"I Sweat a lot, it's genetic."

Options
geebusuk
geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
Why is this in "Success Stories"?

Because, it turns out I don't.

I was just overweight. Ok, maybe still a little more than average, but not nearly as much now.
I can remember my Dad always had issues with sweating when I was growing up and he wasn't overweight - but then we did live in Papua new Guinea where summer to winter temperatures range from 28-32°c

I've got a 'big frame' to the point that when I was technically obese people actually suggested in some slight seriousness that I might be anorexic when I was always moaning that I needed to lose weight.

Over the last 7 years I've kept a reasonable level of base fitness, but being at a pretty decent though not 'competitive' level now can't hurt (fairly quick recovery after going for a 20k cycle and 5k run for instance, though my times wouldn't be challenging any duathloners.)

I can remember when I did boxing at 16 that I was one of the worst for clouds of sweat-vapour pouring off me in the cold winter air when we left. Ok, I did have a bit of that the other night coming back from a cycle ride, but not nearly as bad and there was a Strava section in there to really test me!

Finally, I took the push bike to pick up dog food the other day. 12kg bag with a few other bits making it up to maybe 16-17kg extra. Noticably harder work which made it a bit of a pain accelerating away from lights, getting up hills etc; yet I was carting that and another 8kg on top around on my body all the time!

Replies

• heymayer
    heymayer Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Do borrow a quote from the hardly seen, underrated teen movie "Angus" - "I don't sweat. I rain."

I've had a problem my entire life where I get "over heated" easily and just drip sweat. I absolutely cannot control it. It can be 35 degrees outside and I'll be in a light jacket and still be hot with sweaty armpits and everything else. I am serious when I say that I sweat everywhere: forehead, armpits, chest, butt, groin, feet....I feel so disgusting all the time. It's one of those things where I feel like I'm sweating because I'm hot, but then I get flustered because I'm sweating, and then being nervous about sweating makes me sweat more.....

It's not as bad now that I've lost weight, but there are still some days where I'm just gross. And still, even after losing weight, the slightest bit of exercise gets me going. Last night, before our schools volleyball game, I was screwing around with the girls beforehand just having fun hitting the ball back and forth and doing hook shots and random shots at the basketball goal and after just 5 minutes of light activity, my armpits were nasty and I became incredibly self conscious.

So, I definitely feel ya in the whole "it's genetic" aspect because what else could it be?!
  • Noonoo757
    Noonoo757 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Ugh I sweat horribly always have no matter what I weigh. I can just walk to the mailbox and start sweating its gross. I hate it because when I go to workout classes I start sweating people automatically assume im having a hard time or working really hard to keep up or im terribly tired. Most of the time this is not the case. On a good note the fact that I do sweat alot keep all the bad stuff coming out lol my skin is great and I dont retain too much water so I dont have to worry about a lot of water weight.
  • Deb_smiles
    Deb_smiles Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Well, for those of you who sweat profusely, and can't control it.......maybe you should look at it in a different light. You have ROCKING metabolisms!!! It takes energy to create that much heat! I'll bet you have the ability to drop weight faster than most people because your furnace is ALWAYS on! My husband is that way and he hasn't gained more than 10 pounds since high school. My daughter is the same way! It can be a good thing!
  • P90XBowler
    P90XBowler Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    i like sweating, I am a weirdo though! :noway:
  • eillamarie
    eillamarie Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I've always sweat easily and a lot. From everywhere too. I was in killer shape in high school, yet all the other girls would barely breathe heavy and i would be dripping. Not fatigued, just sweaty. As the weight packed on it's only gotten worse. I will break a sweat walking around the freaking mall- I do walk pretty fast tho. But I'm not an overly warm person, just when I start moving.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    Well, for those of you who sweat profusely, and can't control it.......maybe you should look at it in a different light. You have ROCKING metabolisms!!! It takes energy to create that much heat! I'll bet you have the ability to drop weight faster than most people because your furnace is ALWAYS on! My husband is that way and he hasn't gained more than 10 pounds since high school. My daughter is the same way! It can be a good thing!

Man, I got the short end of the genetic stick then! I sweat like a beast, no matter what weight I've been, from my heaviest to now, and my metabolism sucks. PCOS plus a sluggish thyroid and I have to work like twice as hard as most people I know to drop a pound...I think I could smell a cookie and gain weight.

Overly sweaty/requiring multiple applications of clinical strength anti-perspirant throughout the day AND the propensity to gain weight extremely easily?? I can just hear the boys lining up to get with this...
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options

Man, I got the short end of the genetic stick then! I sweat like a beast, no matter what weight I've been, from my heaviest to now,

me too
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I'm a perfectly healthy weight, and looking like I've been out in the rain when I'm done working out.

Lucky you!
  • Ilovetrish
    Options
    I love that movie!
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Do borrow a quote from the hardly seen, underrated teen movie "Angus" - "I don't sweat. I rain."

I've had a problem my entire life where I get "over heated" easily and just drip sweat. I absolutely cannot control it. It can be 35 degrees outside and I'll be in a light jacket and still be hot with sweaty armpits and everything else. I am serious when I say that I sweat everywhere: forehead, armpits, chest, butt, groin, feet....I feel so disgusting all the time. It's one of those things where I feel like I'm sweating because I'm hot, but then I get flustered because I'm sweating, and then being nervous about sweating makes me sweat more.....

It's not as bad now that I've lost weight, but there are still some days where I'm just gross. And still, even after losing weight, the slightest bit of exercise gets me going. Last night, before our schools volleyball game, I was screwing around with the girls beforehand just having fun hitting the ball back and forth and doing hook shots and random shots at the basketball goal and after just 5 minutes of light activity, my armpits were nasty and I became incredibly self conscious.

So, I definitely feel ya in the whole "it's genetic" aspect because what else could it be?!

I feel your pain. I'm not especially overweight, so I don't think it will change when I'm down another 20. I'm going to try sage tea twice a day, which supposedly helps. If not, I'll just smell like stuffing.
  • Angie_1991
    Angie_1991 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I WISH the more you sweat the more calories you burn.....that is how it should be......lol
  • dg09
    dg09 Posts: 754
    Options
    I noticed when I doubled my water intake, I sweat A LOT less during workouts.
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    i like sweating, I am a weirdo though! :noway:

me too...gets rid of toxins! I sweat like crazy at gym, and I dont care!! love it!

** also I heard that if you sweat very easily and alot when working out means you are very healthy :bigsmile:
  • Lextmg86
    Lextmg86 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem with sweating but on a good note like someone explained earlier, my metabolism is fast and Ive lost almost 20 pounds in two months. My motto: "Dont forget to bring a towel!".
  • morningmud
    morningmud Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    What gets me is the butt-sweat. I get so self-conscience wondering if people can see that my pants are wet (lots of black gym pants) and think I peed myself
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I'm Ok in day to day situations (although I seem to wear one less layer of clothes than everyone else) but as soon as I exercise the taps turn on. Heavy/light, fit/unfit - doesn't make a difference.
    Human fountain in a sauna!!

On a 50 mile cycle I drank four times what another guy drank.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!