Healthy pumpkin pie?

Options

Replies

• Francesca3162
    Francesca3162 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    This recipe looks much like any traditional pumpkin pie recipe, with less sugar. The real calorie savings comes from the phyllo dough crust, which is made from a premade product that you can find in the frozen section at the grocery store.
    Prep Time: 15 minutes
    Cook Time: 55 minutes
    Total Time: 1 hour, 10 minutesIngredients:
    •7 sheet of 9x14 inch phyllo dough, thawed in refrigerator
    •Cooking spray
    •1 15 oz. can of pumpkin
    •1 12 oz. can 2% lowfat evaporated milk
    •1/2 cup plus 2 Tbsp sugar
    •1 large egg
    •2 large egg whites
    •1 3/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice
    •1/4 tsp salt
    Preparation:
    1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.

2. Remove the phyllo dough from the refrigerator, cover with plastic wrap, and set aside.

3. In a large mixing bowl, combine all remaining ingredients,(pumpkin through salt) and mix well with a wire whisk.

4. Spray a 9-inch pie plate with non-stick cooking spray. Work with one phyllo sheet at a time, and cover the remaining sheets with plastic wrap. Lay one phyllo sheet in the pie plate with the edges hanging over the side. Spray the sheet with cooking spray. Repeat, layering the remaining sheets in the pie plate, placing them so that the entire bottom of the pie plate is covered, and all edges of the pie plate are covered as well.

5. Have a small dish of cold water handy. Wet you fingers, and fold the hanging edges of the phyllo dough inward, and press them along the edge of the pie plate to make a nice edging. Continue wetting your fingers as needed so that the phyllo dough does not crumble.

6. Pour the pumpkin mixture into the phyllo dough shell.

7. Bake the pie for 55 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the center of the pie comes out clean. Allow to cool completely, then serve or store in the refrigerator.

Optional: Top with a dollop of low fat whipped topping if desired.

Serves 8

Per Serving Calories 157
  • LesleeBeAlive
    Options
    bump!
  • doitforabby
    doitforabby Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I have an amazing recipe I found years ago when I was doing WW. I will try to find it and post it when I get home!
  • Francesca3162
    Francesca3162 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    2-Minute Pumpkin Pie
    If you need a little something to satisfy your sweet tooth, whip up this 75-calorie pumpkin pie for one. This simple recipe, pared down to the most basic and common ingredients, only takes 2 minutes to make, but the end result tastes as delicious as traditional, calorie-packed pie.
    Ingredients:
    1/2 c. pumpkin puree
    1/4 c. egg whites (from an egg or carton)
    Sweetener
    Cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice

Directions:

Mix together all the ingredients. If you prefer a flan-like texture, add more pumpkin; if you prefer a cake-like texture, add more egg whites. Microwave for two minutes. Use a mix of Greek yogurt, hazelnut cream cheese, and pumpkin pie spice for the icing. Top with toasted pecans.

Makes one serving

Calorie count depends on what items you exchange....
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    I make pumpkin "pie" without the crust and call it pumpkin pudding. I use 2% or no fat evaporated milk and it's better for me than the regular pie, with lots of taste.
  • Crystalmac82
    Crystalmac82 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    It is scientifically proven that pumpkin pie consumed on Thanksgiving is calorie neutral.....

Ha ! Love it.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    it counts as a vegtable... right??
  • redfroggie
    redfroggie Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Saving for later.
  • runbyme
    runbyme Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    You can always make pumpkin pie without the crust or try this delish recipe for Pumpkin Mousse!

Nutritional Info
    Servings Per Recipe: 8
    Amount Per Serving
    Calories: 67.8
    Total Fat: 0.3 g
    Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
    Sodium: 285.8 mg
    Total Carbs: 14.6 g
    Dietary Fiber: 2.5 g
    Protein: 2.0 g

Tastes like Pumpkin Pie Without The Crust

Minutes to Prepare: 10 Minutes to Cook: Number of Servings: 8

Ingredients
    Pumpkin, Canned-15 oz.
    Milk, Fat Free-1 cup
    Vanilla Pudding Mix, Instant Sugar Free Fat Free-2 boxes (2 ounces total)
    Cool Whip, Fat Free-2 cups (8 oz. container)

Tips
    **This can also be used as a dip for fruit and/or a dip for ginger snaps and graham crackers.

Directions
    Using a mixer, combine Pumpkin, Milk and Pumpkin Pie Spice. Add instant pudding. Add Cool Whip. Mix until uniform color (about 5 minutes).
    Refrigerate for 2 hours.

Serving Size:Makes 8 1/2 cup servings
  • skinnyme47
    skinnyme47 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    There is a recipe on this site called Pumpkin Cheesecake mousse.
  • hiker359
    hiker359 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I only have it once a year, so I don't care if it's healthy or not. Love me some pumpkin pie!
  • shelleyspots
    Options
    will someone please tell me what "Bump" means?
  • hem8787
    hem8787 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Make it crustless. The filling is the best part. The crust is just wasted calories (and A LOT of them)!
  • Biodemon
    Biodemon Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I just switche to Pumkin Flan - I got a recipe off of the Weight Watcher's website and it was very good - I am at work now but will try to find it for you when I get home if you are interested.
    That would be wonderful, ma'am. Thanks!
  • STC189
    STC189 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Erindipitous
    Erindipitous Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Portion control is best. Make them tart size to for better control.

Good tip! Cute, and practical!
  • Biodemon
    Options
    skip the crust, which generally gets all soggy anyway and make it as a casserole. You could also make it as a souffle and it would practically be health food:

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1993-11-18/entertainment/9311200008_1_solid-pack-pumpkin-whites-heat
    Oh lawd. Pumpkin soufflé is sin incarnate! Why did I not think of that. Thank you for the idea.
  • momnorg
    momnorg Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    bump
  • melsmith612
    melsmith612 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Pumpkin pie is actually one of the healthiest pies you could possibly eat. Don't torture yourself with "diet" versions of a pumpkin pie recipe. Just eat your one serving size slice of pie, enjoy it, log it and counter the extra calories with exercise or lower calorie choices the rest of the day (or both).
  • Biodemon
    Options
    Thank you all for your responses! Got spiffy ideas :3