To log calories from alcohol or to not?

Options

Replies

• missmacsays
    missmacsays Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    Just to clarify-I've been logging it. I've just seen varied opinions whether you should or not, but I figured that logging is probably the best bet even though I hate doing it.
  • Bex2Bslim
    Bex2Bslim Posts: 1,092
    Options
    OF COURSE!, i find i always have extra calories left if i am paying good attention to it all,,, so then i use that on BOOZE! YUM! I AM A BOOZEHOUND!

Thought i was the only one on this site.. lol

Oh you guys aren't the only ones. I'd like to NOT log my drinking calories because I'm pretty sure I can easily go over a day's worth of cals on a night out. Drinking's the one bad habit I've not broken myself of. At least I don't drink everyday. Just Fridays and Saturdays. But last Friday I logged what I drank and cringed at how many calories 88oz of beer packs. Gosh that sounds bad...haha.

I had a bottle and a quarter of wine last night :'( lol
  • dallasfloyd
    Options
    OF COURSE!, i find i always have extra calories left if i am paying good attention to it all,,, so then i use that on BOOZE! YUM! I AM A BOOZEHOUND!

Oh you guys aren't the only ones. I'd like to NOT log my drinking calories because I'm pretty sure I can easily go over a day's worth of cals on a night out. Drinking's the one bad habit I've not broken myself of. At least I don't drink everyday. Just Fridays and Saturdays. But last Friday I logged what I drank and cringed at how many calories 88oz of beer packs. Gosh that sounds bad...haha.

Haha.. i didn't log friday night since it was my birthday party.. but your 88oz would be low...
  • SusanLovesToEat
    SusanLovesToEat Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    What's the general opinion on this topic? Do you log the calories you consume from drinking? Does it depend how much you drink? How often? Or do you consider it a freebie? Just trying to get some ideas on how that works. Honestly if I'm out drinking, tracking the drinks is the LAST thing on my mind. But maybe I should be worrying about it when I'm out still. Help!

I log everything that has calories. For me this works best to control my eating (and drinking).

OF COURSE, tracking both eating and drinking is the LAST thing on my mind when I'm out with friends, that is why I ended up here!
  • dallasfloyd
    Options
    Just to clarify-I've been logging it. I've just seen varied opinions whether you should or not, but I figured that logging is probably the best bet even though I hate doing it.

logging it is best.. even if you go over.. its an average for the week right?

the only ones that will not log it are afraid to have something out there that says they drink.. even though they will say its a treat and no reason to log it... lol
  • missmacsays
    Options

LOL. I've been having weekends like that lately. I went to a wine tasting last weekend and then realized how awful that was too. Ugh.
  • dallasfloyd
    Options

i thought at wine tastings. you only swished it around and spit.. lol..

just an fyi

LOL. I've been having weekends like that lately. I went to a wine tasting last weekend and then realized how awful that was too. Ugh.
  • missmacsays
    Options
    What's the general opinion on this topic? Do you log the calories you consume from drinking? Does it depend how much you drink? How often? Or do you consider it a freebie? Just trying to get some ideas on how that works. Honestly if I'm out drinking, tracking the drinks is the LAST thing on my mind. But maybe I should be worrying about it when I'm out still. Help!

I log everything that has calories. For me this works best to control my eating (and drinking).

OF COURSE, tracking both eating and drinking is the LAST thing on my mind when I'm out with friends, that is why I ended up here!

Right, I wouldn't have joined a site to help me lose weight if I had good self control without tracking. lol.
  • missmacsays
    Options

logging it is best.. even if you go over.. its an average for the week right?

the only ones that will not log it are afraid to have something out there that says they drink.. even though they will say its a treat and no reason to log it... lol

NO ONE READ MY FOOD DIARY FOR THIS WEEKEND THEN!! LOL
  • missmacsays
    Options
    What I do is stay as close to my 1200 calories a day that I can but "save up" my exercise calories so I can go out for a drink on a friday night. I have swapped drinking large glasses of wine to drinking Vodka and diet coke (only 60 calories). That way I dont go over my weekly calorie allowance.

Its worked so far.....

That's a good way to do it. I can't seem to ever find something consistent saying what calorie counts are for alcohol! It's so frustrating. How do you get accurate information? Every site is different.
  • rfsatar
    rfsatar Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I do... I drink what I want at events etc but always interesting to see it back in the cold light of day. It doesn't stop me from drinking, but worth knowing effect on my cal count.
  • steelerslover
    Options
    If you are really serious about loosing weight, you BETTER be counting calories from alcohol. PLUS what the alcohol is in.: ie: juice or soda.
  • missmacsays
    Options
    So what's the lowest calorie drink to have? I enjoy a little bit of everything honestly. I'm just trying to find my best choice!
  • NewAngel35
    NewAngel35 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I log absolutely everything..Its those un-logged cals that do the damage.we have tendencies to under estimate rather than over. If ya gonna drink log it and try keep within your RDA
  • SandyAnnP
    SandyAnnP Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Ok- I do log my wine, usually have a couple of glasses each night BUT I have found that they make me retain fluid, even though I am keeping up a real good intake of water.
    SO next Monday 1st October. I am doing the challenge here " Ocsober" - no alcohol for a month. It is a good way to test your willpower ( and give your liver a holiday-lol). I also did Dry July which is basically the same, and I am hoping to get off this $%#$ plateau I have been on for a few weeks - even though I stay under my allowance every day. :drinker:
  • Bex2Bslim
    Bex2Bslim Posts: 1,092
    Options
    So what's the lowest calorie drink to have? I enjoy a little bit of everything honestly. I'm just trying to find my best choice!

Clear spirits are best, with a diet mixer or soda. I never liked vodka and diet coke until I realised there were as many points (I was following WW at the time) in lime cordial as there was in the vodka... Sod that!!! lol
  • missmacsays
    Options
    Ok- I do log my wine, usually have a couple of glasses each night BUT I have found that they make me retain fluid, even though I am keeping up a real good intake of water.
    SO next Monday 1st October. I am doing the challenge here " Ocsober" - no alcohol for a month. It is a good way to test your willpower ( and give your liver a holiday-lol). I also did Dry July which is basically the same, and I am hoping to get off this $%#$ plateau I have been on for a few weeks - even though I stay under my allowance every day. :drinker:

If Halloween could be excluded, I would so do that! I could try sober until Halloween. Hopefully it works out for you!!
  • missmacsays
    Options

Clear spirits are best, with a diet mixer or soda. I never liked vodka and diet coke until I realised there were as many points (I was following WW at the time) in lime cordial as there was in the vodka... Sod that!!! lol

I was doing gin and tonic recently because I thought that was healthy, but then I found combined with dieting I couldn't handle it anymore. I don't drink soda ever, so I try to avoid it when I go out to drink too, but I guess if it's better to drink that with my alcohol than beer or wine I could try it.
  • dallasfloyd
    Options
    I think we need a weekend drunks thread! and we can drink together while we log our Cals
  • missmacsays
    Options
    I think we need a weekend drunks thread! and we can drink together while we log our Cals

That only seems appropriate. I'll drink to that :drinker: :laugh: