Day 2 - need support

Options
I was thin and could eat anything and everything until I hit my 30's. I started having thyroid problems and was gaining 20 lbs a year. I take thyroid medication, but have no success losing weight. I tried medications and WW, with no success. I know there is no quick fix. I am now in my 50's and I want to be be healthy enough to have energy for my job and Grand-kids.

My husband passed away a few years ago and I just gave up trying to lose weight. I would like to feel better about how I look and need to lower my blood pressure. I have no clue how these boards work or how to check for replies. Hopefully, I will figure this out. I do appreciate your support. Have you felt this helpless/hopeless?

Replies

• ewl6850
    ewl6850 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I think most overweight people have felt helpless at some point. But it's not. Once you get rolling... things just flow as long as you keep pushing.
  • lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    You have found the right place. Yes, us 50-somethings can benefit from MFP. Now you've made the important step to try again, and I'm here to tell you that yes, you can lower your weight and your blood pressure. I have been off my BP meds for over 2 months now by eating healthy, losing weight and seriously tracking my sodium levels via the food diary. Browse the site, click on things, read the "how to" stuff, and find a lot of support and encouragement here. I personally follow Dr Fuhrman's Eat to Live program, and am a long-time vegetarian (now a very healthy-eating vegetarian) but there are several other steps to health being utilized by the many members here. Find a lifetime eating plan that you can live with and jump in with both feet. It's never too late to get healthy.
  • GrannieGal
    GrannieGal Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the encouragement. I am going to continue reading success stories and hold on to the hope that it can happen for me too.
  • GrannieGal
    Options
    Good for you! There is hope!:smile:
  • Janie_bear
    Janie_bear Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hi Granniegal

First of all well done on deciding to try mfp and using the support of others to help with your weight loss and getting fitter. Like you I could eat more or less what I liked until I met my hubby (at 40 years old) and then I gained 4 and a half stone in 4 years!! I then tried stuff and starve diets, cambridge etc, with only short term success. I have belonged to a gym for the last 5 years but that made little difference until I started sessions with a Personal Trainer at the beginning of this year. He has helped me big time with my fitness levels but also by monitoring my diet. In April he suggested I join this sight and I love it. I have now lost 3 stone so far and am aiming to lose another stone by xmas. I am 51 and am currently trying to decide whether to do a 3 mile spartan assault course in June next year - never thought I would even consider something like this even in my 30's lol!!! I would love to support you on your journey and have sent you a friend request:)
  • mazzylad
    Options
    hi there.... just to say its great that you have taken the positive step forward of using MFP. you can add me as a friend... i am 50 years old and have 60 lb to loose! only just started on this journey and getting used to MFP. cheers
  • LeahMacMahon
    LeahMacMahon Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to say well done - it is not easy to start. Keep up the good work and I am sure you will se results. The food diary is brilliant - it makes you realise how all the little bits add up (damn you childrens leftovers)! Lxx
  • vicky11_17
    Options
    Welcome day at a time we will get there :drinker:
  • LivingInPuglia
    LivingInPuglia Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on making the start .... it can be done.
  • tonkabella
    tonkabella Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hello there :0) Skinny mini till I had my 2 boys then it escalated year by year. Joined WW and lost 3 stone... put it all back on over a 5 year period and could not be bothered to loose it again. my 50's arrived and once again I lost 3 stone this time thru SW. All back on again.... this time I could not understand why as I was not over eating to a great extreme. 9 years and several bouts of depression and feeling totally lethargic my Dr sent off a whole batch of blood tests..... hey presto underactive thyroid which she said I had probably had a for quite a few years. Now on medication and feeling much much better. Joined the gym again and set myself a steady loss of 1lb a week by calorie counting. I'm now 19lbs down and feeling fitter than I have for years. Yes I have bad days even weeks, who doesn't, I write off that day/week, hop straight back on here the next day/week and keep picking away at the fat day by day, week by week. Get your medication for your thyroid checked and also get them to do other blood tests to make sure you are not suffering from any other underlying causes. I didn't notice you saying about exercise ? get a pedometer and set yourself a realistic goal for walking, it does not have to be fast, it will be hard at first but keep going it gets easier everyday and you will get a boost from it. Unfortunately the fat does not go off as quick as it comes on... don't we wish it did lol !!! but any loss is better than a gain or no loss. We are behind you all the way on here and if I can help in anyway add me as a friend. Good luck.
  • grannyfranny2
    Options
    Welcome...this site has been great for me. I am 64...so let me say no one is too old to get their health in check ! People on here really encourage me...and with all I have been thru...and still going thru...I know I can do it ! So can you. I too have a thyroid problem and take meds for that. I want to be in great shape for my 11 grandbabies as well as for myself. Take one day at a time...one step at a time. I agree we need to get moving. My Dr. told me start walking even if only ten min.s a day. At the time I was 201 and could do only five !! I am down to 188 and walk and exercise everyday and love it. 58 lbs to go and I am doing it ! You can do it also !! Stick with the site !! :happy:
  • vicky11_17
    Options
    Way to go! you inspired me somtimes i think im to old GREAT JOB!!:drinker:
  • GrannieGal
    Options
    Exercising? I have been fighting it, but do know you are right! I will set a goal to walk at least 3 times thisne next week.
  • amann1976
    amann1976 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    I think most overweight people have felt helpless at some point. But it's not. Once you get rolling... things just flow as long as you keep pushing.

speak for yourself... at no point in my life have i ever or will i ever feel hopeless or sorry for myself...