Hip flexors...???

Options
I have recently realized that sometimes in an exercise class when the trainer says "You should really feel this in your abs." I am not. Instead, I am feeling it in my hip flexors. (BTW - I had to look that up. I'm pretty ignorant about this stuff.) I did some research and discovered something called "hip flexor dominance" which has something to do with your body using your hip flexors to stabilize your pelvis instead of your body using your core to do so. It's common with people who have had desk jobs. (Like me.) This can result in back pain and other issues, but also results in your hip flexors doing the job your abs are supposed to be doing during ab exercises. Consequently, you don't feel it in your abs, and don't reap the intended benefits of those exercises.

One piece of advice is to avoid certain ab exercises, but also to concentrate on keeping your lower back and pelvis in contact with the mat when doing floor ab exercises.

Does this make any sense to anyone? If so, do you have any other advice?

Replies

• margojr4
    margojr4 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    What exercise is it when the trainer says "you should feel it in your abs" Crunches? Leg lifts?
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    This is interesting. But yeah, in a lot of DVDs that I do, they remind you that during ab exercises that you need to keep your lower back rooted to the ground. Sometimes I forget, then correct myself and immediately feel it in the abs.
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Yes...the old desk job phenomenon :) I enjoy working with many "office bound" athletes and exercise enthusiasts while helping them to understand sitting causes the hip flexor to shorten and simultaneously causes the gluteal muscle(butt) to flatten out/atrophy.

Stretching tight hip flexors allows you to become more aware of the tension in the appropriate area and strengthening the glutes with hip extension work will balance the two areas in the pelvic region. Once you've learned and are more aware "in touch" with the feeling of these muscles...learning to isolate abdominal contractions is just a simple step in focused awareness to push hips (pelvis) into ball or floor during exhalation and forward flexion. Think about the little black bugs we saw as kids when we picked up a big flat rock and they would scurry away. We'd flick them with our finger and they'd roll into a ball....that's called forward flexion...rolling into the ball shape. :)

Make sense?

For more info contact us me here or:

Emile Jarreau,aka, Mr. Fat Loss
    Bea Fox Fox Elite
    M2 Fitness Pros,LBC

M2Fitness@gmail.com
    https://www.facebook.com/emile.jarreau
    lol...no advertising here..nope never happens.

Posting that info on the interwebz, you're just asking for you mailbox to be bombed, and your phone be inundated with drunk calls..lol
  • crazybusymara
    crazybusymara Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I totally understand - I am very curious to see what others say and would love a stretch to do for this -
  • elperrogigante
    Options
    I've been running for several months (and having lots of success), but I'm also a desk jockey and now I'm starting to feel pain in my hip flexors too. This actually isn't an unusual ailment for runners so today I sought out the hip flexor machine at the gym and did some work to start to strengthen those muscles. Additionally, I've been doing a LOT of stretching to get these muscles looser. Do a quick google search and you'll find a lot of stretches for tight and ailing hip flexors. There are a lot of youtube videos out there as well.

It's a pretty common ailment. You're not alone.
  • merwin614
    Options
    As an instructor myself, exercises and guidelines are constantly changing. One being abdominal exercises. A lot of people who have been heavy duty abs on the ground for years are now having back pain to include compressed discs. When you move your legs into your upper body, you are primarily using your hip flexors. A lot of people will say it is an abdominal "feel" because the flexor actually crosses the hip and attaches in the core. Your best bet is to sit on a "ball" and lift your upper body vs. your lower body. Be careful that you are not pulling from the neck and shoulders. Your entire upper body should lift as a single unit. There are a lot of other modifications you can make to help correct this problem. Do your homework. Just because somebody says they are an instructor doesn't mean they know what they are doing or have current education/information. Trust me, I've made plenty of mistakes and have learned from them in my 18 years. Also, because you sit a lot, it's important that you stretch those flexors throughout the day. This can be done by extending the leg back in a modified "lunge" position and then pulling the leg forward again. Try dynamic stretching throughout the day and some exercise after work will be beneficial as well. Get in the pool and do so deep water skis. Totally stretch those out! Sorry for a lot of information, but it's hard to trust everything you hear and everyone's different. Hope this helps and best of luck!!:smile:
  • positivepineapple
    Options
    I don't work a desk job but I feel it in my hip flexors, (tensor fasciae latae to be exact :-)) when I do bicycles and crunchy frogs...... Its pretty normal, its not a disorder or anything.
  • inotnew
    inotnew Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    bump - good information to know
  • jteammom
    Options
    As an instructor myself, exercises and guidelines are constantly changing. One being abdominal exercises. A lot of people who have been heavy duty abs on the ground for years are now having back pain to include compressed discs. When you move your legs into your upper body, you are primarily using your hip flexors. A lot of people will say it is an abdominal "feel" because the flexor actually crosses the hip and attaches in the core. Your best bet is to sit on a "ball" and lift your upper body vs. your lower body. Be careful that you are not pulling from the neck and shoulders. Your entire upper body should lift as a single unit. There are a lot of other modifications you can make to help correct this problem. Do your homework. Just because somebody says they are an instructor doesn't mean they know what they are doing or have current education/information. Trust me, I've made plenty of mistakes and have learned from them in my 18 years. Also, because you sit a lot, it's important that you stretch those flexors throughout the day. This can be done by extending the leg back in a modified "lunge" position and then pulling the leg forward again. Try dynamic stretching throughout the day and some exercise after work will be beneficial as well. Get in the pool and do so deep water skis. Totally stretch those out! Sorry for a lot of information, but it's hard to trust everything you hear and everyone's different. Hope this helps and best of luck!!:smile:

Wow! Thank you!
  • MrsWonderland
    MrsWonderland Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I would of had to look Hip Flexors up too. I recently went to a chiropractor and didnt realize how out of line my body was, one leg was longer than the other for one thing. Since being adjusted I feel better, I walk better, my posture is better than ever and my exercize and dancing has improved. Maybe something you might want to look into. I never thought I would go to a chiropractor let alone recomend it, but its amazing how I feel now.