Do you have a Probiotic/Cultured food experience?

Options
I started eating live culture yogurt a couple years ago. I went to Greek yogurt +/- a year ago. I now am using kefir as of the last 2 months, daily. I use it in my breakfast and my post workout as well as with cereal when I eat cereal. The kefir makes makes me feel absolutely amazing. Makes me alert, gives me energy, takes away my morning lethargy immediately upon consumption. I posted a status update on my FB a couple days ago, and now a friend is sending me a kombucha scoby to make cultured tea with. I am falling in love with good bacteria and yeast! This was my status update:

Ya know, I am beginning to think we really need to add a new food group to our diets. Many people already incorporate it, but I am becoming more and more convinced that it should be in everyones diet. I am talking about critters. No, not meat! We already have that… But good bacteria. Ya know, like what we find in yogurt, or sauerkraut, kefir and miso! I have never had miso yet, but a post by Jimmy Akin inspired me to look more into recipes containing miso. Thanks Jimmy! I have been using Greek yogurt for about a year, and a month and a half ago started using kefir in my smoothies, and now my workout recovery shake. I cannot explain to you how good this stuff makes me feel!

What is your experience with such foods?

Replies

• Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Surely, there must be some people here that have played with cultured, fermented foods other than booze?
  • MariaMariaM
    MariaMariaM Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    I always look for probiotics and or live cultures in my yougurt. No good amount = no buy. I also take Super Seed Beyond Fiber n have the organic version as well. They both have probiotucs but I think the non organic has more.
    I tried Kambucha and almost puked! Can't stand smell or flavor.
    I haven't gotten unto keffir yet since I think if it as yogurt. I might look at the nutritional value next time I go to Costco. I like a good carb to protein ratio.
    I have had miso soup but that is my only experience with miso.
  • Topher1978
    Options
    Kefir has more variety of cultures, and some that actually begin to colonize in you. The kefir I use, Lifeway (until I start making my own) has 12 cultures in it. I eat Chobani yogurt which has 5, two of which are also present in the kefir. I hope I like kombucha more than you did… I will be making it shortly! I think I will consume some during my workouts!
  • MariaMariaM
    MariaMariaM Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    Good luck with kombucha! My super seed has about 8 I think.
    Now I'm curious about keffir.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    I used to make my own yogurt from scratch regularly. I recently started to again, fun stuff.
  • caribougal
    caribougal Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I love kombcha and drink it to replace my diet coke urges. I buy growlers of it at whole foods as they have it on tap. I like the fruitier ones, and they taste a bit like a Belgian fruity beer.

I just tried raw kimchi today. I wanted to like it, but just couldn't. Tried to pawn it off on my hubby but he wasn't buying it.
  • blbrandstatter
    blbrandstatter Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    i started taking a daily shot of the inner eco probiotic liquid from whole foods. i don't want a full kombucha drink that fills me up (plus has sugar or a substitute), yet want the benefits of the p.b. it's about 15$ for a months supply. initially, i had some g.i. upset but then i felt great...
  • Topher1978
    Options
    I used to make my own yogurt from scratch regularly. I recently started to again, fun stuff.
    I want to start making yogurt and kefir. How do you know how many and what kind of bacteria strains are in the "grains" or starters? And can you use starters for yogurt over and over?
  • Topher1978
    Options
    Good luck with kombucha! My super seed has about 8 I think.
    Now I'm curious about keffir.
    That is really cool. I have no idea the composition of the scoby that is being sent to me now. Can you put two different scobys together?
  • citizencrp
    citizencrp Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Love almost all of it and it definitely helps my general feeling of well being.
    Love Yogurt, Kefir, Kimchee, Sauerkraut, and before I was allergic to soy, I used miso in a lot, including salad dressings, on steamed veggies, in soup, and on meat. Didn't enjoy Kombucha, though I REALLY wanted to.

I always notice lethargy and bad digestion when I don't get enough.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I think kefir is addictive! Love it. The only shop I know of that sells it here is out of stock, not happy!
  • Topher1978
    Options
    I know it is! I look forward to my kefir so much, I even forget my coffee sometimes now!
  • Joneisha07
    Options
    I took Philips Probiotic for 6 months, and now my body is doing OK on its own. I eat Yogurt now almost everyday. Probiotics are a life saver.
  • LilEmm
    LilEmm Posts: 240
    Options
    Yes, my yogurt introduced me to the opera and Rothko, whereas my cheese only watches Bering Sea Gold Miners. It's a nice experience.

The Cultured Kitchen has some insanely tasty spreads/dips (Cashew Cheese) that can be paired w/ veggies or put on a sandwich - super flavorful and bursting with probiotics.

http://theculturedkitchen.net/online_store/
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    How do you know how many and what kind of bacteria strains are in the "grains" or starters? And can you use starters for yogurt over and over?
    I usually use 2 or 3 different commercial yogurts mixed together as a starter, so I don't know what's in it other than it's what came in the pot.

You can use some of your yoghurt as a starter for the next batch but I don't know how many times you can do that beofre needing a fresh start to refresh the ecosystem - three as a guess, it'll probably start to taste or look weird if the colony evolves too much in the wrong direction.