Calorie Burning Drinks

Options
Anybody use them ? What are your thoughts ?

I've just ordered a couple of tins from Hollland & Barrett to try of :-

Aspire Drinks - Calorie Burning Soft Drink Cranberry

Aspire is the only calorie-burning drink available on UK high streets and is backed by a trial from Leeds Metropolitan University.

The University attributes Aspire's weight loss properties to a thermogenic effect. Placebo controlled trial data showed that those who drank one can burned an average 209kcal in the 180 minutes following.

Each 250ml can of cranberry flavoured Aspire contains 50 per cent of your recommend daily allowance of vitamins.

Replies

• lexximan
    lexximan Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Very interesting, would like to know =]
  • krypt5
    krypt5 Posts: 243 Member
    Options

Aspire is the only calorie-burning drink available on UK high streets and is backed by a trial from Leeds Metropolitan University.

The University attributes Aspire's weight loss properties to a thermogenic effect. Placebo controlled trial data showed that those who drank one can burned an average 209kcal in the 180 minutes following.

Each 250ml can of cranberry flavoured Aspire contains 50 per cent of your recommend daily allowance of vitamins.

Interesting stuff. Do you have the link to the study?
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Depends... is that 209 calories EXTRA vs someone drinking another product or even just water? As according to my BMR I burn 95 calories an hour (2200 or so) or 284 calories in your 3 hours.... the body is going to burn calories anyway just going through lifes processes.
  • iaho1976
    Options
    Looks like it was a very small sample of people and they don't state if it is an additional 209..... http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1334292/Aspire-The-fizzy-drink-claims-burn-200-calories-3-hours.html
  • barbiex3
    barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    drink them because you like them. There is no magic pill or drink. I drink energy drinks and celcious (a supposed "fat burner"), and I just drink them to wake up, and i like the taste.!
  • vinnysgirl
    vinnysgirl Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Depends... is that 209 calories EXTRA vs someone drinking another product or even just water? As according to my BMR I burn 95 calories an hour (2200 or so) or 284 calories in your 3 hours.... the body is going to burn calories anyway just going through lifes processes.

The subjects were tested at a resting state so they could achieve a result that represented the amount of calories Aspire burnt without any exercise / without increasing the individuals heart rate.

So I guess the question is how many calories do we burn when at rest naturally. Does anybody know ?
  • vinnysgirl
    Options

Interesting stuff. Do you have the link to the study?

I don't have the link to the study but I will see if I can find it
  • vinnysgirl
    Options
    These seem to be the 'magic' ingredients

Guarana Extract - raises your bodies metabolism and suppresses appetite.

Green Tea Extract - boosts the bodies metabolism and accelerates weight loss.

L – Carnitine - plays a vital role in the oxidisation of fat and is an aid to weight loss.
  • vinnysgirl
    Options
    And here is WeightLossResources view on the product :-

WLR Says…

Sounds very good, but basically there was only a 27 cal increase in calories burned over three hours, compared to a control group having a drink with similar calories but no other ingredients (e.g. green tea). To put this in perspective, if you laughed for about 10 minutes you’d probably burn the same calories.

The main point is that the 200 calories are not extra calories burnt, they are background calories, which just goes to show you that clever marketing makes all the difference! By all means drink it, but don’t expect the weight to fall off, and if you consume a lot, then it may have the reverse effect!
  • L_wilkes
    L_wilkes Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi Guys, Are any of you still drinking, or have tried, Aspire??
  • chels1605
    chels1605 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Well Aspire seems to be doing well (now selling in Waitrose)....

I want to know if it REALLY works though (with people like us).... Anyone fancy doing a trial with me?! we could do a month & see what happens!