broken or no?

Options
need some advice. emergency room or not...i heard my hand pop while flipping tires over and over and i continued for an hour after the pop...my thumb and under my thumb is very swollen im uploading a pic now---i typed this with one hand cause i can noot move my thumb .....pic is main image....

Replies

• iKapuniai
    iKapuniai Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Meh, tough it out. Worry when it's purple. ;)
  • DanceForever904
    DanceForever904 Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    on the outside it green and blue and there is a large lump
  • dlegros
    dlegros Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Take hold of your thumb and pull it straight out like you're trying to pull it off your hand, then push in the opposite direction.

If you get sudden sharp pain in the little nook between thumb and wrist go see someone as you may have a fractured scaphoid (a little kidney bean shaped bone in the wrist). This test (telescoping) is one of the ones I use to decide whether or not I order an Xray on someone.

HTH

(Edited for grammatical boo-boo!)
  • cobracars
    cobracars Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    Chuck Norris would keep working out.
  • DanceForever904
    Options
    umm IM NOT CHUCK NORRIS
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    Does it hurt? That's the colors my toe turned when I broke it. Maybe not ER worthy, but definitely doctor worthy.
  • LiviLou2011
    LiviLou2011 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Jammed and bruised tough it out for a couple days with ice..
  • DanceForever904
    Options
    the thing is i have no doctor im still on a waiting list i have very limited insurance
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    Free clinic? Or an urgent-care walk-in? Urgent care would be infinitely cheaper than the ER.
  • DanceForever904
    Options
    great idea nerdy rose ill do that
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    x-rays-because-how-else-are-they-gonna-know-that-its-broken.jpg

internet diagnosis ftw!
  • iKapuniai
    iKapuniai Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    If it IS broken, there's nothing the doctors can do that you can't do yourself. It's just a waste of money. Find a hand brace/cast and refrain from using that hand until it's healed. For pain, find some over the counter pain relievers. For swelling, use hot and cold plus some anti inflammatory *kitten*, also over the counter. The doctors will probably tell you the same thing. Unless your hand resembles the photo skullskank posted, I doubt there's much more they could do.
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options
    I would recommend going to the doctors...I'm really surprised people are recommending you to fix your own hand if it's broken.

When I found my pet pigeon, one of his legs had been broken, and someone had tried to fix it, but because it was not bandaged together properly etc., his leg healed incorrectly and is now crooked. Of course he is healthy-as-can-be and a beautiful adult with a wife now, but the only way to make his leg straight again would be to re-break it (I couldn't bring myself to have this procedure done on him -- btw. it would cost $1,000 at a California aviary hospital to have this done...so if your hand heals incorrectly and you need to have another surgery done, it will also cost money/more pain I would assume).

Also, it's reassuring to know that you had a professional who has probably dealt with this kind of stuff many times before diagnose and aid you.

On a final note, it's really immature to troll a serious post about someone who just hurt them self and is looking for legit and quick advice.
  • MaryB2
    MaryB2 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    If it IS broken, there's nothing the doctors can do that you can't do yourself. It's just a waste of money. Find a hand brace/cast and refrain from using that hand until it's healed. For pain, find some over the counter pain relievers. For swelling, use hot and cold plus some anti inflammatory *kitten*, also over the counter. The doctors will probably tell you the same thing. Unless your hand resembles the photo skullskank posted, I doubt there's much more they could do.

When I broke my hand it required surgery with pins. It's ridiculous to tell someone to treat a broken hand on their own.
  • HarlCarl
    HarlCarl Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Amputate, it will grow back....right? :glasses:

Disclaimer....I am not a doctor. I have no patience!!! :noway:

Really, go see a Doctor.
  • sgaranzuay
    sgaranzuay Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Go see a medical profesional. No one on this site is equipped to tell you how to address what could be a serious injury. In the event they are qualified (a doctor) they would NEVER diagnose you on line - they would give you the same advice. Go to an urgent care clinic - go to the ER - somewhere. Good luck and I hope you heal soon.
  • biscuitwelsh
    biscuitwelsh Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Don't take risks with your hands-- poor and whole is better than disability followed by lifelong pain.

Hard to say somethings broken from a picture (unless it's an xray) but that purplish line reminds me of something I had when I tore ligaments in my ankle.
  • hooperkay
    hooperkay Posts: 463 Member
    Options

Well if it's broken and displaced will have to be reset or can cause blood clot. Hand has many bones. If it's dominate hand then you may lose some function if not treated properly.
  • dorothytd
    dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Please go to a doctor - may not be a break - if you tore something, it needs to be addressed sooner rather than later.
  • grubb1019
    grubb1019 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    If you don't get it looked at and it is broken it may be harder to fix down the road when it starts giving you problems. See a doctor.