ZERO calorie food? Not fat free... calorie free?

Options
13»

Replies

• Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I would say for the purpose of losing weight I see no reason why not to use this stuff however let me warn that most things that say 0 calories do indeed have some calories. If I can remember correctly I think if its under 5 calories a serving they can say 0 calorie food (product).
    even for purpose of losing: if you eat 0kcal chemicals instead of real food, once you are done with your diet, it's more probable for you to gain the weight back, same with all liquid diets, and coming from the box diets, you don't get a chance to learn eating healthy, so then, when you reach your goal you don't know how to maintain.

that comes from yo-yo girl
    been there, dont that
    now i'm just trying to learn to eat healthy and stick to the good food for the rest of my life
  • Beckym1205
    Beckym1205 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Once again, has anyone read the ingredient list of the products in question? Here's the ingredient list for the Buttermilk Ranch dressing:
    water, white vinegar, cellulose gel, salt, onion powder, garlic powder, sour cream flavoring (non dairy), lemon juice, white pepper, xanthan gum (thickener made from vegetables), lactic acid, parsley, and cayenne pepper, food color (made from fruit or vegetables), sucralose (splenda) sodium benzoate (to preserve freshness)

Hidden valley ingredients:
    Soybean oil, water, egg yolk, sugar, salt, cultured nonfat buttermilk, natural flavors (soy) spices, less than 1% of: dried garlic, dried onion, vinegar, phosphoric acid, xanthan gum, modified food starch, Monosodium glutamate, artificial flavors, disodium phosphate, sorbic acid, calcium disodium EDTA as Preservatives, disodium inosinate and disodium guanylate.

Not that I'm an advocate for the product, but if you like it, it doesn't appear to be unsafe. I'm not seeing all the loads of chemicals everyone is going on about.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Once again, has anyone read the ingredient list of the products in question? Here's the ingredient list for the Buttermilk Ranch dressing:
    water, white vinegar, cellulose gel, salt, onion powder, garlic powder, sour cream flavoring (non dairy), lemon juice, white pepper, xanthan gum (thickener made from vegetables), lactic acid, parsley, and cayenne pepper, food color (made from fruit or vegetables), sucralose (splenda) sodium benzoate (to preserve freshness)

Hidden valley ingredients:
    Soybean oil, water, egg yolk, sugar, salt, cultured nonfat buttermilk, natural flavors (soy) spices, less than 1% of: dried garlic, dried onion, vinegar, phosphoric acid, xanthan gum, modified food starch, Monosodium glutamate, artificial flavors, disodium phosphate, sorbic acid, calcium disodium EDTA as Preservatives, disodium inosinate and disodium guanylate.

Not that I'm an advocate for the product, but if you like it, it doesn't appear to be unsafe. I'm not seeing all the loads of chemicals everyone is going on about.

I never even noticed Hidden Valley had MSG! Now all those long gone headaches are explained...
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    The label said zero calories

That doesn't mean that the whole pack will have zero cals - just that one serving size has under 5 cals (that's what I've heard about US labelling laws anyway, Australia is a bit more rational about it). So if you eat a whole pack of something that has "zero cals" per serve you might in fact be eating 20 or 50 or 100 cals. Not a large amount by any means, but not truly zero.
    Thats marketing spin for you!

I agree with previous posters - read the ingredients label and if you are happy with what's in it, and you like the taste - go for it!
  • skinnyitaliannn
    Options
    EAT CALORIES! i don't know why they would make a zero calorie peanut butter... what about the protein and healthy fats? i would much rather have those than whatever strange chemicals and flavorings are in those things.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    My one guideline with food is eat less of the real things, rather than more of the fake things.
  • postcall
    postcall Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Just try it out and see if you like it. I dont mind the stuff when I use it correctly. I will use it sometimes with the real thing so I can add less or I will use it as a base in something that I am making. Get Shiratake noodles as well.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    The barbecues sauce is ok...my partner is diabetic ,so is becoming a connoisseur of sugar free items. There are better sugar free chocolate sauces, but if you're really wanting the zero calorie, its ok.