Any shoe/foot experts out there?

Options
So, I have a ton of shoes, but NO sneakers that I can wear comfortably through a workout. What should I be looking for?

I do high impact workouts, try to run, and I walk a lot. I also have high arches. So any ideas as to what I should be looking for would be appreciated. Thanks :flowerforyou: .

Replies

• jessmastrilli
    jessmastrilli Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Look for running shoes with "neutral cushioning." I have medium-high arches and tried Stability running shoes and they hurt my feet so bad! Right now I'm using Brooks Glycerin 9 and love them!
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    go to a local running store and get fitted for proper shoes.
  • evereadysmile
    Options
    You should really go to an athletic store and try on a variety of kinds. Depending on the construction of your foot, what works for others might cause you pain. Stability and comfortable cushioning are key.

I prefer a light weight, fitted shoe, but need arch support because i have really high arches. My sister has crazy flat feet and could barely walk in the kinds of athletic shoes I prefer.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    If you're looking for running shoes go to a running store (NOT a generic "sporting goods" store either) and get yourself properly fitted. They will assess your gait and put you in shoes that are for the way YOU run. Don't just grab any shoe off the shelf because it says "running" because it might not be for you. I learned that the hard way.
  • Goosiesnougs
    Options
    Same here and my saucony RIDES are great for me.
  • telizad
    telizad Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I've always been told to look for shoes at the end of the day. Our feet tend to slightly swell up over the course of the day, due to the hours of walking and standing that they endure. As a result, we should try on shoes at the end of the day in order to ensure that they will be comfortable throughout.
  • hooperkay
    hooperkay Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    http://www.acatoday.org/content_css.cfm?CID=3129

Wet the bottom of your foot lightly and make a print on piece of paper. Then match to description. I have found the most comfortable shoes this way.
  • Jscanland
    Jscanland Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    me too. but first, I went to a podiatrist, mine is a runner. so call around and find out if there is a podiatrist in your area that is a runner. seriously. You may have something special going on and he solved my problems with planar fascitis etc... so, i went to a proffessional running store. shoes are crucial and they won't be cheap, but I find them , then I go to amazon ....
  • sadein
    Options
    I have high arches and arthritis from spraining my ankle too many times. I can't wear running shoes for high impact workouts, not enough padding. Where I live we have a shop that will analyze your foot and give you recommendations because everybody is different. Fortunately you don't have to buy their expensive shoes.

I, personally, have three different pairs of shoes that are exercise specific. I have a pair of trail runners for my walks(tried walking shoes and hated them), cross trainers for high impact workouts, runners for my gym days. The older I get, the more I'm willing to spend to have feet that don't hurt.

Brand matters too, they are all different. You have to find the one that works best for your foot. I also use inserts because of my high arches. To do this you have to buy shoes with extra room or your toes will get smushed.

I hope this helps, I'm not exactly an expert, just years of experience buying athletic shoes.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I went to a local running store and was fitted for my Brooks shoes. They scan your feet, watch you run, walk in them and figure out what type of shoe you need. I paid nearly $100.00 but it was worth every penny! If they don't spend at least 45 minutes with you, personally, to figure out what you need, go somewhere else. Good luck! I hope you find a good pair that's comfortable!
  • shenanigansmo
    shenanigansmo Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Are there any Running stores around you? Here in Cincinnati we have a chain of about 4 stores that specialize in running gear. When I started running I went in totally clueless and had them fit me. They asked me what type of running/walking I was going to be doing, if I have any medical issues with my legs or feet, watched me walk around the room, then had me try on several pairs of shoes. They even let me go outside and run around the block in them.

If this option isn't available to you in the area you live in, here is my information I gave them when I got fitted. I also have high arches. I told them I was doing a combination of running and walking then will graduate to running. This was about 2 months ago and I hardly ever walk anymore :) I also told them that I maaaaaaayyyy attempt to do our half marathon in May if training goes well. I have some minor knee issues (some tendonitis), get shin splints, and have sprained my ankles multiple times so they're a little weak. She gave 3 different brands to try. She gave me a pair of Nikes, Brooks, and a pair of Saucony's. I ended up with the Saucony Triumph 9 running shoe. They were pretty expensive $130, but TOTALLY worth it. I never have shin splints anymore and only after runs longer than 3.5 miles do my knees start to ache. These shoes are a neutral cushioned shoe with a 8mm heel to toe offset.

Hope this helps!
  • runnninginmd
    Options
    I don't think you will necessarily use the same shoes for your high impact workouts and running. I have a pair of running shoes I was professionally fitted for, and then another pair of cross trainers that I use for the gym or other cardio workouts.
  • lhergenr
    lhergenr Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I'll just ask my questions in here as well because I don't think I should make another thread about shoes haha. Does anyone buy their running shoes online? I need something versatile, I've been doing more circuit training and lifting lately but would need something that works for when i DO run (maybe once a week).
  • sadein
    Options
    I'll just ask my questions in here as well because I don't think I should make another thread about shoes haha. Does anyone buy their running shoes online? I need something versatile, I've been doing more circuit training and lifting lately but would need something that works for when i DO run (maybe once a week).

I have but I tried them on at a local store first.
  • shenanigansmo
    shenanigansmo Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I don't think I could ever buy a pair of shoes online without trying them on in person first.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Fix your gait and you don't have to worry about having super duper, fitted by the experts, expensive running shoes (having a high arch means you have a strong built in shock absorbing system, people with a flat arch have weak feet with a poor shock absorbing system that will take a long time to strengthen).

However did humans possibly run before the advent of specialized running stores and expensive shoes?

Stop heel stiking and the shoes you are wearing is irrelevant. The cusioning comes from your foot structure and muscles instead of the EVA foam under your feet. A forefoot striker would have no issue running a 5K in dress shoes (assuming you could tighten them enough to avoid blistering). Aqua socks make a fine running shoe for forefoot strikers.

Fancy running shoes are to running as canes are to walking.

The only thing that special fitted running shoes teach you is how to run the WRONG way.
  • serena569
    serena569 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    go to a local running store and get fitted for proper shoes.

This.
  • Melolicious
    Melolicious Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    One shoe doesn't fit all - in my current rotation I have outdoor running shoes (for running), trail runners (for walking, hiking), indoor stiff sole shoes for spin and then for indoor workouts I have a pair of minimus runners which I love for strength training, I have better balance in them. I spend around $100 a pair and good feet are worth every penny too me.
  • shade0343
    shade0343 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I tried some conventional cross trainers from new balance and hated them! I got some of their 'Minimus' cross trainers and that was a huge improvement. It really comes down to what is comfortable for you. One test I neglected the first time around was the simple act of jumping up and down in the prospective new shoes. The minmus shoes feel stable when I push off. Huge difference.

It's just like finding Prince Charming, sometimes you end up kissing a frog or two!
  • CrissiBrooks
    Options
    I have a lot of experience with feet and shoes. I worked for the number 1 podiatrist in Dallas for over 4 years and a medical assistant.

If you have abnormally high arches, I recommend getting a pair of custom orthotics. I have "normal" feet and cannot go without my custom devices. DO NOT buy the ones at the running stores or at the Dr. Scholl's counter. I also recommend New Balance running shoes or Brooks running shoes. NB comes in widths and have roll bars built into the soles. I definitely would go and get fit at a NB store or RunOn store. Then, have your custom orthotics fit to them.

Runners need cushioning and stability. For custom orthotics, I recommend this: PPT top cover heel to toes, LA filled in with PPT, visco heel punch, spenco top cover, suede bottom cover. Give this information to your podiatrist if you decide to go that route. He will be able to have a great device made for you!

Good luck!