Tell me what I need to do to lose 20 lbs in 6 weeks

Options
I've been on this journey for a while, generally in the direction of losing weight, but I need to reboot. I am scheduled to run the Santa Barbara half marathon on November 10th and I've decided I want to lose 20 lbs in the next 6 weeks, both because I need to lose more weight and because it will help my time in the half marathon. However, I'm not really sure what it would take to achieve this goal. A little background...I'm 6'3", 242, 42yrs old. I'm vegetarian. I ride my bike 40-45 minutes (appx. 10 miles over a big hill) twice a day, four days a week (Mon-Thur), I run 5-6 miles during lunch twice a week (usually Mondays and Wednesdays), I do longer runs (currently at 8.5 miles, working up to 11.5 miles over the next four weeks) on Fridays, and I play basketball for 2 1/2 hours Saturday mornings, then coach soccer, then coach basketball. Obviously, I get plenty of exercise, so my shortcoming is clearly diet. My weaknesses are pizza for lunch, chocolate in the afternoons, oversize dinner portions, and peanut butter and jelly sandwiches in the evenings...and ice cream. I don't want to go on any fasts or purges and I don't want to go vegan at dinner because I eat with my wife and girls and it would be a pain to cook vegan for the whole family. I'm interested in ideas and suggestions, preferably from people who know what they're talking about, as to how I can achieve my six-week goal of losing 20 lbs. Thanks.

Replies

• kaervaak
    kaervaak Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Over 3 lbs a week? Probably not possible, at least not in a healthy way. You could maybe do it, but most of what you lose would be water weight and glycogen.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Not much to go on because you sound unwilling to change much. I wou say stop this: "pizza for lunch, chocolate in the afternoons, oversize dinner portions, and peanut butter and jelly sandwiches in the evenings...and ice cream".
  • UG77
    UG77 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I'm a little taller than you but had the same problem/goal back when I was active duty. I got non-rec'd for promotion because I was 240 instead of 220 (overweight) and cut the weight in one month. Each morning I got up and did weight training at the gym, M-F, different muscle group. During lunch I went to the pool and swam laps for an hour. After 'work', usually around 4pm I would go run, 3 to 6 miles. While doing this I adhered strictly to the abs diet.

I was 28ish when I did this so it probably made the drop easier but I never worked so hard for 20lbs in my life.
  • jnerdin
    jnerdin Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Who said I was unwilling to change? I just said I didn't want to eat vegan for dinner and I didn't want to fast or purge. I'm willing to make changes and the fact that I've already lost almost 40 lbs in the past couple years demonstrates that I am not afraid to do what I need to do. Just because I listed my weaknesses, doesn't mean I'm so attached to them that I won't change. I forgot how rude people can be on these message boards. I'd like to see neverstray keep up with my weekly workout. I'm sure his picture of someone else's chiseled tattooed bicep would be very helpful on the hill climbs.
    Not much to go on because you sound unwilling to change much. I wou say stop this: "pizza for lunch, chocolate in the afternoons, oversize dinner portions, and peanut butter and jelly sandwiches in the evenings...and ice cream".
  • kesmarie
    Options
    Don't need to fast, or cut out all weaknesses. Watch calorie intake, swap lunch and snacks for something healthier, use a smaller plate for dinner portions, it actually does make a difference to the amount of food consumed and allow yourself a cheat day per week, when you can have the 'naughty' foods so you don't feel like you are giving them up, just don't overdo it on this day.
    You may not drop 20 lbs in 6 weeks, is a bit quick, but it will help. Keep at it and don't be afraid to slip up occasionally, it's human nature. Good Luck with weight loss and marathon :)
  • crunchienugget
    crunchienugget Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Have you tried making your on lunches? You can still ahve pizza but instead of ahving huge slices have a pitta brad topped with low fat cheese and plenty of vegetables. its quick and easy to make. Also i foud that if i start really chewing my food i tend to eat less. It doesnt work all the time and i still gulp down my food but try it for a while and see. For dinner-use a smaller plate and fill it with bulky veg like clerey or aubergines (you might call them egg plants). If you use smaller plates you trick your mind into thinking your eating loads. Maybe try these for a while and see what happens?
  • KatillacFitness
    Options
    congrats on deciding to take on a marathon!!! and holy crap you do a lot of cardio! lol
    though im not a guy so i dont have guy-specific input..... 20lbs in 6 weeks is a pretty lofty goal. not to say it can't be done, but it sounds like you're super active already, so all your dedication will have to be in your diet, like you said. and for your height and weight you're not really overweight, so that may prove more challenging for you.

my suggestions: for starters, this weekend i would write down (and i dont mean MFP), actually carry a sticky note and a pen with you, and write down every last thing that goes in your mouth, weather you know the calories or not, and without fudging your diet to make your list "look better" lol. you would be amazed, by sunday night, at the unnecessary crap you pick up during the day. that might help with the initial motivation lol

second, i would visit a site like www.freedieting.com and get a second opinion (sorry MFP) on what your calorie intake SHOULD look like. as well as a calculator for nutrient ratio. (i know, the last thing i wanna do is count grams of BLA-BLA-BLA, but if you're serious, you gotta DO serious). if you can stand it, i would take a close look at how much carbs/sugar you are taking in each day. i know suggesting low carb for a super active vegetarian is unrealistic. so you may have to get really creative there!

you do a lot of cardio already but i would recommend maybe switching up your routine. swapping in different activities. cannot lie, Insanity is one of the best workouts i know of to get even fit people to lean out and get in crazy cardio shape in 60 days!

Good luck with the marathon and i definitely want an update on how the next 6 weeks goes!! :-)

Ally
  • jeka5
    Options
    You need a calorie minus of 500 a day, 7 days a week to lose approx 1lb. So you do the math..

If you want to lose 20lbs in 6 weeks.. thats 3.3lbs a week.. that means you need to minus approx 1,500 calories a day, whether thats through diet and/or exercise, it will be extremely hard.

Setting a hard challange will only discourage you because it increases your chance of 'failing' and basically making you feel like crap.

Try aiming for 10 lbs.. this is more realistic.. You have a much better chance of reaching this :-)

Try to eat lot of protein.. this will keep you fuller for longer.

And up the exercise. Do home DVDs, go for a walk/jog/run, hit the gym etc :)
  • PiggySweet
    PiggySweet Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    eat 1,500 calories less than what you burn in a day. it's up to you to figure out how many calories you burn, since exercise is different for everyone.
  • tameejean
    tameejean Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you could do it one way or another, but it won't last and you may end up worse off in the end. Just keep on keeping on, ease up on the junk and throw some strength training in. I run too and strength training has helped my runs significantly, plus more muscle = more burn. Good luck on your half, my next one is next weekend :)
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I lose about 3 lbs a week through calorie counting and exercise. I work out 3 hrs a day/6 days a week
  • jessicasarah18
    Options
    Hi there from sunny Dulin

You don't need to go on any faddy diet. You need to plan plan and plan some more what you're going to eat. Cut our all the high fat food to start with, but don't try and replace with low fat versions they have just as many calories.

1-2lbs a week weight loss is what you should aim for 3lbs is a bit excessive. good luck with the marathon.

Best wishes,

Debbie
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I read your post and 'Oh My God' was the phrase that went through my head. Why would you want to set yourself a insane goal like that? It sounds horrible if i'm honest. I'm not trying to be rude at all, if I was i'd do a much better job than this :tongue: but seriously it just sounds like torture to put your body through that kind of extreme weight loss in such a short period of time. A bit of motivation and a target to head towards is fantastic but I think your's is too harsh. You could definitely begin your fitness campaign and by that date you will of dropped some weight and be on the way to where you want to be, but don't put the massive pressure of 3 lbs a week on yourself. Only my opinion of course. No doubt someone else will say hell yeah go for it man lol.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure that trying to drop 20 pounds while coming into the last few weeks of training for a half marathon is a good idea.
    Having run one a few weeks ago, I actually ate at around maintenance for the last few weeks - the last thing I wanted was to feel low on energy while I was trainings so hard.

I'd suggest that you eat at a moderate deficit (ie. 500 cals (or less) under your TDEE), keep up your training, enjoy having enough energy for the race, and focus on losing that 20 pounds slowly and steadily before your next race.
  • Goonygugu
    Options
    My suggestion... swop your pizza at lunch time for a helathier option - sans all the cheese.
    portion control at meal time and unfortunately you are going to have to cut out some "bad" stuff to lose the weight. If you must have ice-cream - go for lite or swap to sorbet. and try stopping the PB&J sandwiches in the evening - rather have fruit.

And maybe up your water intake?? although with all the exercise you do i am sure you are drinking planty water already?? If you are drinking sports drinks try alternating one sports drink and then one bottle of water.

Good luck
  • derekj222
    derekj222 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    You don't need any more exercise so if you watch what you eat, you can easily lose this weight. But cutting out at least 1000 calories a day, which I'm sure you will be able to do, you can reach this goal.

Healthy breakfasts: protein, no OJ, eggs, oatmeal
    lunch: around 500-600 cal lunches of lean meats (ohhh veg...so Tofu!) like chicken with veggies
    dinner: make your own pizza, or order thin crust. Thin crust, lots of veggies, light sauce, etc
    snacks: fruit, nuts, string cheese, light popcorn, veggies

With healthier food choices - all that exercise, you are guaranteed to lose 2+ lbs week

You need a calorie minus of 500 a day, 7 days a week to lose approx 1lb. So you do the math..

If you want to lose 20lbs in 6 weeks.. thats 3.3lbs a week.. that means you need to minus approx 1,500 calories a day, whether thats through diet and/or exercise, it will be extremely hard.

Setting a hard challange will only discourage you because it increases your chance of 'failing' and basically making you feel like crap.

Try aiming for 10 lbs.. this is more realistic.. You have a much better chance of reaching this :-)

Try to eat lot of protein.. this will keep you fuller for longer.

And up the exercise. Do home DVDs, go for a walk/jog/run, hit the gym etc :)

UP the exercise? You're an idiot.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    pizza for lunch, chocolate in the afternoons, oversize dinner portions, and peanut butter and jelly sandwiches in the evenings...and ice cream.

eat less of the pizza at lunch, swap the chocolate in th efaternoons for a healthy snack (fruit and a boiled egg for example) and ditch the ice cream unless it fits into your calories.

20lbs in 6 weeks is pretty extreme, but you could definitely lose a few pounds if you cleaned up your diet.
  • Kasya007
    Kasya007 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    To restrict yourself so much while trying to train will most likely be counterproductive. I was crash dieting this summer while training for a half, and I don't recommend it, (all I got out of it was being a skinny b*tch with great muscular definition, but loose skin from the speedy loss). Wait until you hear what else happened...

You see, the more weight I lost & the more calories I restricted, the SLOWER my PR became, the less energy I had, and the more moody I became (especially frustration with my time going up each week, when it had been going down while eating normally). The restrictions ALSO meant that my muscles were slower to recover after tempo runs & long runs. Even with all of the supplements, and you have to supplement like a fiend when are training while dieting.

My scheduled half was this past* Sunday...and I didn't run it. About 4 weeks ago I went out to do my weekend long run & really hurt my arch (long plantar ligament) to the point of needing physio. I haven't been able to run in weeks and the cause was under-fueling while trying to train. Stupidity that I caused myself, which totally could've been avoided. However, I wanted to lose fast, while trying to maintain my active lifestyle. Big mistake.

So, can you do it? Yeah, maybe 20 lbs in 2 months, but even at that rate, you're setting yourself up for disaster or disappointment, and certainly not health & a great PR. Train hard, but take it slowly, because it's really disappointing missing a race, and even more disappointing having to tell the story to your friends, family, strangers & fans.

Take care of yourself. Live, love, eat & run! :smile:
  • DebraAukett
    DebraAukett Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I hope my ideas will be practical for you!

Instead of having your PB&J in the evenings what about changing it to lunch - but swop white bread for 100% whole-wheat bread, only put 1 tablespoon of PB on it and limit the jelly as much possible. Have that with a fruit and perhaps a small portion of yoghurt. This way you won't lose out on your beloved PB&J

For dinner I would suggest that you try out healthy dinners - you can do both yummy and healthy at the same time - experiment and hunt the web for some recipes.

Replace your afternoon chocolate with either two or three blocks of Lindt dark chocolate (I personally love the Chili one), or have some almonds

Then lastly I would recommend that you drop the ice-cream - but you can replace with a nice low fat frozen yoghurt - just limit your portions. You even get diabetic ice-cream that doesn't contain all the sugars and is far lower in calories.

Good luck! 20lbs in 6 weeks is a whole lot to lose, and I wouldn't give myself such a high goal, but I wish you best of luck and I hope you reach it soon!

You are welcome to add me for extra motivation if you want to
  • bufger
    bufger Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    just substituting the peanut butter and the pizza will help. Have you seen how many calories they are?! ice cream isnt so bad as long as you're only having a couple of scoops.