I Gained 92 lbs in one day.

Options

Replies

• nikinyx6
    nikinyx6 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Deer season is coming, I intend to stock up too :)
  • sarahharmintx
    sarahharmintx Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I LOVE this idea and as soon as I get all the venison out of the freezer, Im going to have to look into this! Thanks so much!
  • CandeesLand
    Options
    Bump!
  • TNcrafter
    Options
    Smart move.Whish I had a freezer too.
  • PhilyPhresh
    PhilyPhresh Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Yes, I gained 92 lbs. Or rather, my chest freezer did.

lol, with headlines like that you had aught to right for the tabloids...
    Note to vegans... you might want to click off of this post now.

:laugh: :drinker:
  • mcn79
    mcn79 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    As an apartment dweller I don't have the freezer space, which makes me sad, and I also, unfortunately, don't have the cash flow BUT I wish I had both because I'd do this in a heartbeat. Good for you!
  • chelsifina
    chelsifina Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    What a super fantastic idea!!!! I live in Austin, and I'm positive there must be something like that around here. We usually end up with a whole deer each year (we don't hunt, different people seem to give this to us for some reason each year) but I have never thought of investing in a cow! Lovely. Thanks for sharing!!
  • KJoy7
    KJoy7 Posts: 246
    Options
    You are my hero....
  • cmpollard01
    Options
    My family used to ev ery year get either a whole pig or a whole cow from a raiser/butcher and it was seriously the best stuff ever. I can't remember why we stopped but you made me want to look into it!
    Also my uncle is a cattle rancher in Illinois and I swear to god those cows are happier than I am. They have 42 acres to do whatever it is cows do all day. And they end up delicious! haha.

I have an uncle 30 minutes from me in Amelia, VA who raises cattle-Black Angus and Charolais mixes. And I too think they're happier than I am! I need to see if I can mooch some beef off of him!
  • CarSidDar
    CarSidDar Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I love beef heart. Stick an onion inside. Cook it slowly like a roast. and enjoy with horseradish :) mmmmmmmmmmmmmm
  • mvl1014
    mvl1014 Posts: 531
    Options
    I've been doing CSA for a few years and bought 540lbs of cow maybe 2 weeks ago.

Also, just putting this out there: I friggin hate Michael Pollan.
  • GibblesandBits8064
    Options
    Sounds like you almost bought a whole cow! Wish I had enough money at one time to do something like that. But, for that I'd also have to wish for a chest freezer:tongue:!
  • willowdancer
    Options
    Thats a lot of beef!

Its really great that you are doing the things that you are doing. My family is on a very tight budget and we didn't have room in said budget to participate in our local CSA's or anything like that. Luckily I am a gardening fanatic and was lucky enough to come into raising rabbits with no cost; its amazing how much free stuff you can get from people on stuff like Craigs list and just getting the word out. I got a three cage hutch for rabbits and three rabbits for free, all the water bottles and everything included. The rabbits were young (leftover from Easter when people bought them as wee-bitty things for their kids as gifts and don't feel like keeping them anymore) so they aren't old enough to breed, but I am hoping to set up a meat operation where we are raising our own rabbit meat Rabbits are very inexpensive to raise and for the same amount of natural resources (food, water, etc) that it takes to raise a cow you get 6 times as much meat from rabbits. I could geek out about it all day, but the short version is you may want to look into finding someone around you who raises rabbits!

feel free to note me or something if you are interested in learning more. :)
  • love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Sounds great! I recall an old boyfriend from Peru cooking a beef heart on the grill. I'm not sure how he prepared it, but I was surprised to discover it was delicious!
  • shokes718
    shokes718 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I'm also dying to do this but don't have the freezer space. Does anyone know of a good website where I can get a few pounds at a reasonable price? My local farmers market is closing for the season.

I'm gonna add you OP if you don't mind!
  • caribougal
    caribougal Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    How long does the meat last? My food budget is $1000/yr, so the cow would be over half, and I don't think I could eat that much cow without getting sick of it if the meat lasted only a year.

I think that meat will last me a year for sure, and it's probably too much for a year. I'm sure I'll end up gifting some to my mom and neighbors. We'll see how it goes, but next year I may split the 1/4 cow, now that I see how much there is. I knew I would be getting a lot, but I couldn't really conceptualize it until it went in the freezer.

So maybe finding 1-2 other people to split the 1/4 with would be workable for you.
  • caribougal
    Options
    Why do I keep reading your posts; you are always making me so jealous! And hungry!

But glad that more and more people are concerned about the quality of meat, not just for our health, but for the health of the animals and environment. There is nothing unethical about consuming other life, because we aren't able to harness our own energy from the sun. Plants and animals are both living beings and we must eat them (or at least one of them) to live. There's no need for an ethical stance (imo) on what kind of life we consume EXCEPT that every life form has the right to a healthy, happy life while they are living and to be treated with respect while harvesting. I hate abuse, and that even extends to plants in regards to what is happening in the food industry in the last century.

I'm not perfect, except the wild food that I occasionally get given to me, I do have to rely on the garbage in the store, but I do the best I can and I am researching to find a meat supplier who will ship to me.

I love your posts Caribougal. I have moments of thinking that I need to move to Colorado (or other places where food choice exists in abundance)... but this Arctic dweller doesn't transplant well to the south. :wink:

I know just the perfect butcher to set you up with. :-)
  • MissCarter79
    MissCarter79 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    That is awesome!
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    My dad and I were thinking about going half-and-half on a quarter cow this year. That sounds like a much better idea now that I have a ballpark idea of just how much meat it is. I'll remember to call dibs on the T-bones!
  • caribougal
    Options
    this post is bad *kitten*. way to go girl. my parent's have been doing this for years. they go all in with a friend and split a whole cow, so i usually end up with about 20 pounds of different cuts. and, i recently got a 15 pound pork share from my local veggie csa for $40 bucks! booyah.

Nice score!