Help!! I'm juicing and I can't figure out my Caloric Intake

Options
Ok...so like many people out there I saw the movie "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead" on Netflix recently and I was inspired. Needless to say I began my own 60 day Juice Fast back on August 1st. I just discovered MyFitnessPal and I'm loving it, but I can't figure out how to calculate the calories in my homemade juice.

Can anyone help??

For example today is my Sweet Day so I had an AWESOME juice:

9 Strawberries - 90Kcal
1/5 Pineapple - 100kCal
3 Granny Smith Apples - 150Kcal
1 Honeycrisp Apple - 120Kcal
1 Handful of Grapes - 100Kcal

Total - 560Kcal

I can get the calories of each individual fruit (See Above) but I'm certainly not taking in all of those calories...the skin, pulp, fibers etc have to have some calories - or do you think this is accurate?

Replies

• alecta337
    alecta337 Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Maybe you can look up calories in 100% _____ juice for each of the fruits, but you need to know the approximate fl oz from each fruit
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    hmmm did you google jucing calories?
  • Cseemo
    Cseemo Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thank you. That helps me to see that they are safely between 8-20 calories per OZ of juice. I drink 60 - 70 OZ of juice per day so on the VERY high end I'm getting 1400 calories per day. On the low end I'm only getting 500 -- so I shouldn't fear that Orange Juice I look forward to in the morning :)

I've only got 5 days of pure juice left and then I'm onto a healthy diet...

Thank you for all of your help!!

On a side note...55 days of Fresh Veggie/Fruit Juice and Water and I feel AMAZING!! I would recommend EVERYONE check out the movie "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead" as well as "Forks over Knives" -- it will make the decision between Burger King and a fresh, healthy meal an EASY one every single time.

I've dropped 1 pound per day following the guidelines and I feel better than I have in 8 years. :happy:
  • christamt
    christamt Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Awesome work!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Thank you. That helps me to see that they are safely between 8-20 calories per OZ of juice. I drink 60 - 70 OZ of juice per day so on the VERY high end I'm getting 1400 calories per day. On the low end I'm only getting 500 -- so I shouldn't fear that Orange Juice I look forward to in the morning :)

I've only got 5 days of pure juice left and then I'm onto a healthy diet...

Thank you for all of your help!!

On a side note...55 days of Fresh Veggie/Fruit Juice and Water and I feel AMAZING!! I would recommend EVERYONE check out the movie "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead" as well as "Forks over Knives" -- it will make the decision between Burger King and a fresh, healthy meal an EASY one every single time.

I've dropped 1 pound per day following the guidelines and I feel better than I have in 8 years. :happy:
  • debnu1
    debnu1 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I just googled this and got this site: http://www.ehow.com/how_5155227_count-calories-juicing.html

It says to add up the calories juiced, take the total fiber count and multiple by 4 (4 calories per gram of fiber) and subtract fiber calories from total calories. Hope that helps. I am just getting into counting calories again and after watching FS&ND I decided juicing would be a great thing to implement into my diet!

I have juiced one snack or meal on occasion over the last week and feel great! You are amazing to complete a 60 day juice fast!! Congratulations! :)
  • Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I remember that I came up with approximately 60 calories per 8 oz… but I do not remember how I came to that conclusion. I used to juice daily, and have juiced on and off for 18 years (since I was 16)… I am not sure if that is an accurate number… I will be right back!
  • Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I remember that I came up with approximately 60 calories per 8 oz… but I do not remember how I came to that conclusion. I used to juice daily, and have juiced on and off for 18 years (since I was 16)… I am not sure if that is an accurate number… I will be right back!
    No, this is way wrong… sorry. It is between 80 to 110 calories per cup. And that is no fiber, so it all counts.
  • ozgirl911
    ozgirl911 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I started using MFP last week and have lost 2 kg so far.
    Live the movie FS&ND too and have done some mega juicing, but now want to incorporate a juice breakfast into my 1500 cals p/day. and this is what I wanted to know too...how to count calories from juices.

Thanks for starting this topic.
  • tashabatiste
    Options
    I googled how to find the cal for juicing and I found this website n I love it might help you http://myphytos.com/build and u can also browse other juice recipes, and when juicing their is no fiber to cal conversion needed. hope this helps
  • prettyxsuicide
    Options
    Awesome job, keep it up! My husband and I started juicing too.