Smart Ones by WW - how "smart" are they..really?

Options
I struggle finding foods that I like for lunch at work. Breakfast - no problem. But lunch is tough! Not a huge sandwich eater. A couple times during the week I will bring in a frozen Smart Ones meal (usually the roasted turkey & mashed potatoes). I know they are endorsed by Weight Watchers, but how healthy are the really?

Replies

• sunshinesquared
    sunshinesquared Posts: 2,733 Member
    Options
    They're not that "smart"! Full of sodium and processed stuff. You are better off without them!!!
  • Erica0718
    Erica0718 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    They are usually really high in sodium. A better alternative may be to bring left overs for lunch
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Check the labels and see how they fit in your calories and macro requirements. Some are better than others. My biggest problem with them is that they're soooooo low in protein and high in sodium. Honestly, the numbers on a Hot Pocket look better. :grumble:
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    who cares, they taste like *kitten*
  • ziggyboys
    ziggyboys Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    They cerainly are not the best option for you as they are high in sodium (usually 1/3 of your daily allowance). But I find them to be a better option in the workplace then say "ordering out" or "fast food" for sure. Best thing would be for you to prepare your own lunch the night before and take that to work :) Good Luck
  • vidvox
    vidvox Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I'm not really into sandwiches either and I'm also trying to cut out frozen meals. I just take a variety of things to work, like fruit, veggies and hummus, granola bars, greek yogurt, etc. and eat what I want on a given day. If there are leftovers I'll take those sometimes, but mostly I nibble on a variety of things and it works well for me.
  • jennw912
    jennw912 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Just check the labels! For weight watchers people it is good because they follow points. Kind of how on here we follow calories. With just counting calories, check what the calorie count is and also check carbs and sodium! The frozen meals/food can have over 60 g of carbs! Yikes! I will eat the Healthy Choice frozen meals more often then weight watchers. And left overs are good idea if what you made for dinner was good! I make a lot of pasta meals for dinner (thank the fiance for that) so I know sometimes my dinner can range from 400-600 cals so I try and keep lunch around 300! Good luck!
  • shinkalork
    shinkalork Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I don't think they taste bad at all...I kinda love them.
    Compared to many frozen stuff...It's much much better.
    Low cal, not too bad on protein depending which ones, low sugar...Ok salt is not super but try to find pre-made food without it...It's hard.

I don't say to eat them but....if you're in a hurry and need quick food...It's for my point of view the best frozen one out there.
  • Heyyleigh
    Heyyleigh Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Terrible, cook your own food, fresh and clean! In a pinch they will do, but I never eat them.
  • phonypony
    Options
    Bad!!! Don't eat them. For lunches I have found it hard too but it's good if you can make a little extra dinner and take that as leftovers. Normally I do that and/or a piece of fruit (apples are the best as they don't easily squish!), carrot/carrot sticks, nuts/sunflower seeds (high in cals but good source of good fats and protein), low fat yogurt, rice crackers, hummus, dried fruit etc. :) I hate sandwiches toooo!! Unless I make and eat it straight away. You could take bread and make toast at work e.g. toast and avocado or something?
  • bobsmom1957
    Options
    I have my favorites in the Smart Ones, I usally keep a couple on hand for back up when I don't have any leftovers or just to make a change, I try not to make a habit of eating them, but I have them when I don't know what to eat.
  • TinGirl314
    TinGirl314 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    They're not going to kill you, if that's what your asking.
    I for one live in a house where I cannot cook. I do however have a microwave.
    Yes the sodium sucks, but I keep it to one for dinner and then a salad for lunch.
    I also drink my water everyday and get lots of potassium.
    I've lost about 16 pounds since 08/04. I'm happy with it. ^_^ I'm also lifting and taking protein shakes so I'm gaining and loosing at the same time.

I prefer Lean cuisine, but on ALL of them you have to watch the carbs, they sneak them in everywhere!
    56 grams of carbs for a sandwich...might as well eat a sandwich.
    I actually replace one meal a day with lean cuisine or healthy choice.
    Again, if I could cook I would, but I love lean cuisine and healthy choice. :3
    Haven't had too many smart ones...
  • wranglerwomen
    wranglerwomen Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    bump to read later
  • MrsWonderland
    MrsWonderland Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I used to work there and still eat them, but the only way they can be labled as a diet food is the size portion. Sodium in most all processed food is high. Home cooked food is better in all accounts, but since its small portions I guess its ok sometimes cause its quick and easy.