Diabetics

Options
Hi: Just recently diagnosed as diabetic. I am a food addic. The endocrinologist they sent me to says to me, "I just don't understand people not being able to control their eating. Do you think I will go back to him???? I know I have to gain control of my eating habits. I went to a nutritionist and am to eat 30-45 carbs for breakfast and 1 oz protein. 30-45 carbs and 14-21 grams of protein for lunch and 45-60 grams carbs and21-28 grams protein for supper and snack 15-30 grams carb before bed, a snack which I really look forward to. She says this should make me feel more satisfied and not want to eat all the time. So I am giving it a honest try this week. Also am going to try walking a mile a day this week.

I need a lot of help and support, the reason I am exposing myself here. I know I am not the only person in the world struggling with this. Maybe I can find a good friend and support here. Blessings,

Replies

• jennifer41466
    Options
    Hi! I was just diagnosed as prediabetic. I am doing research to try and figure out what I should be eating. I checked my blood sugar lever this morning after fasting and it was 140. I really want to get this under control. I changed my eating habits 2 weeks ago. I am also walking every day. I'm new to this and could use a friend. You can add me if you like.
  • Yukongil
    Yukongil Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    friend request sent. From my experience, that seems like a good way to go. I aim for 6 meals a day, 3 slightly bigger main meals, with 3 slightly smaller snacks spaced in between and it works pretty good for me, I only get hungry on the weekends when my schedule isn't as tight. But being diabetic, you have a whole other set of motivation to lose weight and take control of your health. You aren't trying to fit into a nice set of clothes or show off at the beach, you are trying to live and not have pieces of you cut off as the disease runs rampant through your body unchecked. At least that's my motivation and so far in my short life it is the only thing that has gotten me off the couch and out of the fridge. I was not given this life to waste it or end it in misery of that I'm sure.

Anyways, find your happy balance of fullness, stick with a good exercise schedule (I'd really really really really suggest adding weights to your workouts, maybe like twice a week to start and then work up from there) as the exercise will really help with the diabetes. I was diagnosed early August after a infection ran rampant through my leg and I was forced (by my wife) to go to he ER. They did a A1C on me and it was a 12.4! No, that is not a mistype (Docs said I wasn' t the highest they'd ever seen, but it was pretty damn close). Well, since I got out of the hospital, with a drastic change of my diet and exercise (really only eating better and actually doing exercise), my A1C from labs I had last week was 8.0! My diabetes nurse was blown away that I had it drop by more than a 1/3d in a month, and I was pretty happy too! You may not see quick results on the scale or with the tape measure, but the way you feel will drastically improve, which is just another motivator to continue.

So add me as a friend if you like, I'll be more than happy to provide help, support and encouragment along the way in what ever way I am able.
  • thrudhammer
    thrudhammer Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    What to say? I'm relatively new at this weight loss thing and a diabetic, too. I'm not a friendly guy (consider my avatar) but I do try to help out others in the same boat - if for no other reason than I don't want them rocking it and tipping it over. :)

Here's what has worked for me so far:

My nutritionist has been more important than my endocrinologist at getting my eating under control. The endocrinologists job is to tweak the settings on the carburetor, the nutritionists job is to manage what's going into the fuel tank. My biggest problem was that I kept pouring more sugar into the tank than the carburetor could handle.

Lots of little meals. Three small meals and three smaller snacks, on a schedule, every day, hungry or not. I found that eating regularly helped keep me from becoming hungry and made everything go a lot easier.

Log everything that goes in your mouth. Everything. It really helped to see what I was eating as well as how much I was eating. It's easy to cheat on my log but my butt always rats me out.

Initially, I was focused strictly on calories and didn't worry about proteins/carbs/fats. After months of fiddling with my intake, I found that I can't eat "balanced" and need to have more protein and fat in my diet than the professionals recommend or I get too hungry. Bread, sugar and starchy vegetables were hard to kick but, with time and a little determination, they are largely gone from my diet. That has made a huge difference in my hunger, too. I still miss potatoes - now I use them as a "once a month if I'm doing well" treat to motivate myself. All things in moderation, including moderation.

I HATE exercise but physical activity is important so I make time to play every day. Find something - anything - that's a little bit physical that you can do every day.

Find a Doc that you can trust and respect. My first endocrinologist was an arrogant, insufferable, @#$%$ who treated me like just another peg to move from one hole to the next, was disrespectful of my time and about as friendly as a piece of cold poo. I hated him so much I actually stopped going to see him. At my primary Docs insistence I went back and told him why I didn't like him and had stopped coming to see him. Apparently that doesn't happen to Docs very often because he actually sat down, listened for awhile and then we had a long talk - and it was a good one. He made some changes in how he treats me as a person and I've realized that some of my dislike of him was really misdirected anger at my situation. It turns out that once we both started seeing each other as people instead of faceless cogs, we're much better at working together and have been getting along famously ever since.

Once I straightened my endocrinologist out, we started fiddling with some of my meds. I found that some of my meds were actually making me hungry - some of the new ones not only don't make you hungry they actually help make you less hungry. Some of the drugs make your blood sugars more unstable, some help smooth things out. Many of the drugs promote water retention, etc. Test like a maniac, log like your life depends on it and you'll begin to better understand what different foods and drugs do to you. It has been enlightening - and kind of fun to see how much of a difference some of this stuff actually makes.

Stay positive. Instead of looking at progress as a series of ups and downs, I try to look at it as little meanders to the left and right. I have a target and a path and I know I'm going to take as many left steps as right. It really doesn't matter if I take a step off course, so long as I know it and take a step back in the right direction. When I have a bad day (and we all do) I don't punish myself but just dust myself off, have a good laugh and get back on the trail. My last A1c was down to 6.1 and the pounds are still falling away, so I have a lot to be thankful for.
  • begreenbe
    begreenbe Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I'll send a friend request. I am prediabetic and am trying to lose 30 lbs.
  • robinred2
    robinred2 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Glad to be your friend