Zumba!!

Options
Hello all, I'm not real new to this site, but been using it for about a month now. Just wanted to say hello and maybe ask a question. I have started doing Zumba as often as I can......did one class and i'm hooked, figured since i'm the one you always see moving to the music in my car, why not do Zumba, I love to dance and figured this would make it fun...Was wondering though if anyone knows the amount of calories burned in an hour long class.........since the excerise log on here doesn't have Zumba, I did check it elsewhere and it said approximately 475 calories an hour.......Anyone know if this is right? Hope you all have a great day and keep those pounds going away!!!

Replies

• bwattelet
    bwattelet Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I love Zumba!!! I started about a 2 months ago!!!!
    I beieve depending on your weight you could be loosing more! I loose 772 calories for a one hour class! Try goggle to check how many caories by weight you burn from zumba! Good Luck!
  • LongMom
    LongMom Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I had my first Zumba class last week! Class number 2 is tonight and I can't wait!!! LOVE Zumba!

I enter it as "aerobics, high intensity" and I get just over 600cals.
  • justann
    justann Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I just bought a book by The CalorieKing and he mentions the calories used in Zumba as.......

130 lbs ~8 cals/min 220 lbs ~ 12 cals/min 170 lbs ~ 10 cals/min

Only problem is I don't know what the pounds are supposed to reflect. lol Maybe someone else would know???
  • somigliana
    somigliana Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Isn't it fantastic? <3

I've worn my heart rate monitor to a few classes over the last month...
    The average is around 680cal for the hour long Cardio Party and around 520cal for the sculpt and tone class for me (I'm around 167lbs and I do the movements fairly high impact).

But then I subtract around 100cal to account for what I would burn sitting on the couch from those totals and enter that into my exercise diary.
  • teresa011
    teresa011 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much...........I appreciate the comments...the pounds I lost so far I owe to Zumba. My gym offers 5 classes a week, from Zumba Gold, to basic and just plain Zumba...its really a great workout, I even got people at work wanting to try it!! Thanks again!
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I just went to Zumba for the first time last night and burnt 586 calories. It's probably a little less for you since you weigh less than I do, but a good range for Zumba is 400-600 cals.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I just bought a book by The CalorieKing and he mentions the calories used in Zumba as.......

130 lbs ~8 cals/min 220 lbs ~ 12 cals/min 170 lbs ~ 10 cals/min

Only problem is I don't know what the pounds are supposed to reflect. lol Maybe someone else would know???

it's probably if you weigh that much, you'll burn that much. IE: A 130 lb person would burn 8 cals a minute, thus about 480 calories burnt in a 1 hour session.
  • abbie38
    abbie38 Posts: 128
    Options
    Zumba is what helped me lose the first 50 lbs. :) now I teach 10 classes a week and feel soooo strong and healthy. I'm almost where I want to be and it feels great.