What kind of HRM do you have?

I want one and dont know where to start! Something simple and inexpensive...cant afford 100 dollar one! Thanks

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    If you're on a budget don't get one. It's not necessary at all. I promise you that you can lose fat just as quickly without an HRM. Heck, I better you lose more faster without one. Set up and follow a work out schedule, eat sensibly, track everything. If at some later date you have $100 to waste and an HRM still floats your boat, go ahead. But please don't feel like you can't reach your goals without strapping a $100 gadget to your chest every day. I know someone from the Cult of HRM is going to bounce in here and say you aren't serious about fitness unless you have one, but they are wrong wrong wrong.

Best of luck reaching your fitness goals.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    New Balance N4 - retails for $70, I got a brand new one on eBay for $26. Works great.

I did my homework here and by reading reviews on Amazon. Narrowed my choices down to the New Balance or a Polar (Polar is the most popular here at MFP). Put auctions for both models on my watchlist and waited - the New Balance came up first. :smile:

Use the search feature here and read through the old threads for user comments and reviews, and check Amazon too - I found both very helpful in figuring out what I wanted.
  • quietasariot
    quietasariot Posts: 198 Member
    I spent $26 on mine on Amazon, it was a Pulsesonic. I used it for quite a few months but felt it got to be a competition/obsession to burn x amount of calories. It was definitely useful, though!!
  • dane11235813
    dane11235813 Posts: 682 Member
    Don't listen to that negative guy. If I had not bought a HRM I never would have found out how many calories I burn while driving to the gym in my car
    Side note....anyone want to buy a hardly used Polar HRM?
  • TachaB
    TachaB Posts: 16 Member
    I bought the Polar FT4 based on my research and comments from other users. I'm loving it so far.... I wanted to have a more accurate reading of the calories I burn. I used it for a Zumba class yesterday and was surprised by the calories I burned. :) I bought mine on Amazon for $60 since stores near me wanted nearly $100 for it. Definitely a good investment. :) I hope you find one that fits your weight loss and budget needs. :)
  • PibblesRun
    PibblesRun Posts: 236 Member
    Don't listen to that negative guy. If I had not bought a HRM I never would have found out how many calories I burn while driving to the gym in my car

Well im obviously looking for one...how much?
  • dane11235813
    dane11235813 Posts: 682 Member
    like Dav said. you really don't need one. the 'calorie burn' you get off those is basically an estimate.
  • I'm looking for one as well
  • Not sure if I should post this question as a new topic, but how can you tell if you're HRM is accurate?
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    I've lost all 51 of my pounds based on estimates and eating as much food as possible...I even usually eat ALL of my exercise calories even though MFP and cardio machines allegedly grossly overestimate them. If you really feel like you have to have one, go for it, but is absolutely not necessary!
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Not sure if I should post this question as a new topic, but how can you tell if you're HRM is accurate?

You can't. Even though it is more accurate than machines, etc. it is still ultimately an estimate
  • tikafly
    tikafly Posts: 184 Member
    another vote for Polar FT4 (from Amazon).

The naysayers are right; you don't "need" one. However, I like using one.

I was concerned about the chest strap, and I didn't believe others when they said that they couldn't feel it. They're right, however. I can't feel the chest strap.
  • SJCon
    SJCon Posts: 224
    like Dav said. you really don't need one. the 'calorie burn' you get off those is basically an estimate.

But a better and more personal estimate than you get from other sources. It is all estimates Calories in, out, BMI, BMR, etc.

My wife loves watching her zone on her FT7 polar I love seeing what percent of fat I burned on my FT60 polar as well as its training programs. They are not really necessary but they can be informative and fun and if you feel like rewarding yourself go ahead.

They do have limitations, they won't tell you Kcals burned by muscle use eg. weight lifting but the aerobic part better than nothing IMO.

The FT60 and FT 80 will give you a Gage of your fitness level so that is fun to see progress in. Polar USA will help you select and see features but the more bells and whistles the more cost. Pick one based on your goals and type of exercise.
  • hauer01
    hauer01 Posts: 516 Member
    I have a Polar FT4 from Amazon and love it. It was around $60.00

Do you need one? Probablly not.

I got once because I have a family history of heart issues and I wanted to be able to monitor my heart while I am working out so that I am aware of where my heart rate is at and can adjust accordingly. For this, the $60 is well worth it to me. It gives me piece of mind. I already know that I have this heart condition, so I better stay on top of it.
  • justlistening
    justlistening Posts: 249 Member
    I have a polar FT7. Like others said it is not necessary. I wanted to see how much I was burning during lifting mostly. If possible borrow one if only for a few workouts to gadge whether MFP estimates are decent for the way you are exercising. It is nice to see the numbers you are burning since we see so many numbers with food going in.
  • SJCon
    SJCon Posts: 224
    a lot of people are not aware that you burn more fat at low intensity (between 60-70% max HR) so they can help you better focus and work on your goals. Runners pace distance etc., Weightlifters can determine minimum resting between sets etc.

And if you are working and depriving yourself of so many things like short ribs who doesn't need a little fun?
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    If you *do* decide to get one, my advice is to shell out $100ish for a decent Polar (or some other reputable brand) model and not a bargain cheaper one.

Not necessarily because the more expensive one will be better or more accurate, but because you paid so much for it, you'll be more likely to want to use it to justify the expense. And when you're using a HRM, you're (presumably) actually doing something, and that's a good thing.

(But seriously, I plan to pick up one of the popular Polar models to satisfy my own curiosity.)
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    a lot of people are not aware that you burn more fat at low intensity (between 60-70% max HR) so they can help you better focus and work on your goals.

^^^^^^THIS IS WHY YOU DON'T GET A HRM^^^^^^^^^^^
  • Don't listen to that negative guy. If I had not bought a HRM I never would have found out how many calories I burn while driving to the gym in my car

Well im obviously looking for one...how much?

:laugh: :laugh:
  • rudegyal_b
    rudegyal_b Posts: 593 Member
    dont bother, save up and get a fitbit