1000 calories a day!

Options

Replies

• briannadunn
    briannadunn Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    I am not going to say to much but my Grandmother was told the same thing from her doctor, she followed it for a time and had no energy, she went to Weight Watchers and did 1400 and she is now 45 pounds lighter. I have a hundred to lose and I have tried to follow my doctors advice before and to be honest they only take a few months in nutrition and that is a fact. I was told 1200 clories and switched it to 1600 and lost to 164, I am now eating 1700 and losing just fine, I weigh 239. Doctors aren't always right, also, beware of the fact that 1000 can be reached just fine without starving, set your intake to 1200 to 1600 and workout.
  • DiannaPosey88
    Options
    :(
  • DiannaPosey88
    Options
    Not only is it low it can actually in some situations cause you to gain weight, I started a diet a year ago gym included and did a food log on my normal cal. intake and it was between 700-800 a day I was told no wonder you have a problem with your weight your in starvation mode and your body is storing fat for later! I'd research it and get a 2nd opinion.
  • tammyr112
    Options
    I use "diet" foods to help lower calorie counts while still getting nutrition. 35 calorie bread instead of 50-70 per slice, sugar free jelly, liquid eggs, unsweetened almond milk, fat free lunch meats (only for sandwiches for lunch at work due to high sodium) etc.

Eat lots of veggies (LOTS!!!) and stick to low fat meats. You don't have to be hungry all the time. I am rarely so hungry my belly growls, and usually it is only when I first wake up or out n about for longer then planned, that I am at that point. I take raw cauliflower to work to snack on. Loaded with vitamins and low calorie.....I get my 'crunchy' fix, and a bit of salt takes care of the "salty' cravings too.

Feel free to add me if you want. We can share tips n ideas for staying around 1000 cals :)
    and don't worry about what anyone who disagrees with what works for you.
    You do your thing n let them do their thing
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,783 Member
    Options
    Why would a doctor do that? That will put your body into starvation mode and actually SLOW your metabolism!

I've been eating waaay less than that and it hasn't slowed my progress one bit. Please don't spout untruths. I've been eating below 800 since April and I lose 2 to 3 lbs a week.
  • teresacicero
    Options
    try medifast meals, beef jerkey, protein bars (I like balance bars), tuna fish seasoned with a little light mayo and celery salt, chicken breast, fish.... anything that is low fat and high protein. The protein will fill you up and you wont need as many calories.
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    He gave me a pamphlet of suggested foods and said to eat 1000 calories a day I have to loose about 90 pounds I am not having surgery I asked to see a nutritionist but he acted like he didn't hear me

See a registered dietitian...also get a second doc to give you an opinion.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    Listen to your doctor, if you are concerned get a second opinion
    Don't listen to people on the MFP forums. My shoe has a higher IQ than a majority of this forum
  • msroman24
    Options
    I have a few recipes that are about 2-300 calories each. They aren't full of flavor, but food is for nutrition, not pleasure. You may email me if you wish romanlovebeer@gmail.com. Also, if you are able to exercise, you can always consume a little bit over your recommended amount and then work off the rest.

g-luck
  • jms3533
    jms3533 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I would seek a second opinion. I lost 88 pounds so far doing it the old fashioned way, healthy eating and lots of exercise. My minimum is 1200 calories a day, and then I eat most of my exercise calories on top of that, which average 800-900 calories a day.
  • sullykat
    sullykat Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    He gave me a pamphlet of suggested foods and said to eat 1000 calories a day I have to loose about 90 pounds I am not having surgery I asked to see a nutritionist but he acted like he didn't hear me

Go see one regardless. If he is actually ignoring your requests and not answering anything for you, what good is he? I'm not saying ANYTHING about the 1000 calories a day, just your doctor's attitude.
  • Effpcos
    Effpcos Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I quite happily eat myself to "full" eating lots of fruit and veg, lean meat, high protein, low carb. 1000 cals doesn't mean you have to be hungry. Coleslaw is my go-to at the moment, very low cal (as long as you watch your dressings) and filling, and you can use leftovers for stir-fry. (I'm in New Zealand, so we've just come out of winter, in summer I'll be gobbling up cucumber, tomato and cottage cheese salads).
  • You never know why a Doctor says to do something. Sometimes low calories are given to jump start a body that is dangerously (not saying that she is) overweight back into losing weight! If the patient needs to lose weight quickly based on more pertinent/ dangerous health concerns( ie. heart/ lungs/ kidney's etc) low calories are a must!! Be careful of advising people on things you don't have the full story of! You never know who you might be hurting (injuring) in the long run.

RN-15 years

I would say this is good advice. Doctors go through a pretty heavy load of education to be in charge of what they do. Part of their education is understanding where their limits lie and that is why there are loads of different kinds of health care professionals. If I were in your place, I'd listen to my doctor. Most of these people here, to quote another poster, "have an IQ less than his shoe". (Which I got a chuckle out of). That being said, there is only so much protesting you can do against scientific fact. Whether you want to call it "starvation mode" or not, there ARE very specific changes your body undergoes if you underfeed yourself and will hinder weight loss and more importantly your overall health in the long run. How long that "long run" is is all dependant on the person, we are all different. The fact remains that you should always eat above your BMR, the amount of calories your body needs to keep you functioning at the most basic level. ALWAYS (unless of course there is another specific medical reason given, which obviously the OP has not provided, if this is the case) But if you are just wanting to lose weight and you have no other pressing medical factors weighing in, you should always eat above your BMR. Your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) is the amount of calories you need to consume in a day to maintain your current weight. By eating 20% below that, you will feed your body properly and also lose weight at the same time. There is lots of research and people to show how successful this route is. You probably won't lose 20 pounds a week lol but you will have a MUCH MUCH higher chance of being successful and I think its safe to say we all want that. :) I am not a doctor nor a nutritionist but I have medical professionals including doctors in my immediate family and where I work, thus giving me lots of access to a lot of information and advice. MFP has some good places to get information if you know where to look. Gotta weed through the crazies out there.

Be healthy. :) Hope this helps! This link helped me a ton. Dan is a genius and is very smart.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    My doctor put me on a 1000 calorie a day diet and I'm having a hard time finding meals to eat. Does anyone have any suggestions

Breakfast- 2 egg omelet with an ounce of lean ham or turkey sausage, 1/4 c fat free cheese, pan-steamed diced veggies- mushrooms, onions, peppers, bok choy, spinach, whatever you like- pack it full. add 1/8 c fat free cheese and some picante if you like it a bit spicy. Makes a HUGE breakfast for around 250 cals and will keep you full for hours. Over 40 g protein.

Lean protein- 3-4 oz serving with lots of veggies or salad for lunch and dinner. Watch the salad dressing.

Add a couple of good snacks- nuts, lean proteins, sugar free yogurt, etc.

It is easy to stay under 1000 if you use them wisely. high lean protein, good fats, lots of high fiber veggies, a serving of fruit for something sweet. It is amazing how many calories you save when you cut out all processed sugar and white flour junk foods.

Feel free to friend me if you want to see how some of us are staying under 1200 but healthy.
  • mfpseven
    mfpseven Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Lol @ everyone who thinks they know more than your doctor

Exactly what I was thinking
  • crazybookworm
    crazybookworm Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Is there a specific reason why your doctor put you on that? If it's just for weight issues, that does seem pretty low. It wouldn't hurt to get a second opinion.

However you answer you question. Lean Protein like chicken and turkey and lots of vegetables. The greener the better. Kale is great and you can add it to so many recipes.
  • airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    Options

Hi OP...I have over 100 to lose as well, asked my Dr what the suggested range was to lose weight but stay healthy while doing it (as the numbers MFP gave me seemed too high). She suggested 1200-1500 calories and I aim for 1400. I have T2DM and spoke to an RD about the amt of cals/carbs I should be consuming. Can you connect on your own with a nutritionist??
  • wahmx3
    wahmx3 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I didn't read through the pages of replies but .... is there a reason why your doc suggested so low a cal restriction??
  • emzypemzy93
    Options
    I say go for it. I'm sure your doctor would know what he's talking about. Watch those pounds shred off like cheese! I'm aiminf for 1200 cals per day, starting off with 3x30min work outs per week and 30 kg lost between a year t oa year and a half.
  • sarjay7
    sarjay7 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I seriously hope your doctor put you on a vitamin to make up for some of the nutrition you will be missing out on with such a low caloric intake.