c25k question

Hi All,
I am in my second week of C25K, training to run a 5K on Thanksgiving! My question is for next week, week 3 when the workout is "Jog 200 yards, walk 200 yards, jog 400 yards, walk 400 yards". I was thinking of doing this run on my local high school's track. How do I measure the "yards" as close to accurate as possible?? The internet/google has been rather confusing-are the markings on the track going to be good markings to follow? Any fellow C25K runners who could offer some advice would be much appreciated!

Replies

• 200 yards is about the whole lap around the track, maybe a little bit less than. I learned a great way to help keep track of what you are running on the track is by counting the lanes and it also prevents you from constantly thinking about "how many laps am i in", if it is a 6 lane track, start in the 6th lane, and move 5,4,3,2,1,1,2,3,4,5,6. and you will have ran a 5K!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    I thought I could help, but my c25k program measured by time rather than yards....I had an app that would tell me when to run, when to walk, and it was all timed. I never worried about the actual distance I was covering until I got to the end of the program, then I made sure (with my Runkeepr app) that I was covering the entire 5k distance.
  • CorrieJane
    CorrieJane Posts: 249 Member
    Oh, forgot to mention that I think 1 lap around my track is 1/4 mile-will confirm with the school.
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Can you sorta guesstimate?
  • _danjo_
    _danjo_ Posts: 134 Member
    Usually a school track is 400 meters (roughly 400 yards), or 1/4 mile. There are likely lane markings that can guide you to 200 yds, based on what lane you're running in.

If you have an iphone or ipod, there is a c25k app (actually, I think there are a few, but I don't know about droid) that tell you when to run and when to walk. It is based on time rather than distance.

hth
  • I plan to use GPS. at the track, 200 yards might be 3/4 of a lap, since each straight away is 100 yards. and a football field is about 50 yards wide. It may only be half a lap. Yes one lap is 1/4 mile.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    In the first few weeks, you can just use the time frames (90 seconds, 3 minutes, etc) instead. Since I have been doing C25K by jogging in place, I have only gone by the timing, not the distance.
  • fefe0201
    fefe0201 Posts: 49 Member
    Sorry thought I could help also, but mines is time,
    my week 2 is 1.5m run 2mins walk x4 then 1min run 1min walk x2
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    One quarter mile (a lap around the track) is 440 yards, so you'll want to go about run halfway, then walk the rest of the way, then run one lap then walk one lap.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Yep, a standard athletics track is 440 yards. Like Amy, I did c25k with an app that measures time. I don't think I'd have a clue to do it by guessing distances. Good luck!