Protein Powder for Women (Canada)

Options
Hey all. I'm really trying to get my protein intake up so I'm looking to purchase a low sugarm high protein powder. The thing is...taste matters! I will not drink it if i have to choke it down. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Replies

• Tashmayes
    Tashmayes Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Anyone?
  • mdb543
    mdb543 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I use muscletech whey protein.. I don't think it tastes bad. I also take shakeology.. but not sure what you were looking for.. Both are excellent products in my opinion. My sister gets a lot of her protein stuff from beachbody, but aside from shakeology, I haven't tried any other products..

With the muscletech, I have a lot of great recipes to use (which I guess you could use any protein powder) at my blog http://fitandtoneforlife.blogspot.com

I have found if I drink too many shakes, I get really bloated (and I've tried a lot of protein powder and it's the same with all of them).. When I put the protein in the recipes, it helps with that and the taste. Hope that helps a little :0/
  • rosered93
    rosered93 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Ones I've tried and enjoyed, that are widely available and low/no sugar:
    BodyLogix whey isolates from Shopper's Drug Mart (I've tried the chocolate and vanilla)
    President's Choice vanilla whey (muchhhh cheaper than the BodyLogix, but sweetened with artificial sweeteners as opposed to stevia, if that's something you care about). They seem to sell it in two different packagings with one being more pricey for some reason--I use the one in the plain white container with a green lid.
    Kaizen naturals vanilla whey -- got this at Loblaws/Superstore/Fortinos (some smaller ones like Independent Grocer don't carry it). A bit more expensive; naturally sweetened.

In terms of nutrition, I believe the PC one is the lowest carb and is 110 calories/30g scoop with 27g protein.
  • ilikejam33
    ilikejam33 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I buy the one from costco, comes in choc or van. I find a lot of the ones on the market are far too sweet for me. This one also blends really well.

120 cal, 29 g protein, 2 carbs, per serving. and only $35.
  • Tashmayes
    Tashmayes Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone. I don't want to go and drop money on something that I'm going to dislike! :)
  • shlobiwan
    shlobiwan Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I buy the one from costco, comes in choc or van. I find a lot of the ones on the market are far too sweet for me. This one also blends really well.

It's called Kaizen (either vanilla ice cream or decadent chocolate) - I think it uses sucralose as a sweetener therefore the low carbs. Big green labels on the tubs.
  • Sweetsugar0424
    Sweetsugar0424 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I haven't seen a $35 protein at Costco, but there are 2 decent ones at Costco. I like the chocolate ones as I can drink them with water and they still taste good, but I find the vanilla tastes like medicine if it's taken with water so I will only drink that with milk, which ups my calorie intake so I stick to the chocolate.

The 2 options that the Costco here (Manitoba) have are LeanFit Natural Chocolate for $40 (often goes on sale for $30) or Kaizen Decadent Chocolate for $50. The Kaizen has 35 g of protein where the LeanFit only has 25 g. I have been using LeanFit for quite some time, but wanted a change in the chocolate flavour and the Kaizen was on sale so I'm now trying that one and don't mind it either.
  • anggxo
    anggxo Posts: 102
    Options
    I've tried Six Star Vanilla from Walmart, and it wasn't the greatest. Terrible texture, chalky taste. I gave it to one of my friends because I couldn't stomach it :P I like the PC brand much better. And it's affordable. :)
  • iKapuniai
    iKapuniai Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    TRUTEIN!

I am SO picky when it comes to whey powders... I have tried SO many brands, so many flavors, and usually it doesn't matter cuz they all taste like *kitten*!

However, last year I heard about Trutein, which is a mix of whey protein, casein, and egg protein. It's 120 cals per serving, 23g protein, low sugar (can't remember the exact number right now), and it tastes AMAZING.

I have the Cinnabun and the Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup, which actually tastes like a cinnamon roll and a chocolate peanut butter cup, especially when you have it with 1 or 2 percent milk. It blends well, and if you use a blender bottle it's even better, pretty smooth. It's very sweet which is sometimes a good thing for me personally, I like to use it in place of dessert lol

They also came out with a Banana Cream flavor which I'm dying to try. I've tried GNC Pro Performance Banana Cream whey, which also tastes pretty good... felt like I was having an actual banana cream smoothie/shake as opposed to just a nasty drink with banana flavor. It was great.

But Trutein is my fave, and aside from GNC's banana cream whey, I haven't bothered going elsewhere, no looking back for me! :)

Love and Alohas,
    Ihilani Kapuniai
  • Sweetsugar0424
    Options

It's called Kaizen (either vanilla ice cream or decadent chocolate) - I think it uses sucralose as a sweetener therefore the low carbs. Big green labels on the tubs.
    Where do you live that it's only $35? Ours is $50 for a 2 kg container.
  • shlobiwan
    shlobiwan Posts: 109 Member
    Options

In the GTA it's 48.99 as far as I know, but the coupons come out every so often for $10 off.
  • fallonrhea
    fallonrhea Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I absolutely LOVE Dymatize Elite. It's just flat out delicious. I hated every other protein powder that I've tried but Dymatize is so yummy! Cafe mocha (it has real coffee in it!) is my favorite, but the vanilla and chocolate fudge are super good too.
  • jensfitpal2012
    jensfitpal2012 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    where can you find trutien?
  • Sommerville_Nutrition
    Options
    Have you tried protien powders made out of Pea Protien? No Whey or Soy comes in differnt flavors. Very good source of protien
  • erin_zuk
    erin_zuk Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    i LOVE Vega. You can get sample packs to try it out before getting a tub. Check out a health food store
    then when you're ready to buy the tub, you can get it cheaper from www.iherb.com

I use the entire line of products - whole food bars, pre-workout energizer, sport protein, vega one shakes...love it all.
  • kickers19
    kickers19 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I drink the GNC brand iso burst. I bought it for the first time in chocolate, and I love it. Though it is kinda pricey.
  • Maurey
    Options
    I really like the Kaizen natural whey protein. I think its like $30 for a 2 lb jug (908 g). I buy it from well.ca (free shipping in Canada).
    http://well.ca/products/kaizen-naturals-100-new-zealand_33740.html
  • iKapuniai
    iKapuniai Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    TRUTEIN's direct site is: http://www.truscience.com/trutein.html
    On the site, it also lists a bunch of other retailers that sells em as well.

Great thing about ordering Trutein is that you can order SAMPLES on their sample page. They charge I think like 4 or 5 bucks for packaging, shipping and handling and such, but it's better than buying $30-$50 worth of protein, HATING IT, and being out that money you could have spent elsewhere.

Trutein sample page: http://www.truscience.com/samples.html
  • jdtd1967
    jdtd1967 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Get the muscletech whey protein isolate plus chocolate ....very good..:smile::smile:
  • Sweetsugar0424
    Options

In the GTA it's 48.99 as far as I know, but the coupons come out every so often for $10 off.

I'll have to keep my eye out for those.