tired of salads..SERIOUSLY!

Options
i used to diet just eating salads, and since then im SO SICK OF SALAD!!! and im trying to lose weight again because i rebounded.

i used to live in tokyo so it was easy to shed the lbs because i walked everyhwere. but im back at home and i gained weight as usual. how can i make a salad more exciting? lol. can i diet/ lose weight without eating only salads and eat real food?? what to eat?! HELP

Replies

• linawil
    Options
    I've found some wonderful cookbooks and a site that offers healthy versions of foods I love. Have also tried some new meals. American Heart Associations Quick and Easy Cookbook, Betty Crocker Healthy Heart Cookbook, and the application for www.sparkpeople.com is on my iTouch. The latter is where people share healthy recipes. Good luck. I started with salads, too, but now I'm happily enjoy real food and making slow and steady progress.
  • lulabellewoowoo
    lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
    Options
    My husband has blessed me with some great ideas for salads. I always make sure there's a little bit of protein (fish or shrimp for me as I'm vegetarian). Also, I try different cheeses with different flavors. And I know Trader Joe's has some really good salad dressings, and as long as you don't drench the salad in them, they are tasty and good for you.
  • 2kidzlater
    2kidzlater Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    A vegetable soup, hommade soups are best. Roasted Vegetables which lend themself to room temperature. Try roasting zucchini, squash, carrots, eggplant, red peppers (yellow, orange too), Asparagus, green beans,, brussel sprouts, grape tomatoes.
    Just use a little olive oil, salt and pepper. Don't overcrowd the baking sheet. Roast at 350 until browned. Each vegetable cooks at it's own pace but usually you'll start to see them start to darken about 20 minutes. This is great added to quiche mixture, served ontop of spinach or made into a sandwhich (good crusty bread). My husband who's not a big veggie fan will even eat this. It'salso good served over pasta.
  • kaytbognar
    Options
    What are you putting in your salad? The more diverse your ingredient list, the more varied and interesting you can make your salads.

Trying including:
    Grains--wild rice, quinoa, amaranth, toasted oats.
    Nuts--pecans, pine nuts, almonds, walnuts, macademia nuts
    Beans & Legumes--Chickpeas, adzuki beans, pigeon peas, kindey beans (red or white,) black beans, lentils...
    Plus, using a variety of greens above and beyond just romaine or iceberg lettuce--spinach, baby spinach, mustard greens, sprouts of any variety, arugula, radiccio. You can even use leafy "spices" like basil, thai basil, or parsley.

Eat a rainbow when you're adding other veggies and even fruit, the brighter and more varied the colours of what's in your salad will not only keep you visually interested, it'll diversify the nutrient profile of your meal. Red cabbage, tomatoes, eggplant, broccoli, hot peppers, sweet peppers, strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, oranges, apples, pears, pineapple.

Also, get adventurous and make your own dressings--try walnut oil, sesame oil, avocado oil, coconut oil, flax oil, or hemp oil then add a vinegar--raspberry vinegar, balsamic vinegar, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, lime juice (for a sweeter summer salad, you could even use fresh squeezed orange juice!) After that, add salt, pepper, or a little bit of other spices and seasonings (cayenne, paprika, star anise, garlic, cilantro, curry) and you're good to go.

Anything you see in the produce section, pretty much, can go into a salad. Getting creative and exploring new things is what's going to keep it interesting. Good luck!