Vegan / Vegetarian ideas

Options
I folks I have made a new change in my eating lifestyle and completely gave up eating meat and dairy products. Are there any other vegans / vegetarians out here on this site that can offer some recipes, advice and support? Any help would be more than greatly appreciated

Replies

• romogaleano
    romogaleano Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi< I became vegetarian May 6th of this year.It was hard ,but being it was something that no one pusehed me to do ,kept me focus,I must say I had one slip during my vacation in August .I really don't miss eating meat or poultry ,I do miss eating fish.It's hard ,but I try do use a variety of vegetables and whole grains, especially Quinoa, have you tried it.Also I started eating veggies that I had not had before, like avocado, brussel sprouts.....it's interesting because of misconcepts that I had before about being vegetarian and the lack of protein and certain vitamins,which I clarified with my Dr. I do know that if you're vegan you must take a B12 supplement.Good luck !!!
  • chynatowngirl44
    chynatowngirl44 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I will keep that in mind. I do miss fish terribly as well lol. I have tried juicing as well and will continue to do so. I think my main concern is getting enough protein in my diet as to maintain my muscle growth.
  • Jackieonappy
    Jackieonappy Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I am a vegan and meet all my nutrient goals daily. Beans, greens, tofu, tempeh, peanut butter, nuts, the protein options are endless
  • I've been vegan for almost 3 years now and absolutely love it! Check out my food diary if you want some ideas for things to eat. On a normal day I have:

Breakfast:
    -latte
    -oatmeal with blueberries and walnuts
    -tofu scramble (tofu, spinach, tomatoes, mushrooms, onions etc.) and toast
    -toast or english muffin with peanut or almond butter

Lunch:
    -salad (lettuce, beans, tofu, veggies) with a vegan dressing (my favorite dressing is red wine vinegar and then Parma! which is a vegan parmesan cheese)
    -veggies wrap (made with hummus, veggies and tempeh)
    -sandwich with veggies and tofu

Dinner:
    -Mexican Bowl: brown rice, broccoli, black beans, salsa and parma!
    -Macrobiotic Plate: brown rice/quinoa, tempeh (pan fried), steamed greens/veggies, and sauerkraut with Tahini sauce over it
    -Stir Fry: brown rice with stir fried veggies and tofu
    -eggplant and veggie burgers with marinara sauce

Hope that helps! Let me know if anyone has any great healthy vegan food that I should try :)
  • nikilovesaxl
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian. Feel free to add me :smile: .
  • jenbunboo
    jenbunboo Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Good luck! Feel free to add me for your own personal cheering section.

Personally I've found that while I have to push a little bit to meet my protein requirements (I shoot for 20% of my calories from protein every day), it really isn't all that hard. I work beans, seitan (homemade isn't that hard, freezes well, and can be made for 1/4 the price of store bought), or tofu into many of my meals. Most of my friends who track macro-nutrients have to work to keep under on fat, but I really don't have a problem with that.

Some recommendations for websites for great recipe ideas:

www.theppk.com
    ohsheglows.com
    veganyumyum.com

I have a collection of cookbooks I turn to regularly as well, hit a bookstore and browse for a while, you'll come across some amazing finds. The internet is a fantastic source or recipes, but try to find a frequented blog with user comments, or a site with reviews to help you weed out the recipes that shouldn't have made it out of the kitchen they were created in.

I stopped eating meat outside of special occasions about 4 years ago, and stopped all together two and a half years ago. Dairy, eggs, and I have a much more tumultuous affair, I eat them about twice a month now, on my way towards eliminating them completely. If you're able to go cold turkey, great for you! Don't let anybody try to make you feel lesser for making your own choices. For me, this was a health and moral based choice, I have several health problems that clear up when I eliminate meat, eggs, and dairy, and get in some good exercise. I'd rather do that than be on pills. Meat was also a moral/emotional choice (we were putting down a beloved pet, and I realized I couldn't make the disconnect between the value of his life and that of another animal.) To aid me in walking away from eggs and dairy, which are more of a health based decision, I choose not to purchase them for my home. If I have them, it is while visiting family or when I'm eating out and can't find an option on the menu other than a side salad and fries.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    I think you might want to re-evaluate what "enough" protein is. There is a lot of misinformation here on mfp regarding daily protein intake.
  • chynatowngirl44
    chynatowngirl44 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I appreciate all the advice guys, I will take all information into careful consideration and formulate the best game plan for my health and wellness. Peace to you all :-)
  • davadoto
    davadoto Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Good advice in there. I've been a vegetarian for over 12 years, and I have found the key to success is getting rid of the pre-conceived notions that food cannot be absolutely delicious without added meat. There are delicious, protein filled vegetarian meals out there with cheese or soy (paddies, sausages etc), eggs or beans. Carefull with whole eggs though for the cholesterol content. In case you are missing some of your favorite foods, try making them with meat substitutes (soy). Word to the wise: most meat substitute need added seasoning- similar to what you would add to meat. Good luck!
  • MarkNth
    Options
    Vegan here. Have some dietary issues because I had a heart attack on July 9th and am not suppose to, per The Essylstyn Diet for Heart Disease Reversal, eat nuts or ANY oil. Hard to meet caloric requirements, but doin' it. Never felt better!
  • amylovescupcakes
    amylovescupcakes Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I love being a vegetarian...just a thought.
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    I am a vegetarian! I have been one since 1995. I log every bite and my diary is open to friends.

Feel free to add me. : )
  • stralatheskinny
    Options
    this is such an awesome thread! i've been toying with vegan/pescetarianism for a while, and I am up to the challenge. The recipes on ppk.com look really good!