WHY CAN'T I STOP EATING?!

Options
Okay, ever since about 2 weeks ago, I am constantly eating. I may be hungry, or I may not be. I am having surgery on Tuesday (10/2) and keep telling myself "After surgery I will start being VERY conscious on what I eat. WHY CAN'T I DO THIS!?

Replies

• kissedbytheocean
    kissedbytheocean Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I don't know, but I'm in the same boat right now.

Maybe you're stressing out about surgery, whether you realize it or not. Is there anything else stressful going on in your life?

I know sometimes when I restrict myself too much or workout too hard/too long, I get burnt out and just fall back into my old ways of overeating and not caring about living healthier. Maybe you're not giving yourself enough room to maneuver in your diet.
  • Clumz27
    Clumz27 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I have had this problem too. I binge eat. It's a curse! My binge eating always came right before I started my period. ... But then I wouldn't stop until I gained a noticable amount of weight. All I know is that I wish someone would just tell me to stop because I was getting fat. So here goes... STOP EATING SO MUCH!! USE THE CALORIE COUNTER AND COUNT THE CALORIES YOU'RE INGESTING. SEE WITH YOUR EYES HOW MANY YOU ARE CONSUMING AND MAKE A HEALTHIER CHOICE!

:)
  • Clumz27
    Clumz27 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    And I hope all is well with you. Surgery doesn't sound fun.
  • C00lCountry
    Options
    Hmm!

Can't see your diary so don't know any info to help you.
    Are you eating enough?
    How fast are you trying to lose weight?
    How much are you exercising?
    Are you eating exercise calories?

You don't give very much information to help you.

From pics though you have. I don't see where you have weight to lose.
  • SusanMcAvoy
    SusanMcAvoy Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I have the same trouble at times. I just eat and eat and eat. I had lost 47 pounds last year but once I went onto maintenance I gained 17 back. Since that time I was able to lose 3. So my loss now is only 33 pounds. I think many of us on here have the same problem or we wouldn't be here. When I get in the eating/binging mode it's almost as if I can't stop myself. I hate it. Just know you are not alone. Even when I am at my worst I still log everything and go back and look at my reports later. It astonishes me when I eat up to 4,000 calories. One day last year I ate 5,000 calories. I was at a wedding and full of stress. Are you an emotional or stress eater? I think that many of us have that issue too. We just have to stay strong, log everything, drink our water and workout. It does work over time. Lower carb diets give us the best response when it comes to craving. Once I add extra carbs in my diet it's like BAM, the hunger begins. Take this one day at a time and you'll get there. I wish you the best of luck on your journey. :flowerforyou:
  • enoughalready72
    Options
    From pics though you have. I don't see where you have weight to lose.
    [/quote]

I totally agree with this,you look very great and healthy where you are at.
  • holly3585
    holly3585 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    From personal experience- it's because you are GIVING yourselfore time. My toughest realization is that it starts NOW. I don't care if you areneck deep in a bag of chocolate chipcookies... toss it, and be healthier!!! I feel the SAME way and I have gone through all the sages....ohhh I binged, I will just fast tomorrow...Ughhh it has been a bad week, I'll start over Monday with a clean slate! Buuuut tonight my friends invited me out...I don't want to eat dry salad and have water....AHHHHHHH!!! It is killer, but the best thing you can do is STOP looking in to the future- start right now, and make better decisions each and every meal!! I am a big time eater when I am not hungry. Bored-Sad-Happy-Nervous, you name it I like to eat durring it! When I find myself thinking about food, or onto step two, aquiring the food for my nice warm lap to sit it on, or even just before I take that 1st bite, I ask myself 'Am I really hungry?' It is hard, and you will do geat, then fail, then do great again, just NEVER stop trying!!! Start right now!!! God knows I BINGE ATE all day Sunday, beer, tequilla, Mexican durring football, homemade carne asada quesadillas for dinner, then went through everything in my freezer pantry before bed, half becasue I was buzzed, half because I had 'already thrown out the day' and I get so mad at myself for it!! It comes down to sheer will power. Think about how proud you will be each time you navigate away from the urge to eat for pleasure, not sustinance! Eat to live, no longer do you have to LIVE to EAT :-) Best of luck...I know you can do it! Good luck on your surgery and keep your head up! You are beautiful!
  • suzieqcookie
    suzieqcookie Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    i'm in the same boat and i've decided to blame the cooler weather and shorter days. It's putting me into "winter weight" mode. UGH!
  • BelleHeart
    BelleHeart Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    You are probably nervous about your surgery. You'll be in my prayers!! Everything will go fine =)
  • kareinlib
    Options
    Get all terrible foods out of the house! That's what I do, and if I "binge" eat, it isn't terrible binge eating anymore since I'm just eating way more celery or broccoli than usual rather than grabbing the ice cream in the fridge.
  • saschka7
    saschka7 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Don't know where you are located, but I've been having the same thing this week myself.

For me, I'm pretty sure the cause is the change in the weather. Fall has struck with a vengeance and it's very chilly, rainy and gloomy, which makes me want to constantly eat in a misguided attempt to keep warm.

Have you ever noticed the weather affecting your appetite?
  • sarahg148
    sarahg148 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I have been doing the same thing over the last couple of months...and it started to build up and gained like 8-10 lbs at most...a lot of it water weight...but still bloated and feeling crappy. It was a mix I think of losing my Dad suddenly, PMS cravings, being depressed over certain matters, etc etc. I decided last wknd that enough was enough when I COULD NOT FIT INTO ANY OF MY ZIP UP PANTS...and decided to take controL!!!!! I've never had a problem with getting in the exercise...but my diet wasn't as good as I thought, calorie wise...just too much food. This is day 5 of my new plan to get in control. I am already down about 6 lbs and feeling better. I have a goal to eat under 2000 calories/day up until Dec 5th and then see how the scale reacts. I figured my activity level into my daily calories. If I see results that surpass my expectations then I will know what my issue is. Bottom line...make a plan and stick to it. Take it day by day and set goals and rewards. When I hit 171 AGAIN I plan to get a pedicure. I expect to be getting that pedicure in the next week or two. :) Good luck with your surgery.
  • lmc8774
    lmc8774 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    i'm in the same boat and i've decided to blame the cooler weather and shorter days. It's putting me into "winter weight" mode. UGH!

This. I have a hard time every fall. Once cooler weather hits, I just want to eat! All summer did great and now all I want is fattening comfort foods.
  • sportybrewerschick
    Options
    YES! you are correct! AHH!
    I have this saying, "sugar feeds sugar"

you're probably eating a lot of processed foods that's loaded with sugar.

A theory is, you're eating food that doesn't have much vitamins and minerals. You're craving them, you eat food to get them, but the food doesn't have what you need, so you just keep on eating trying to find the vitamins and minerals you need.
  • rnjive
    Options
    I am the same way. I was on medifast clinic diet for 30 days. Had lunch with a girlfriend went off diet and started binging right away. I have gain back five of the 14 I lost. In less than five day. I think its biochemical. Yes stress is a factor but I retired from nursing so that's gone and you think I'm retired where is the stress. Today I did eat sugar but was able to keep under eighteen hundred calories. I now have to hit the gym to burn off some of those calories. If someone had some scientific reason for this I'd appreciate hearing it.:sad:
  • sarahg148
    sarahg148 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I also agree with the weather affecting MY appetite, too. I just makes it that much more difficult to achieve our goals...but STILL achievable. Try to stay busy with other things so you're not thinking about food. Maybe join a team sport and you can burn calories while being social.
  • beansprouts
    beansprouts Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Okay, ever since about 2 weeks ago, I am constantly eating. I may be hungry, or I may not be. I am having surgery on Tuesday (10/2) and keep telling myself "After surgery I will start being VERY conscious on what I eat. WHY CAN'T I DO THIS!?

Sounds like stress eating...are you stressed at the prospect of having surgery?
  • becki1815
    becki1815 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I just looked at your diary. You had coffee - then didn't eat anything else until the 3-6 PM time slot. You can't lose that way. Your body is like a wood - stove. When you wake up in the morning, you have to stoke the fire. Not eating until 3 PM, your body is holding onto everything! Then 700 calories during the dinner time frame, then I'm not sure what the 900 calories is at the end of the day, but that needs to be spread out, for sure.
  • UG77
    UG77 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    The only way I could stop myself and step away from the candy isle/stop drinking soda, was to start thinking of simple sugars the same way I think about drugs. They're addicting and you start using more and more over time.
  • kissedbytheocean
    kissedbytheocean Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    From personal experience- it's because you are GIVING yourselfore time. My toughest realization is that it starts NOW. I don't care if you areneck deep in a bag of chocolate chipcookies... toss it, and be healthier!!! I feel the SAME way and I have gone through all the sages....ohhh I binged, I will just fast tomorrow...Ughhh it has been a bad week, I'll start over Monday with a clean slate! Buuuut tonight my friends invited me out...I don't want to eat dry salad and have water....AHHHHHHH!!! It is killer, but the best thing you can do is STOP looking in to the future- start right now, and make better decisions each and every meal!! I am a big time eater when I am not hungry. Bored-Sad-Happy-Nervous, you name it I like to eat durring it! When I find myself thinking about food, or onto step two, aquiring the food for my nice warm lap to sit it on, or even just before I take that 1st bite, I ask myself 'Am I really hungry?' It is hard, and you will do geat, then fail, then do great again, just NEVER stop trying!!! Start right now!!! God knows I BINGE ATE all day Sunday, beer, tequilla, Mexican durring football, homemade carne asada quesadillas for dinner, then went through everything in my freezer pantry before bed, half becasue I was buzzed, half because I had 'already thrown out the day' and I get so mad at myself for it!! It comes down to sheer will power. Think about how proud you will be each time you navigate away from the urge to eat for pleasure, not sustinance! Eat to live, no longer do you have to LIVE to EAT :-) Best of luck...I know you can do it! Good luck on your surgery and keep your head up! You are beautiful!

I know this wasn't directed at me, but thanks for this.

I've been binging like mad for the past two weeks; always giving myself the whole "I'll start tomorrow, I'll eat cleaner on Monday" spiel. I don't have a lot of will power sometimes, and it's hard to stay motivated when you think long-term, but that's really good advice to just take it one meal at a time.