fit become better at cooling themselves, which translates to more sweat. I have to change shirts and socks during my workout because everything gets sooo soaked. It is also hard to stop sweating even after showering!!!
  • reneewatkins3388
    Options
    I used to sweat like this since childhood and I had a odor. Everything that I tried would work temporarily. Until I finally started using a soaking solution called

Healthy Skin Detox at www.kimgim.myshopify.com

I now sell it at an introductory rate of $10.00 to help share with others what finally worked for me after 40 years. Hope it works for you as well.
  • llpaq
    llpaq Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I don't think there is anything 'wrong' either- some of us are just blessed that way :) It does rid our body of toxins, we have more clear skin, less dry skin, but we have to take in more water- which can lead to more sweat. None the less, I wouldn't "sweat" it. As long as you're not stinky I wouldn't think it's an issue. I sweat a lot for a girl, but it doesn't bother me, I think the alternative would be rarely sweating and that would suck. Hang in there and change your clothes right away so you don't get rashes- you'll be good- with great skin :)
  • tabbyavalon
    Options
    i have the same problem ive noticed its worse when ive had coffee or wine, so i'm just dealing with it theres no way im quiting wine an booze they r my bestest :)