Shopping List For Budget

Options
Hey everyone, I have a budget of approximately $200.00 every month. I am needing ideas for a shopping list. I am able to cook on my own, so that's not a problem, just need ingredients. So any information with a potential shopping list for a $200.00 monthly budget would be very much appreciated. If the list could also be broken down into categories (fruits, meats, dairy etc) it'd be greatly appreciated.

Thank you everyone,
Adam

Replies

• cgarand
    cgarand Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    If you buy a whole chicken you can get several meals from it. If you get to the store early enough you may find sometimes they have coupons right on the meat packages of things that are about to outdate. (I got two big pork roasts for 10 dollars ($5.00 each) not that long ago.) You can also get frozen veggies at a pretty good price sometimes. I don't eat a lot of rice, but a bag of rice is pretty inexpensive and you can have that with beans, salsa and a little cheese or low fat sour cream for a kinda mexican rice bowl. I can't wait to see what people advise, I can always save some money!
  • eireannyoung
    eireannyoung Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    My budget is just about the same. I tend not to cook fancy meals, I just stick to the basics.

Fruits: Apples, bananas, frozen berries, raisins, other fruit in season (in season is less expensive and tastes better)

Vegetables: Lettuce/mixed greens (usually in a container, it lasts longer), spinach (same), potatoes, carrots, cucumber, zucchini/squash

Meat: chicken, turkey, lamb, beef (I get the higher fat percentage, it's cheaper, and the fat can easily be drained), EGGS

Nuts/seeds: cashews, almonds, brazil nuts, walnuts, sunflower seeds, flaxseed (all of these I get in bulk to last a month or more, so I'm not exactly sure how they fit into a monthly budget.)

Misc: Olive oil, canned coconut milk

I eat Paleo so there is a bunch of stuff that is not on the list. So to add to this, I'd recommend getting certain things in the bulk section of the store: grains (especially rice), beans (dry), trail mix, etc.
  • HockeyFan1987
    Options
    My budget is just about the same. I tend not to cook fancy meals, I just stick to the basics.

Fruits: Apples, bananas, frozen berries, raisins, other fruit in season (in season is less expensive and tastes better)

Vegetables: Lettuce/mixed greens (usually in a container, it lasts longer), spinach (same), potatoes, carrots, cucumber, zucchini/squash

Meat: chicken, turkey, lamb, beef (I get the higher fat percentage, it's cheaper, and the fat can easily be drained), EGGS

Nuts/seeds: cashews, almonds, brazil nuts, walnuts, sunflower seeds, flaxseed (all of these I get in bulk to last a month or more, so I'm not exactly sure how they fit into a monthly budget.)

I eat Paleo so there is a bunch of stuff that is not on the list. So to add to this, I'd recommend getting certain things in the bulk section of the store: grains (especially rice), beans (dry), trail mix, etc.

What exactly is Paleo, I've had several people mention it to me before....
  • vanillarama
    vanillarama Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    The key also, beyond the shopping list, is to have some idea of what you will do with the items. Plan meals out, so that you get the most value for your money. I try to use every single thing in my house and let nothing go to waste. Of course it doesn't work 100% of the time, but I've gotten fairly good at it. If you just have random food items that don't make very interesting meals for you, you won't eat them, and you'll resort to pre-made meals, etc.

So I agree with everything above, just make sure that you have an idea of how these foods will fit into your day. I end up with some kind of strange food combos, but they work for me :)
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Rather than tell you specific things to buy, I'd encourage you to try to figure out the cost of each of your meals. Assuming you eat 3 a day, you can afford to spend $2.22 on every meal. Let's round that down to $2, so it leaves you an extra $20 for snacks, drinks, whatever else you like.

Okay, so your budget per meal is 2 dollars. Now what I'd do is write out some meals that I like to make, the cost of all the ingredients, and how many meals this makes. Here's an example of what my plan looks like, using something I buy all the time:

1 package of 6 whole-wheat pitas (1.50)
    1 can of tomato sauce (0.70)
    1/2 brick of Mozzarella cheese (2.50)
    1 can of pineapple tidbits (1.20)
    1/2 package of bacon (1.75)
    1 green pepper (0.25)
    grand total: 7.90 / 6 meals = 1.31 per meal

Obviously, you can't buy just half a brick of cheese or half a package of bacon, so my next meal will probably be based around the things I will have left over. I'll keep doing this until I have fed myself for as long as I expect all the ingredients I buy to last, and then everything on my plan will go on my grocery list. After a while you will start to get an idea of which things you use a lot, at which point I would encourage you to buy those things in bulk or stock up when they are on sale and further lower your price per meal.

As for specific things to buy, the only thing I don't see already mentioned so far is popcorn. It's ~250 calories for ~1/3 cup of kernels popped in an air popper, which is a HUGE bowl popped. I get easily more than ten bowls out of one $1.50 bag of kernels. It's a little high in carbs, but it's a much better (and cheaper!) choice than any other snack I can think of. You can pop it on the stove in oil for a few extra calories, but honestly a low-end air popper is probably the best $20 you'll ever spend.
  • Antlady69
    Antlady69 Posts: 204 Member
    Options

Paleo, or paleolithic diet, is also known as the Caveman diet. See here:
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2010/10/04/the-beginners-guide-to-the-paleo-diet/
  • Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Pinto beans (not canned), brown rice, eggs, carrots. If you have a friend that can take you to Costco, or Sams, buy canned veggies by the flat. Chicken, peanut butter. Like a previous poster said, get meats that are about to go bad. They taste best at this point anyways, and you can freeze them. Pork is a more affordable meat. Don't be to shy about going to a food pantry if you need a little more than you can afford. Food is really going up in price lately...
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Frozen chicken breasts
    Eggs
    Tuna
    Milk
    Whey protein
    Beans
    Peanut Butter
  • zeebruhgirl
    zeebruhgirl Posts: 493 Member
    Options

And describe it to you. I don't know how many times I've gone over it with you.
  • zeebruhgirl
    zeebruhgirl Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    And my fiance and I feed two people on less than 100$ every two weeks, so you just have to plan, look at sales, and shop accordingly.
  • JohnMessmer
    Options
    I would suggest that you look for some coupons, every extra bit helps when the budget is tight.
  • boerke33
    boerke33 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    We stock up the freezer with tons of chicken- thighs, breasts, lean ground beef, lean ground turkey. You can buy those max paks and then break them up into portion sizes for you (or your family) and freeze. This way you will always have a healthy option at your fingertips. Ground beef, turkey provide endless amounts of meal ideas: spaghetti, chili, meatloaf, stuffed bell peppers, tacos, etc. Buy fruits and vegetables on sale- go with what is in season. I have a local grocery store that has super cheap fruits and veggies- unfortunately i have to go to 2 stores (the meat, dry stuff is super expensive there) but it's worth it. Also, I agree with the other users- if money is tight stock up on canned stuff too- noodles, rice, beans, canned tomatoes, corn, spaghetti sauce. It'll get you through it.

If you're single, do you ever meal share with friends? I used to do it when I was single and my friends and I would take turns cooking. It's way cheaper to cook for 2-3 one day and then let them cook for you on the other days. Plus it's nice to have the company.

JB
  • Nekoashi
    Nekoashi Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    These are great suggestions! :smile: I like the idea of breaking it down and planning as much as you can so when you go shopping you can spend a certain amount for each day/week, then you know you wont be left with nothing at the end of the month. And just think how much better you'll be feeling since it'll be healthier food :happy:
  • TrinityTrinityTrinity
    Options
    I made this recipe from skinnytaste.com and for one person, it could feed you for like 6 days. It's the crockpot santa fe chicken.
  • 30Purple
    30Purple Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Depending on where you live, you should really shop the local super markets and do some couponing. Google whatever store is nearby with "coupon match up" and you can get a blogger in your area with the deals. Whatever is on sale this week, whether it be fish, chicken or pork, write it down and get an estimate of what you'll need. $50 a week for one person is SO easy.

I get kale at Walmart because it 's cheapest, but most of the other veggies suck. I make kale chips (delicious -- google it!).

Whole chickens on sale are perfect, can get quite a few meals. Eggs are cheap. Shop Sam's club for your veggies, bulk broccoli, mushrooms, avocados, and more!
  • seximami79
    seximami79 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I don't know if you have a Joe V's in your area, but they have awesome prices on some stuff. If you like meat, they have these $20 packages that include various combos like a whole chicken, two pounds of ground beef, fajita chicken, rib eye steak, and some other kind of meat...we did that last week, and I was being friendly with the cashier, and he rang up only the chicken, so I got all of that for $5!!! Work your jelly;)

Dried beans are super cheap...bananas are good.

I think what is also important to consider is what you will eat...doesn't matter what you buy if you waste it. Plus, something that won't pan out immediately but a good investment for the future (that I often fantasize about)...growing your own vegetables.

Also, an issue I have had is making too much when I cook, so I used to have a buddy of mine with whom I would take turn sharing my meals. It created a good balance because I eat a lot of meat and she eats a lot of raw veggies.

eggs and rice are pretty cheap too.
  • HockeyFan1987
    Options
    Shop Sam's club for your veggies, bulk broccoli, mushrooms, avocados, and more!

Unfortunately, no Sam's Club around, closest one is over an hour away