Lasik with Coupons/Deals via GroupOn/LivingSocial

Options
fenrirGrey
fenrirGrey Posts: 110 Member
What do you guys think about getting Lasik done via deals? I know it is your eyes and you don't want to play around by getting discounts. But if anyone has reviews on either one of the places providing these deals - I'd greatly appreciate it.

GroupOn deal: $2495 at Sheth-Horsley Eye Center
For both eyes, including pre/post consultations.
http://www.groupon.com/deals/sheth-horsley-eye-center-2?pt=aUGR_bQIAAAC_t48GyAhQVC_l0CGX2254

Living Social Deal: $999 at Icon Lasik
For both eyes, including pre/post consultations for six months
http://www.livingsocial.com/cities/1711-denver-citywide/deals/468590-lasik-surgery-for-both-eyes#

Any first hand reviews? Am I foolish to even consider this?

TLC that I have got first hand reviews from charges $4900 for both eyes including life time guarantee.

Replies

• fenrirGrey
    fenrirGrey Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    bump
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I would do it after I researched the company, doctor et al. Research is your best defense.
  • Mistyblu08
    Mistyblu08 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    yup research the facility and doc that would be doing it- make sure they have a bunch under their belt and no pt issues after the fact....dont just go by what they say...do some digging :) I have been thinking about it myself but it has me nervous lol My 72 year old Mom just had it done a week ago and so far so good :)
  • Philllbis
    Philllbis Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    As long as the company is reputable it should be all good. Now using my prostate exam coupon that was written in crayon was problbly not a good idea. I don't think he was a real doctor either!!
  • Mistyblu08
    Mistyblu08 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    As long as the company is reputable it should be all good. Now using my prostate exam coupon that was written in crayon was problbly not a good idea. I don't think he was a real doctor either!!

LMBO interesting coupon!
  • HRCephei
    HRCephei Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I had LASIK done four years ago. Not sure you wanna go the "deal" route. I spent $6000, but went with a doctor in Houston who helped pioneer it. And I'm not sure what "lifetime guarantee" means.....
  • corn63
    Options
    I had LASIK done four years ago. Not sure you wanna go the "deal" route. I spent $6000, but went with a doctor in Houston who helped pioneer it. And I'm not sure what "lifetime guarantee" means.....

Usually lifetime guarantee means if you need a touch up over the years, they'll redo it.
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'd research everything. Those are actually good deals. I've been looking into getting it within the next few years, but then I just got my new glasses and I really like them LOL. I think it would just be cheaper to get Lasik instead of buying glasses and contacts and whatnot.
  • HRCephei
    Options

Usually lifetime guarantee means if you need a touch up over the years, they'll redo it.

Why would you need a touch-up? They fix your eyes, right?
  • xxthoroughbred
    xxthoroughbred Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I know too many people who have had Lasix go "wrong" -- they still need glasses/contacts, have infections afterward, etc. I've done research on it because I have GPC that isn't clearing up but have found too much against it for me to want to do it. But if you're researching well and think it's for you, I'd definitely use a deal on it.
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options

No, a friend of mine had it and will have to go to have it done again at some point because your vision continues to deteriorate as you get older - or so he told me.
  • HRCephei
    Options

No, a friend of mine had it and will have to go to have it done again at some point because your vision continues to deteriorate as you get older - or so he told me.

Fascinating
  • corn63
    Options

Troof. And when you get pregnant, your eyes change as well. Our eyes are constantly changing as we get older.
  • JenKillough
    JenKillough Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Research, find reviews, and maybe try to talk to people who've used those docs before... The $999 deal seems almost too good to be true. I'm considering having Lasik done and I've looked into who I'm going to use. In this case, when it involves the eyes, I'm going with the best. Not going to play around with this one. And the cost is around $3K for the docs I've chosen to go with.

Just do your research.
  • heddylyn
    heddylyn Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I noticed one of your links was for a living social deal in Colorado? If you're in Colorado I can tell you that my husband had his LASIK done at Icon Lasik and had a great experience. He wasn't quite 20/20 after the first procedure in one of his eyes so they did a free touch-up 6 months later and he has had no problems since. (This was 2 years ago). Their big endorser in the Denver office is John Elway. His picture is all over the place in the office. Pretty funny. :)
  • newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    My girlfriend got the deal earlier this year for Sheth-Horsley Eye Center. Everything went fine and she now has better than 20/20 vision. I'd be doing it myself if the surgery didn't freak me out so much.
  • crimsoncat
    crimsoncat Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    My mother got lasik done at the Cleveland Clinic. I would feel comfortable with the doctor if they did the following:

-Met with you to discuss your concerns in a pre-lim appointment
    -Talked about the risks of lasiks, the odd of complications and the time to heal
    -Mentioned known problems like impaired night vision
    -Explained how they would avoid those problems
    -Told me where they were trained, how long the training took (I'd like at LEAST a board certification in the field of Ophthalmology)
    -Showed me pictures of previous surgeries THEY have done themselves
    -Explained to me what the surgery was, how long it would take and the techniques involved
    -Explained why I should go to them over another surgeon

Speaking as a future doctor (of animals) you want someone who LOVES to do this type of surgery because they will be attentive and excited about the work. Anyone who is doing it begrudgingly makes me concerned.

Check out these qualifications: Your doctor should have at least some of them:

http://my.clevelandclinic.org/eye/services/lasik_surgery_laser_vision_correction/surgeons.aspx
  • AReasor
    AReasor Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    A friend did this awhile ago(years). Now his eyes don't quite blink at the same time. It's disturbing.
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    If you have cheap eyes, get a cheap surgery.
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    personally- i would never go to a place that offers coupons for lazik. There's a reason they are so desperate for business. They either are bad or there are hidden fees or something. When it comes to groceries- yeah, ill use a coupon. But body parts, um no. Just go to the best doctor you can find.