What happens if I don't eat up to the cal

Options

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    depending on how many meals you eat, you could try having smaller, more frequent meals throughout the day. instead of three 500 kcal meals, try six 300 calorie meals

I eat a lot of snacks but when I eat "big meals" it would be around 200-400 calories.

A "big meal" is only 200-400 cals? My snacks are that much!
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    depending on how many meals you eat, you could try having smaller, more frequent meals throughout the day. instead of three 500 kcal meals, try six 300 calorie meals

I eat a lot of snacks but when I eat "big meals" it would be around 200-400 calories.
    that's your problem--quite simply 200 calories is a large snack NOT a small meal.

3 eggs = 210 calories, 1 oz cheese = 100 calories, 1 slice toast = 70 w/ 1/2 tbsp butter=50 calories. TOTAL: 430 calories

1 oz pasta = 180, 1 oz olive oil = 120, 1 cup veggies = 30, 4oz chicken/shrimp = 120. TOTAL: 450 calories

1 cup yogurt =120 calories, 1 serving whole grian cereal = 100 calories, 1 cup berries = 75 calories (ish), 1 oz nuts = 160 TOTAL: 455 calories
  • BIRT1956
    BIRT1956 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    How did you do it when you gained your weight?
    I would have to ask the same question. If you can eat enough to gain weight, why can't you eat enough to lose the weight?:happy:
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Nothing bad will happen. You won't starve or go into the mythical "starvation mode".

AGREED! There's a great article here on MFP about the starvation myth. I wish I knew the link. But basically it says that even IF you go into "starvation mode" it doesn't mean that you aren't losing weight, it just means your metabolism slows.

Personally, I've learned to "use" them for a treat. I like a glass of wine but I've also learned that wine could be the cause of my headaches so I just started gluten free beer. One a night if I have a few calories left and I WANT it - a treat of sorts, for not going OVER. But it's OK not to eat all your calories. Especially one or two days.

but why would you want to do something which you know will slow your metabolism, make you sluggish and slow your progress when you can eat more, have more energy and loose the same amount of weight ?
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    Nothing bad will happen. You won't starve or go into the mythical "starvation mode".

AGREED! There's a great article here on MFP about the starvation myth. I wish I knew the link. But basically it says that even IF you go into "starvation mode" it doesn't mean that you aren't losing weight, it just means your metabolism slows.

Personally, I've learned to "use" them for a treat. I like a glass of wine but I've also learned that wine could be the cause of my headaches so I just started gluten free beer. One a night if I have a few calories left and I WANT it - a treat of sorts, for not going OVER. But it's OK not to eat all your calories. Especially one or two days.

but why would you want to do something which you know will slow your metabolism, make you sluggish and slow your progress when you can eat more, have more energy and loose the same amount of weight ?

seriously! SMH. people are just absurd.
  • mearlie
    mearlie Posts: 224
    Options

Well the link explains it much better than I can, but there are studies to prove you won't go into starvation mode for one or two days of not eating all your calories. Anyone know where I got that article?
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Forget starvation mode in the short run. But you should eat enough to keep functioning well. Easy ways to add calories:

Milk and cheese
    butter, olive oil, oil
    rice, bread, quiona
    beans, lentils
    figs, dates, nuts

Anything that forms the basis of some culture's diet has lots of calories in it

Toast, butter, and orange juice is a few hundred calories
  • x_JT_x
    x_JT_x Posts: 364
    Options

Have you lived it? Have you eaten 1,000 - 1,200 calories a day for years on end and not gained weight? No? Then how can you say, with any knowledge or conviction, that it won't happen? Because you read it somewhere?
  • birdieaz
    birdieaz Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    So you gained weight eating under 1500 cal? Wow interesting.
  • x_JT_x
    x_JT_x Posts: 364
    Options

Yes. I did/do. Until very recently (the last couple of weeks I've made a concerted effort to reach 1,300 cals some days I can, but most fall short) I averaged around 1,100 cals - many days under 1,000 - and I am overweight.
  • jacksonpt
    Options

Yes. I did/do. Until very recently (the last couple of weeks I've made a concerted effort to reach 1,300 cals some days I can, but most fall short) I averaged around 1,100 cals - many days under 1,000 - and I am overweight.

Please elaborate.

How long of a time frame are we talking? How much weight did you gain? What did you weight prior? How much were you eating each day? Were you weight/measuring everything? Were you exercising at all? Any health issues?
  • mearlie
    mearlie Posts: 224
    Options
  • kaylabrianna
    Options
    You'll be fine, don't eat if you don't want to :)
  • Jipples
    Jipples Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    What happens if I don't eat up to the calories I have to eat? Mine is 1500 but how am I to eat 1500 when about 1200-1300 I'm already extremely full.

death
  • OnTheWayToPerfection
    Options
    Take it for what it is. If you feel full, don't force yourself to eat. You'll just feel miserable.
    Listen to your body. That's number one.

And ignore all of the know-it-alls.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    Take it for what it is. If you feel full, don't force yourself to eat. You'll just feel miserable.
    Listen to your body. That's number one.

And ignore all of the know-it-alls.

Be careful with this... While the notion is a good one, a lot of people "listened to their bodies" and that's why they need a site like this. If I listened to my body I wouldn't be able to fit through the doorway in a month's time.
  • lettie1955
    Options
    Have a look at this -

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

It will take 10 minutes to read but It honest and scientifically based advice that you should listen to

Thanks so much for posting this, I was unaware and it is great.Lots of information as well as his tip with Fat 2 Fit Tools!
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    You'll be fine, don't eat if you don't want to :)

Doesn't that contradict what you originally said before you edited your post?