If you can't account for it....DONT EAT IT! ?

Options
I have a little issue when it comes to eating away from home and not being able to see nutrition facts for a food establishment. There are a lot of ma and pa sandwich shops, chinese food, etc. where you cannot find the nutrition facts for their menu so I just skip it all together vs. playing the guessing game. Do a lot of you find yourselves viewing the nutrition facts on a website for a restaraunt of food establishment before you go. Even if it's just lunch with co-workers, etc.?

Replies

• gym_rat
    Options
    Yeah, I always check nutrition facts and then add about 10% onto the calorie total because I know it isn't accurate.
  • pmjsmom
    pmjsmom Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    We don't eat out very often at all--maybe once every two months on average. I will check the website so I can avoid the worst offenders but otherwise I don't worry about it much--its a treat for me, not a usual occurance.
  • SammiAnne11
    SammiAnne11 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I do look up calories of the type of food place I am going, just so I can make the healthiest choice. I figure this isn't a diet, but my LIFE! I want to start making the healthiest choices all the time...
    Good luck and enjoy your dinner.
  • drvvork
    drvvork Posts: 1,162
    Options
    Yeah, I always check nutrition facts and then add about 10% onto the calorie total because I know it isn't accurate.

I never thought about the info being off - but you make a good point.:flowerforyou:
  • mvl1014
    mvl1014 Posts: 531
    Options
    I try to look up the info online, but if I'm at mom n pop or someplace w/o info I breakdown the ingredients.

Eg: I can go to the local Mexican restaurant and know that an oz of chips is about 125-150 cals, each flour tortilla (medium) is in that same range. I can estimate the amount of meat, rice, and beans. Worst case scenario I pick similar foods in the database, but I think that's the only way you can go out to eat some place unique and still enjoy it.
  • BamaRose0107
    Options
    Sometimes I do, but because this is a lifestyle change and I don't want to be cut off from friends and family sometimes I just use my best judgement. I know I will be in situations where I don't have the nutritional facts right in front of me, so I try to order foods that sound the healthiest and if possible I specify no butter, no mayo ect. I also eat in moderation I might order something and only eat half. Through my journey I have tried to find a way to lose weight and be healthy without having to create a wall around myself. I don't count calories so I don't have to worry about counting every meal and snack I eat. I am a firm believer in moderation.
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    I have a little issue when it comes to eating away from home and not being able to see nutrition facts for a food establishment. There are a lot of ma and pa sandwich shops, chinese food, etc. where you cannot find the nutrition facts for their menu so I just skip it all together vs. playing the guessing game. Do a lot of you find yourselves viewing the nutrition facts on a website for a restaraunt of food establishment before you go. Even if it's just lunch with co-workers, etc.?
    Sometimes it's great to skip those places, becuase you DO NOT KNOW how they make their food, how much fat, sugar etc.

Their nutrition value can be correct, or a bit off. Does that mean that the cook should use the SAME amount of ingredients when he's cooking? Do most cooks still measure, or just eye ball. :noway::laugh:
    So you will never really know.

Otherwise ma and pa sandwich shops, or burger places. Worse comes you order something and remove a carb.
    Example, order a grilled chicken sandwich , and remove 1/2 the bun.
    Order a protein and ask for a salad instead of rice/potatoes.
    Even salads you have to ask for the dressing on the side as some places will just load it on.

Don't be afraid to ask the establishment how something is made, and what it contains.
    You can also ask for special requests.(how it's cooked, no butter, etc)
    They are there to serve you and want you to come back.
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    Also,
    Some establishments give you 2-3 peoples worth of food. Split up the meal, take 2nd half for a few hours later or lunch the next day.
    Ask for an extra container and put 1/2 your meal in it right away so you won't be tempted to eat it.
  • xonophone
    xonophone Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately I too find myself going to chain restaurants more frequently simply because they do post nutritional info on their websites. Normally, I HATE chains/francises and prefer the family owned places. But when I do go to a real restaurant I just try to be more mindful of what I'm ordering and if the portions are large I force myself to only eat half and take the rest home.
  • Etta
    Etta Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    If I'm at mom n pop or someplace w/o info I breakdown the ingredients... Worst case scenario I pick similar foods in the database, but I think that's the only way you can go out to eat some place unique and still enjoy it.

I do the same thing. I live in Philly & most places are mom & pop restaurants. I also overestimate the calories, fat, sodium, sugar, to be on the safe side. I love trying new foods with friends & fam, so I've learned to do it in a moderate, healthy way.

126046.png
  • sunshine92
    sunshine92 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    i usually do stick to places like Panera Bread, Jason's Deli, etc. where they use organic/fresh products...but as long as you keep your portions in moderation, i dont think it's a reason to stress if you cant find nutrition facts. :)