Disappointed Newbie!!

Options
I actually thought I could do this alone - after 3 weeks I had lost 9lbs and thought it was easy. Then, this week I put on a pound. I don't mind telling you I am devastated!

Is this normal? Has anybody else experienced this? Should I just accept it as a normal part of dieting?

I have done the same routine for the last four weeks - never changed anything this week but still went up.

Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks.

Replies

• DaniKenmir
    DaniKenmir Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Yeah it happens, it could be water weight, a little too much sodium, all kinds of things, just change things up a bit and see how you go xx
  • Nanadena
    Nanadena Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Yes, if I eat salty foods, I can put on 4lbs over night.
  • rce884
    rce884 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I am working with a lifestyle team and the fourth week of my working with a dietician and dr i put on two pounds i was as you are devistated i tell you i sat in that office and almost cried. and my dr said "why cry" wieght he explaind fluxuates, and if you eat out after not eaitin out all week your weight is almost garunteed to go up two lbs in the next two days. because (as was said) the sodium sure enough the next week it went back down so hold fast. and you are not doing it alone you have all of us to support you. dont discount that moral support is really important when trying to make lifestyle changes like this.

• Deluxe97
    Deluxe97 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Stick with it. This happens to all of us at some point or another. One pound won't undo the other 8 you've already lost.
  • Ravenesque_
    Ravenesque_ Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    its a normal part of dieting.

Perfectly acceptable and perfectly normal.

Stop fretting and celebrate your overall downwards trend.

Losing 9lbs in 3 weeks is a bit too much, tbh. Do not expect to keep this up forever.
  • stardancer7
    stardancer7 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I lost 7 in my first three weeks, then one week the scale stayed exactly the same, then the next week I dropped 3.5. Stay accountable and keep going...
  • helaurin
    helaurin Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Don't be worried about momentary blips (a couple days or so). Watch your salt, etc. Make sure you're drinking enough water, and realize too that you may gain/lose around that TOM a little differently. Look for the long-term trend, make friends, ask them to look at your diary to see if they see something you don't. Try not to go more than 3 hours without eating something, however small; recent research is showing that if a female goes without food for more than 3 hours, our body metabolism slows.
  • zachatta
    zachatta Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    A scale is an indicator , but it isn't your best one.

A mirror and photos will do you better.

Your weight can fluctuate around 5 lbs so , I wouldn't stress it.

Time and consistency and you'll get what you want!
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    , this week I put on a pound. I don't mind telling you I am devastated!

46 year old men do not get "devastated" when they gain a pound.

MAN UP DUDE!

REPRESENT!
  • Hayleighs_mom
    Options
    it happens. But dont let it discourage you. It had discouraged me so many times before and I always gained back what I lost. But not this time! Just accept the dumber and move on. Try drinking even more water, more veggies, and change up your routine some.
  • jensfitpal2012
    jensfitpal2012 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Don't get discouraged,this happens. Like others have said,it can be water weight,too much sodium...I lost 4 lbs in the beginning,then one day I weighed myself and had gone up 3 lbs.,found out it was my sodium intake.I just drank more water and kept exercising and the weight was off,plus more.Keep positive!:)
  • herrytews
    Options
    Hi. Exactly the same happened to me, I plateaued after a few weeks. So I switched to a very low carb diet / ketogenic diet and I have now lost 53 lbs in 3 months, so I broke through the barrier (thank goodness). Invite me to be a friend if you want more help and if a low carb diet is of interest to you (it doesn't suit everyone but it suits me).
  • MommaBelvin
    MommaBelvin Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    i had the same issue i started drinking WAY more water and i always switch up my work out. our bodies get used to the same thing every day so if you switch up your work out it will help in your weight loss.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    In three weeks, you're down a total of 8 pounds (ABOVE AVERAGE) and you're devastated? Rethink your expectations.
  • Bahet
    Bahet Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    There area lot of perfectly normal reasons why you can gain a pound - waste build up, water, salt, time of day, time of month, etc. I'm doing a program at a clinic and they have an uber fancy $2400 scale that shows all sorts of stuff. At my weekly appointment yesterday I had gained 3 lbs this past week. Normally that would be enough to send me rushing for comfort with my good friends Ben and Jerry. BUT when I look at the actual breakdown I had gained 5 lbs of water and 8 lbs of "other" (I've had "digestive issues" this past week) and I actually lost 5 lbs of fat. Not only am I not devastated or discouraged - I'm THRILLED!
  • mrramsey
    Options
    In three weeks, you're down a total of 8 pounds (ABOVE AVERAGE) and you're devastated? Rethink your expectations.

I agree... 1 to 1.5 per week is healthy weight loss... You're still in the green.
  • Crayvn
    Crayvn Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    you lost 3 pds a week. that is quite a bit. your body is adjusting. take a deep breath and cowboy up :)
  • dawndw
    dawndw Posts: 203
    Options
    Yes I noticed this when I really started working out........but I steadily lose, don't monitor your scale as much as you monitor the measuring tape........that tape doesn't lie ;-) and I now make sure I keep super hydrated. It is recommended that you drink minimal 8 glasses of water. My doctor said to drink half my weight in ounces.
  • nabelaca
    Options
    I lost 8 lbs in one week after going all summer working out at the gym and only losing a total of ten all summer! I upped my cardio and added weight to my strength training, and joined a nutrition class, I have been weighing in everyday just to see how it is going it looks like I may stay the same or lose one pound this week. It all depends on your water, salt intake, and activity. Keep doing what you are doing because it will pay off.
  • SorchaRavenlock
    SorchaRavenlock Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    also, make sure to take your measurements every now and again. What we don't lose in pounds sometimes shows up in inches instead ;)