Financially stressed out...

Options
WalkingGirl1985
WalkingGirl1985 Posts: 2,047 Member
Okay, I need to vent somewhere. I'm sure some of you are in the same situation so let just vent here if you need it. My fiancee and I live on one income..It's not very much. It is enough to pay for rent, bills and have food stamps (thank the Lord, or we would be starving). I do mostly get healthy things, but when the end of the month rolls around, and we go broke. I have to settle with more processed crap, which takes a toll on my salt content, but grateful its food and to survive on it can't afford to replace my running shoes every 6 months..I can't afford to go to every race out there..and I feel for the homeless. I have given food, even money, and volunteered my time to help them so i know we could be far worse, so im trying not to complain..but its tough. My fiancee should finish school by may in the technology industry in less then a year..(hopefully) hope things get better for us, so please pray for us if you can. How is everyone doing or dealing?

Replies

• TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    He can't go to school and work part time?

I part time income could really make this easier.
  • Dub_D
    Dub_D Posts: 1,760 Member
    Options
    Tell your husband to get a part time job!
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Fiancee needs a job. Stat. I worked 3 jobs through college getting a history degree writing papers, reading books etc all the time. My Mom worked FT and went to school FT with two kids and going through a divorce.

I know you didn't really ask for the advice, but geez. This is NOT a burden you should have to bear alone. He should be working.
  • WalkingGirl1985
    Options
    He is still looking at this time, just no offers yet and nothing has came up yet.
  • LiveLaffLoseLove
    Options
    It is tough... We live on 2 incomes, my husband does lots of little side jobs on his days off... Have 2 kids and a house and barely get by. I feel for you, but maybe he could get a part-time job. My hubby works midnights and cuts lawns and repairs cars during the day... so its tough, but something more can always be done. Good Luck
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    He is still looking at this time, just no offers yet and nothing has came up yet.

Part time jobs are a dime a dozen...

Grocery Stores, Fast Food, Gas Stations
  • MikeM53082
    MikeM53082 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    He has to get some income stream. Hell, cut lawns, rake leaves, or shovel snow.. he should just do SOMETHING.

Let him know that the lack of money stresses you out.
  • WalkingGirl1985
    Options
    He knows.
  • fabfindz05
    fabfindz05 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    There are several retailers looking for folks to hire for the holiday season.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I don't answer the phone.

EDIT: Thank the gods for chocolate.
  • MidlifeGlowUp
    MidlifeGlowUp Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I wanted to add my voice to the chorus. Fiancee needs to bring in a paycheck. In the 90's I worked my way through undergrad with a parttime job, and I'm currently working my way through graduate school. It can be done. It won't strain him unreasonably, and it will relieve a lot of the pressure on you.
  • Tamisha15
    Tamisha15 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    With the holiday season approaching he may be able to get a seansonal job. I understand what you mean. When my husband was going to school I was the only one bringing in income plus we had our first son but now that I look back it was all worth it. Hang in there and try to be creative. Also, get a Sam's or Costco memebership if you can afford it. You can buy alot of things in bulk like Chicken and fish.

You are in my prayers :-)
  • rachelrb85
    rachelrb85 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Fiancee needs a job. Stat. I worked 3 jobs through college getting a history degree writing papers, reading books etc all the time. My Mom worked FT and went to school FT with two kids and going through a divorce.

I know you didn't really ask for the advice, but geez. This is NOT a burden you should have to bear alone. He should be working.

I second this.... I also worked 3 jobs while going to school full-time for accounting. Definitely possible!
  • morah29
    morah29 Posts: 107
    Options
    I have to agree with everyone else... he needs a job...I am sorry but really he could find a part time job flipping burgers and it would help..... what would be doing for money if it wasn't for you? I don't see good things happening with this in the end.......
  • BSchoberg
    BSchoberg Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Do NOT get pregnant! Be vigilant about it, cut him off, whatever you have to do... do not have that additional set of expenses!
  • Dub_D
    Dub_D Posts: 1,760 Member
    Options
    Do NOT get pregnant! Be vigilant about it, cut him off, whatever you have to do... do not have that additional set of expenses!

Wait.. did I miss something?
  • Amryfal
    Amryfal Posts: 225
    Options
    did the OP ask for advice? i must have missed that. it's obviously pretty easy to just "go get a job" right now. i just left GRAD SCHOOL qualified to teach college, and after four months unemployed, i was lucky to snag a part-time contract job this semester, pays about $400 a month, after two years of university teaching experience. i'm sure the OP's fiancé knows he should get a job.

hang in there, OP. i know how hard it is to do this on a tight budget - i have three kids to feed and my fiancé has two, and i'm lucky he has a full time job - he hates it, but it's keeping us afloat right now. barely. you just do the best you can with the food and the diet, and keep working at making things better. don't let it bog you down.
  • dendalee
    dendalee Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I worked a full-time job - raised two children essentially by myself because my husband works out of town. You can do whatever you put your mind to. That's the key! He has to want it.

Time to tell hubby to get a job. Obviously it's causing you some serious stress, so it might be a good time to address it before it gets any worse and causes a strain on your relationship.
  • HotAshMess
    HotAshMess Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Listen.....feeling for the homeless is one thing. I'm sure you're not at this point yet, but what good are you doing anyone if by helping the homeless, you make yourself homeless? Know what I mean? When things get tight, you gotta tighten up. Stop giving money, stop giving food....get yourself in a place where doing so doesn't remove money you need from your account and food from your pantry. Volunteering is great and I think it is better for your karma than just giving food. And, you're burning calories!

Feel free to add me/check me out on cheap-o meals. I found a great bean burrito recipe last week...between beans <$2, tortillas <$2, sour cream <$2, and cheese $2......less than $8 that served me and bf for dinner, lunch for me the next day and dinner for him that night.

It's rough...really rough. I know working 40 hours is hard, but maybe you can pick up a little 5-10 hour a week part time job and he could do the same. I do it every year for Christmas. It can help if you can find a way to make it work, I know you didn't ask for advice. But I hope things get easier. Many of us are in the same boat.
    Hang in there!
  • ajsminer
    ajsminer Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I hear your frustration. Do you have a local farmers market you can visit? Sometimes if you go the last hour they are open you can get some great deals because they don't want to carry it home to rot. Offer half price on their veggies and fruits, worth a shot :) Also, get creative with your finances. See what around the house you can sell. Hold a garage sale or take some stuff to a used clothing store. Do you guys have any bills you can trim? The paper, cable, eating out, and such... I recently called our cable/phone/internet provider and talked them down from $177 a month to $110. BOO YA!! Be honest with yourself and with your fiancee about the money situation. Sit down and TALK IT OUT. Because marriage does not make money problems go away... Dave Ramsey has some good advice. So does Suze Orman, Best of luck to you!! Run that frustration out, don't stress eat ;) opps, that's my issue... oy!