help! need advice for going out to bar

Options
A bunch of my girlfriends and I are going out dancing tonight, which means there will be drinking. I'm slightly concerned about the calories in the alcohol, but I'm way more worried about the *really* bad food choices I make when I've had a couple drinks... Does anyone have advice for how to keep this under control? I'm so nervous!

Replies

• kellabella314
    Options
    Go have fun! Just work out extra hard tomorrow. Or for future times. If you know your going to be going out, Work out really hard at the gym in the morning and watch your food choices leaving a good amount of calories left for when you go out. Drinks and fingerfoods arent going to kill you. Just dont make a habit of it !! :drinker:
  • jaimegs
    Options
    Right on - that's usually how I avoid putting the weight back on too. Snack on veggies and fruits in between meals if you're still hungry, you'll feel fuller longer and save yourself the calories for the bar.
  • amykff
    amykff Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    when you find out can you please tell me because everytime i drink i f**k up with my food!! whether its that night or hungover the next day i always make the wrong choice!! the only thing i can think of is to not drink as much....if you dont drink often id just enjoy it and make up for it during the week :smile: and burn burn loads of cals on the dancefloor :happy: enjoy!!
  • jstrasburg7
    Options
    I find it very hard to not 'keep up' with friends while drinking. Beer is my big downfall especially when friends are generous and keep buying pitchers to share. I try to stick to a mixed drink such as gin & tonic and sip it slowly so that I only end up having 1 or 2 drinks. Also, alternate with water to keep you hydrated. I find that as long as I have a drink in my hand (regardless if it's alcoholic or not) I don't feel like I am an outsider. Hope this helps! Oh and, I try to eat before going out especially when I go out to a bar for Packer games. WI bars love to provide lots of tasty but ultimately bad for you food during games.
  • selfmedicated2
    selfmedicated2 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I hear ya!! It's tough, and I really have cut back on my drinking since I started MFP. You're right -- it's the double-whammy of the alcohol calories + the lower inhibitions with eating anything that sounds good when you are a bit tipsy!

I think the posts about just enjoying and making it up for it before/after are great. In addition, I try to stick to mixed drinks. I specifically do a non-flavored (regular) vodka and soda, because it is low calorie AND doesn't taste so smooth/amazing that I'm tempted to glug it vs. sip it. I also have at least 1 club soda between drinks to stay hydrated and pace the oncoming calories and poor decision making.