acne

Options
does anyone have any suggestions on what else i can do to get rid of my acne?? i thought that since i changed my diet to something healthier and exercise it wouldnt be that much, but it doesnt seem to be that way..i have used proactive before and stopped using it for a couple months then stated again and it doesnt seem to be working this time...any help will be great!

Replies

• BassBoneBabe
    BassBoneBabe Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    This might sound odd, but if you have really oily skin, try washing your face with Dawn Dish soup. It cuts through the grease! Good luck to you!
  • cool_egw
    Options
    the aveeno daily cleansing pads work for me. they come in two different kinds; get the one with the salicylic acid it in. use them once a day and it might help. just a suggestion.
  • khskr1
    khskr1 Posts: 392
    Options
    I used to have horrible acne. A combination of lowering meat intake, lots of fruits and veggies, water water water...and Boscia!! Proactive quit working for me and I stumbled across Boscia. You can get it at Sephora in JC Penny. I've used it for 5 years now and swear by it. It's natural and preservitive free! They have little travel kits you can buy which will give you a little over a months worth before you buy the big ones. That's what I did. (btw...I used Mary Kay, Murad, Proactive, nutrogena...you name it!!)

Good luck.
  • mh3939
    mh3939 Posts: 12
    Options
    Maximum strength Oxy 10 Pads work great because they exfoliate the skin. As a result, your pores will get unplugged. Another thing to check out is your hormones. If your hormones are not right, your body isn't working at its best. And last but not least, a lot of times, acne is GENETIC, and then there is nothing you can do but control it to a comfortable level.
  • epoeraven
    epoeraven Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Have you talked to a dermatologist? There are medicines that can help.
  • katdesch
    katdesch Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I've had adult acne for a while, before my baby and after. I also have tried everything to clear up my blemishes. For me, it''s my hormones that cause my problems and the only thing that regulates them and clears up my acne are Birth Control Pills. It may take a while for your doctor to find out what dosage you need but for me it's the only thing that works. Good luck with that cuz I know how very frusterating it is!! :grumble:
  • pressica
    pressica Posts: 361
    Options
    If you are looking for a great face wash, my dermatologist recommended Panoxyl 10%. It comes either as a soap bar or a face wash. I have been on a lot of different kinds of acne medication and used Proactiv, Nuetrogena, etc, but this face wash has helped clear up a lot of my problems. I wash with it twice daily, moisturize, and put a panoxyl face cream on at night for spot control. It has been a godsend.
  • pannellkat
    pannellkat Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I have the same issues, doesnt matter how much water I drink and what I changed my diet to, my acne will not go away.
    DO NOT use dish soap on your face please! Do not buy over the counter products or things like proactiv or clearaway or anything like that. If your acne will not go away and you really need help. See your doctor. Acne is a medical condition that should be treated by prescription medication, possibly some strong antibiotics. Acne is caused by bacteria in your pores - no topical treatment that you see at CVS or Walgreens will get rid of bacteria, which is what is causing your acne most of the time.

Trust me, I have the same issues, I am 35 years old and sometimes feel like I am 14 because of my acne and I don't have just regular acne, sometimes I get those nasty nodules because of my oily skin and I feel so ugly and I'm over it!!

Stop picking at your acne, if you do. Keep your face clean with a mild cleanser. Continue to drink lots of water and see a doctor/dermatologist. GOOD LUCK TO BOTH OF US!
  • sdirks
    sdirks Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Okay, I was a model and still do some styling/consulting (let's just say I'm insane). I've tried a ton of the junk out there. Most of it doesn't work. Here's what I've found.

If you're willing to spend some $:
    http://www.blissworld.com/product/bliss+steep+clean+complete+set.do?search=basic&keyword=steep+clean&sortby=all&asc=false&page=1
    I live for the mattifying moisturizer. The set is a nice discount and shipping is often free.
    OR
    http://usa.loccitane.com/FO/Catalog/Catalog.aspx?cat=st_FirstSignsAging
    The apple & almond products are supposedly for "first signs of aging," but I find it really works on combination dry/acne-prone skin. The toning cider smells wonderful. The cleansing oil is like no facial cleanser you've tried before--you can feel the dirt coming out of your skin, and it's gentle enough to use every day. I use it after sweat-room yoga to scrub out my pores.

If you're on a limited budget:
    http://www.burtsbees.com/natural-products/face-cleansers/soap-bark-chamomile-deep-cleansing-cream.html
    http://www.biore.com/usa/products/complexion_clearing_detail.asp?productid=4
    http://www.olay.com/products/ge1012
    http://www.cleanandclear.com/productDetail.do?productid=31&productpos=0

Tips:
    - yes, you really need a moisturizer, cleanser, toner, and scrub/exfoliant. and yes, you need to use them to see results, lol
    -use a moisturizer in the morning and every night before bed
    - don't over-do it! shower every day if you have to, but limit time in scalding hot water to under 15 min per day to avoid overdrying your skin. you're especially prone to overdrying in winter. dry acne is the worst!!!
    - use a cleanser once a day. massage it in, let it sit for 30 seconds, and rinse with lukewarm water
    - exfoliate (aka use a scrub with little beads in it to clear away dirt and dead skin) no more than 4 times a week
    - astringents are often so strong that they strip your skin of it's natural, essential oils. try a toner or toning cider, instead
    - for redness, put 2 drops of visine on a q-tip and rub over the offending areas
    - for puffiness, some recommend hemrhoid cream. I can't go there. I put cucumber, fresh mint and a few ice cubes in the blender, wrap the mix in cheesecloth and then leave the cloth across my nose and eyes while I rest in bed. the water from the cucumber hydrates your skin and the cold alters blood flow, which helps to break down puffiness

Let me know if you'd like to know more! just message me....
    :wink:
  • ncocci989
    Options
    thanks for all the tips guys..i will have to look at some of the products you guys suggested bc i have foud that a lot like to hide almond extract or some kind of stuff like that and i am allergic to tree nuts so i would just have a fuffier face haha