I really need support...

Options
I have a pretty stressful job b/c I work in the criminal justice/jail setting as a clinical social worker. I evaluate people that have been charged with some pretty serious crimes to try to help with mental health and substance abuse needs. Today was tough...I have a murder 1 case that I am working on and I was reading all the police reports and looking at the pics of the victim in preparation for my eval. I tend to eat when I am stressed and today I went over by 475 calories. I know it was because of my day at work and I knew it while I was eating the cookies to sooth myself. ARGHH I just don't know how to stop myself sometimes...especially when I know exactly what I am doing :sad:

Replies

• beakstar79
    beakstar79 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I have a pretty stressful job b/c I work in the criminal justice/jail setting as a clinical social worker. I evaluate people that have been charged with some pretty serious crimes to try to help with mental health and substance abuse needs. Today was tough...I have a murder 1 case that I am working on and I was reading all the police reports and looking at the pics of the victim in preparation for my eval. I tend to eat when I am stressed and today I went over by 475 calories. I know it was because of my day at work and I knew it while I was eating the cookies to sooth myself. ARGHH I just don't know how to stop myself sometimes...especially when I know exactly what I am doing :sad:
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    That is tough. I am an emotional eater as well. The only thing I could think is having some healthy snacks to nibble while you are reviewing things. Even if they are a little "cheatish." Like yummy granola bars, 100 Calorie packs, etc.

Don't beat yourself up for today. Learn from it and be prepared for tomorrow. Okay? :flowerforyou:
  • jenbar
    jenbar Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Wow, that is a stressful job! Kudos to you.
    Now...
    step away from the cookies!! take one hand and reach for the carrots!
    I know that feeling of "why am I still eating these cookies" while you're still eating them. Acknowledge that you are doing it, and then change it!
    You can't change what you don't acknowledge.
    I know, I know, Dr. Phil haha! but it's true.
    Keep up the good work and try to make better choices. It will get better daily.
    Don't let the stress of your day, block you from what you want to achieve for your life!
  • beakstar79
    Options
    Thanks for the tips and support...just gotta keep trucking and substitute good foods for the bad. I think I do just have to remind myself not to let the stress of the day to block my own life achievements...very wise words, Jen:flowerforyou:
  • nmonkey
    nmonkey Posts: 66
    Options
    I can relate! I too am an emotional eater. I would suggest taking a little break and taking a walk outside if possible. Try and find something else that give you some comfort.
  • beakstar79
    Options
    A break with a walk outside is actually a great idea...i think that could really work...thanks, monkey:flowerforyou:
  • annielouise
    annielouise Posts: 29
    Options
    I have one of those jobs and one of those days. In fact I baked a dozen mocha muffins [80 cals] and had 4 of them for lunch. I keep a lot of low cal snacks around like baby carrots and fat free dip made with fat free cottage cheese blended with garlic and spices, suger free baked goods, thin sliced turkey and laughing cow cheese. I'm slowly learning to go to the gym rather than to the fridge when I feel overwhelmed, but in the meantime it's helpful to have snacks on hand that won't make me feel worse in the long run. :happy: Hey you've lost weight and that's great!!
  • walnut
    walnut Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Hey, I hear ya... it happens to most of us at some time or another. Today I ate a whole pint of gelato :embarassed: :sick: Recently I've been chewing gum when I get the urge to chow mindlessly on junk, which seems to help get me through the cravings. Wish I'd thought of that before the gelato though...