Eating out

Options
I think this is a great app/website and it keeps me accountable. However, I sometimes lose my momentum with it if I start eating out a decent amount and have a hard time finding calorie or nutritional info for the food I am eating. I know for most chain, fast food, or popular restaurants there is nutritional information available but smaller places seem to be much harder to find.

Any tips or suggestions on how I can get this information would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• LisaKC
    LisaKC Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Wish I had a good answer for this, but I don't. I've had the same problem. Sometimes I try to make an informed guess by looking up calories for various dishes and averaging them all out. There's no guarantee that it's even close to how your restaurant prepared it, though. I find this especially difficult with small ethic restaurants. Will be interested to see what others are doing about this.
  • kikicooks
    kikicooks Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    Really the only way to deal with this is to not eat out. I know that's not the answer you are looking for but it's true. But, if you do eat out frequently all you can do is estimate with things that are similar in the database. Even if a restaurant has nutritional info on their site, it's not always accurate so you aren't getting true numbers anyway.
  • trixiemou
    trixiemou Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Hi, I try to find something that sort of looks right either from a chain or by calculating from the natural ingredients. I then hope that I have some leeway in my days before and after to compensate.I also try to work in some exercise and only eat back part of the calories burned. That way again it gives me some to play with.

Hope this helps.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    Hi, I try to find something that sort of looks right either from a chain or by calculating from the natural ingredients. I then hope that I have some leeway in my days before and after to compensate.I also try to work in some exercise and only eat back part of the calories burned. That way again it gives me some to play with.

Hope this helps.

This is what I do too. So if I had baked haddock I do a search for baked haddock first, sort of average it out, then I'll do like 4oz haddock, 2tbsp butter, 1/4c bread crumbs, etc. and come up with my best estimate. If I don't have a lot of time I'll just put quick cals. Also if I know I'm going out, I'll add extra time/intensity to my workout that day to make up for the (likely) higher cals than I normally eat.
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    With time and practice you become better at eyeballing amounts, tasting butter or other ingredients (adding them in as appropriate), and approximating nutrition.

As someone else said though, there's no way to foolproof it unless you don't eat out.
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    I love to eat out!
  • evereadysmile
    Options
    I love to eat out!

I came to this thread looking to see if someone made this comment. I knew MFP wouldn't let me down. :D
  • JMFresh
    JMFresh Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I've called and/or emailed restaurants before to ask... sometimes they'll provide info, usually they just ignore me. Worth a shot though. Otherwise, like everyone else is saying - try to figure it out with comparable foods in the database... or eat a home.
  • Rmazula
    Rmazula Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Yes, this is very difficult. When I eat out with friends if we are going to a place with nutritional information, I plan it before I go out. If not, I eye the right portions and order foods that say grilled or baked etc and can substitute steamed veggies for starches, things like that. Even then though... I try my best.

And just say no to the free bread they give you and cocktails. 1 Beer I find is okay, but I have found the calories in a fruity drink to be much much more.
  • pamperedlinny
    pamperedlinny Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options

Hope this helps.

This is what I do too. So if I had baked haddock I do a search for baked haddock first, sort of average it out, then I'll do like 4oz haddock, 2tbsp butter, 1/4c bread crumbs, etc. and come up with my best estimate. If I don't have a lot of time I'll just put quick cals. Also if I know I'm going out, I'll add extra time/intensity to my workout that day to make up for the (likely) higher cals than I normally eat.

^^all of this.
  • gcdc85
    Options
    Wow, thanks for all the replies. I will take them all in to consideration. I need to use the message boards more often on this website.

Cheers.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I love to eat out!

So would this equate to negative calories? (I would assume you burn some even though your are "eating")
  • bostongeek
    bostongeek Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I love to eat out!

I came to this thread looking to see if someone made this comment. I knew MFP wouldn't let me down. :D

same lol

and then there were all these fully appropriate responses and I was like :huh:
  • deniseearheart
    deniseearheart Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I eat out once a week... I don't stress out that much over it. I just make sure it fits in my calories
  • LadyIntrepid
    LadyIntrepid Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it really is just too hard to figure out so I generally don't log meals out. What I do do, however, is look at the menu beforehand to try to suss out the best selections, and then before even putting a fork in, cut the meal in half and put it in a to go bag. I've not left hungry yet.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    I love to eat out!

damn...im too late.
  • lenniebus
    lenniebus Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I just do the best I can and make sure I exercise on those days so I have more wiggle room. I'm getting better at picking lower calorie choices, and if I feel like splurging, just eating smaller portions. I'm not sure how well it is working for me, but I don't want to give up eating out all together.
  • jillybean_75
    jillybean_75 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    LOL. Awesome sarcastic/dirty minds on here.
  • Yukongil
    Yukongil Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    every chain restaurant will have their food tested and logged. A google search of "restaurnt's name + nutrition" should bring up what you need. If you know where you are going before stepping out, look em up and see what they offer nutrition wise and that should help you eat out...also...tongue stretches to avoid cramping:tongue:
  • tbear60
    Options
    We tend to eat out at a lot of mom and pop places as well as bars, since we are usually on our motorcycle when we eat out. I have a few favorite items found in most places and just stick with them. Not as exciting as trying new things but works for me. If you know ahead of time you can always google them and see if they do have a menu to look over, even without the nutrition info. you can usually still find chains that have that same food this also gives you a chance to take your time and pick out something after reviewing/researching it. Instead of just picking it because they are standing there waiting for you to decide! LOL
    Like the others said, look up several just like it and then average. Just don't get too hung up on it, takes away the enjoyment of going out to eat and in that case, why go out! Cheaper to buy a steak and/or lobster and fix it at home.