Question (for women): Do you "gain weight" on your period?

Options
I don't know if guys will be comfortable/interested to read this topic :P But, for all the women out there...

I feel really bloated when I'm on my period, and I have a noticeably larger midsection. I'm on the second day of my period now. Earlier, I checked my weight on the scale and was surprised to see that I gained a pound since I last checked my weight (the day before the start of my period) despite the fact that I never ate over my calorie deficit. D: So I am wondering if it could be because of my period.

Also, I heard that somehow you shouldn't lift weights when you're on your period? Is that true? XD Thanks.

Replies

• TrinityTrinityTrinity
    Options
    I'm on day 2 also, I weighed the same this morning, but I am sure I will gain weight because I really just can't fight the cravings and I'm always hungry. And I have a horrible migraine going on day 3, so all bets are off.
  • TrinityTrinityTrinity
    Options
    duplicate
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Yes. I think most of us do. There are many threads on it, if you want to see what folks have said in the past.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I don't know if guys will be comfortable/interested to read this topic :P But, for all the women out there...
    There are at least 5 of these posts a day on here...so don't be surprised if you get a few nasty responses.

Yes, we (almost) all gain, yes, we all get bloated. You are not alone...so don't stress over your weight right now....it will go away!

Its not true that you shouldn't lift weights or workout. Do whatever you are comfortable with and even try to push yourself harder if you can. Generally working out helps with cramps and bleeding. If anything, some studies show that you burn more calories this time of month...so take advantage.
  • Lyssa62
    Lyssa62 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    apparently I'm going to be gaining the weight 2 weeks before. The week of then I lost it.

*edit to agree with Heidi* I'm in perimenopausal state and the cramps are getting worse all the time. I FORCE myself out of the fetal position and take a walk...it really does help with the cramping.
  • GalaxyDuck
    GalaxyDuck Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Yes. When I was regularly tracking my weight I soon came to expect to see numbers about 5lbs heavier than my regular weight for that time of month. A day or two after it's over, I'm back to normal.

Like Sabine said, there are many other threads on this if you want to do a search and read through some other stories.
  • katwal87
    katwal87 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have been very bloated and the scales haven't moved all week so I have either stayed the same or maybe I will see a loss in a day or two once my body is "back to normal".
  • bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Also, I heard that somehow you shouldn't lift weights when you're on your period? Is that true? XD Thanks.

That was made up by girls trying to get out of gym class. Totally not true. (Although if you're getting into competitive bodybuilding there is a tiny bit of research around timing your training to your natural hormonal cycles - for amateurs, though, I don't think it's going to make a difference.)
  • moolovesme
    Options
    Now I know I'm not alone. (Guess I should have done a search first, sorry. :) Gonna make sure to do one before starting a topic next time...)

Thanks for all the responses, everyone. I'll just try my best not to stress over my weight. The regular mood swings are bad enough. Haha! I will also continue to lift weights.
  • Natashaa1991
    Natashaa1991 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    i think i gain weight before period, in pms. i am actually in pms now and i look huge and bloated :(
  • LuccyH
    LuccyH Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Always, so I think its normal, I feel bigger and horrible and ugly. And usually a week before its better to stay out of my way because Im on fire with my mood swings.
  • Ahluvly
    Ahluvly Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    A week or two before I'm due on I swell up and carry water like a balloon. Once the red river hits me, I lose my appetite and the swelling goes away *happy days*.......

Men have it SO easy! Discuss lol
  • mommytobrayden
    mommytobrayden Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I gain 4-5 lbs. when I'm on my period. It goes away as soon as I'm off, but it definitely happens to me too.
  • TinGirl314
    TinGirl314 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Ugh I gain like eight pounds and the scale doesn't move for 14 days...then I drop like ten pounds in two weeks and the whole lovely thing starts over.
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    I don't gain weight, really- I just get really bloated. It will be good for 2-3 pounds, some months.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    I don't, but weight gain during ToM is normal.
  • emmeylou
    emmeylou Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Be lucky you only went up one pound :P I can go up to 5!!! Of course it goes away and sometimes I lose extra (which I love!). Before I lost my weight I never noticed, but now that I am at a much healthier weight, I notice the weight gain and the bloating, etc. Blah. :noway:
  • LadyPakal
    LadyPakal Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Me at the moment, I get a sudden weight drop the day it starts. Last month I lost 2lb overnight, this month (a few days ago) I dropped 1.6lb. Still feel a bit bloated though, so can't figure that out.
  • Corsetopia
    Corsetopia Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I've only been at this a couple months, but last month my weight fluctuated the entire week I was on my period and on weigh in day it was a pound down when usually i'm 2 lbs down. It's pretty frustrating. This week I expect it to either do the same or no loss at all, I feel really fat right now.
  • lilylover2012
    lilylover2012 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I used to gain about 5 pounds during that time but since I've been on mpf, it's only been about a pound or two. Really, it's more like I don't gain (since you naturally fluctuate a few pounds each day anyway) but it just doesn't come off as fast.