Are you around 50? How much exercise can you do?

Options

Replies

• myraknits
    myraknits Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    55 here and I work out almost every day ..never take off more than 1 day in a row and no more than 2 days in a week. 50-60 minutes of circuit alternating 5 mns treadmill with 5 minutes weight machines and push pretty hard. Legs one day, arms the next. Tread at 3.7-4 mph.

I couldn't do more than 1/2 hr of treadmill at 3.5 mph without weights a year ago until I stopped telling myself 1/2 hr was my limit.
    I never pushed past it because I thought "at my age..." it was enough. I did 30 mins of walking for years until one day I just decided I could do more. Then I worked up slowly but kept increasing my time. MFP was a big factor..Love my MFP friends!!!

Now I believe anything is possible and I'm with the group that says they'll be in the gym at 70 and beyond.
    I definitely have to pace myself but I'm much better at listening to my body than I was when I was younger.
    Listen to your body, do what you can, build it up and avoid the negative thinking. You can do it if you want to. I really believe it's all what we tell ourselves.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    I just turned 53 today and I ran 87 miles this week and have averaged around 67 miles per week for the whole year. In my experience age doesn't make that much difference in how much you can do as long as you build yourself up to it smartly and avoid injuries along the way. Also, you have to believe in yourself and have confidence that you can reach whatever level you are aiming for.
  • mathteacher2010
    mathteacher2010 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I am 57 just finished a 100 mile century bike ride in 7.5 hours.
    Two years ago 5 miles was hard. One day at a time.

I bike 4 to 5 days a week usually 20 to 39 miles each ride at about 14 or 15 miles an hour.

So great to be fit.

Cheers
    Jim

My husband is 60 and has done 3 centuries so far this year! Again, it's never too late!
  • bllowry
    bllowry Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    My hubby is 61, and I'm well over 50 and we can now walk a 4.5 mph pace and still chat. I ran track in high school (was a miler, relay and 440 runner) 40 years ago and was active and fit in to my late 30s. Then I had some serious upheavals life wise and became rather sedentary. I no linger run because of arthritis, but I walk, bike, hike trails and garden. Someone else mentioned nutrition, and I agree with that; the single appointment we made with a registered dietitian was the move we made!
  • martintanz
    Options
    I am 47 and just got back in the swing of things. In May, I could barely bike ride 5 miles without being gassed. I am now up to 5 to 6 days/week of exercise, including 2 days a week of weights. I was feeling pretty good about myseflf when I ran into a guy at the gym who I remembered from years ago. He is in his late 60s and he comes to the gym every day. Additionally, he plays tennis 3 days/week.
  • OSC_ESD
    OSC_ESD Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Age ???? <
    What's that ??????

Listen ... age is just a number. How you feel and what your body is capable of handling is all determined by your health / nutrition / fitness. If you eat healthy, exercise accordingly and know your limits ... you will easily be able to maintain a healthy fitness regimen weekly.

It does take time to form your body into this " idea " .... so just do what you can at your own pace and allow small improvements over time make not only the 50's better than your 40's ... but just think how good you will look in you 60's ! Ha !

Cheers ! :drinker:
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    I am 53, {man that was hard to type!} I have been consistently exercising for over 6 years now, I do cardio 6 days a week, and strength 1 hour, 3 days week.

My cardio is a combo of swimming, outdoor running, stairclimber, rowing, arc trainer and elliptical.
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,905 Member
    Options
    56, soon to be 57, and I try to get in 4 workouts per week, plus a walk or strength exercises 2 other days. Work up to it slowly. When I started working out 5 years ago, I got light-headed and winded about 10 minutes into it. I've never been more fit than I am now.

Just be patient. If you need it, take a rest day or a walk rather than a workout. You will get fitter.
  • unhinge
    unhinge Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I'm 56 and in better shape than I was at 47 :wink:

Love reading this thread and all the beautiful people getting into shape in the golden age of their lives!!!
  • falcon367
    Options
    P90X, 7 days a week. I can do anything I put my mind to ... plain and simple.
  • pamperedpenguin
    pamperedpenguin Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I'm am 47 also (well, in November I'll be) and I walk 5-6 times a week.

I usually start out strong on Monday with a longer then usual walk and walk at least 2 miles the rest of the week, BUT by Friday/Saturday I am EXHAUSTED! So on those days I walk about a mile.

For me it's about making myself get out there.

Even if I only walk a little I'm still going circles around someone sitting on the couch!
  • ElizaDnl
    Options
    Thanks for the tips of looking into my nutrition - this could be part of it, since I was not just exhausted, but absolutely starving, too. I had to eat tons for a couple of days to feel full again.

I'm 56 and in better shape than I was at 47 :wink:

Love reading this thread and all the beautiful people getting into shape in the golden age of their lives!!!

Me too, this has turned out to be a fantastic thread :-)
  • CLynch309
    CLynch309 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    You've already had tons of good advice. My own experience is that you have to do what you enjoy, start slow, build up. The more you do, the more you can and want to do. I have two big dogs, so I take each one on a separate walk. I started with short walks with the dogs - over time, we started going farther and taking on steeper hills. When I went to Yosemite earlier this year and did the hike up to Upper Yosemite Falls, it was no big deal, thanks to the daily walks with the dogs. I also started playing tennis, just because it's fun. I'm a terrible player. But for an hour and a half three times a week, I exercise a different set of muscles and I have a blast as my sweetie regularly cleans my clock. One of these days I will beat him. I've come close a couple of times. :-)
  • cbeutler
    cbeutler Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Went biking with my 60 plus yr old buddy. He rode 70 miles the first day could have easily done 100 if I wasn't slowing him down.
  • Tdk4685
    Tdk4685 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I am 47 and I work out for at least 30 min every day. The weekends I work out for about 1.5 hrs each day. Some days cardio some days weight lifting. When I started exercising a year and half ago it was tough but I started to notice that I was feeling physically and mentally a whole lot better. The more I tried the easier it got, and now I feel fantastic and I look younger than I have in years. Keep it up and stick with it, it will be worth it.
  • KS_4691
    KS_4691 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    My mother is 52 years old. She runs marathons and actively participates in Crossfit. She can deadlift 250. I don't think it's a question of age.
  • fitbugfreak
    fitbugfreak Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I am 47 and do Insanity 6 days/week. You will get better over time but you have to stick with it!!!
  • twinteensmom
    twinteensmom Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I'm 54 and discovered Leslie Sansone DVDs. I like the5 mile walk one because it's broken up to 1 mile increments that I can mix and match. I usually only take off on Sunday morning. I've been doing it over a month, daily, and I'm just now, FINALLy seeing some toning and results in my body. I think as we get older it takes longer tosee results unfortunately..Good Luck!

Thank you so much for mentioning those DVD's. I love to walk. It is my exercise of choice and one my very bad knees can handle. I have wondered what I was going to do once the cold really set in(I'm in Northern Vermont) because health clubs are so expensive and I can't walk outside when it is snowing. I can't tell you how happy I was to google those DVD's and realize they were something I can easily do. Thanks again.
  • Toomestwin
    Options
    I'm 54 and I'm active every day. I either run, exercise on the elliptical trainer or lift weights at the gym. Sky's the limit.

Didn't start out that way, of course. Started off very simple: taking my dog out for a walk. That gradually became going out for a walk, then a jog and then a run. At the gym, it started off pretty simple too: running the elliptical and performing very simple weight lifting exercises.

The only catch is that I've learned to put my ego aside and listen to my body. I don't necessarily plan a "rest" day, but if my body is telling me that it needs a rest, I give it a rest even if it means a couple days in a row. Same thing goes in the gym. If I can't knock out the same number of repetitions as I did the last time I performed that exercise, I don't push it. My body is trying to tell me something, and I listen. In most cases, the next time after that, I usually end up performing that exercise more easily and end up adding more weight/resistance to the routine.

When I was younger, I followed the "no pain no gain" principle. It's a great way to over-train and injure yourself.

With age comes wisdom. :smile:
  • sistershort1
    sistershort1 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I am 51 and have been exercising since July 2012...I currently walk 2 miles a day. Work out with lite weights Mon-Wed-Friday for 3 sets of 15 reps. Work out doing boxing for 10 min on Tues-Thurs-Sat...I am going to try and change my routine up evey four weeks so that my body doesn't know what's coming...I am still in the losing weight mode which means I need to keep my heart rate up around 137bpm for at least 10 min in order to maximize my exercising efforts...so far...its paid off...22.2 pounds lost since Sept 4, 2012.