What to do with cottage cheese and ricotta cheese?

Options
2»

Replies

• Courtabeth
    Courtabeth Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I JUST ate a cup of cottage cheese mixed with sugar-free jelly (both blueberry and strawberry.) Really yummy. Other times, I mix it with diet hot chocolate mix and a trace of honey. Real good!
  • Sponcava
    Options
    Cottage cheese + sliced banana + canned peaches: delicious!

Or how about blueberries and sliced strawberries?

Or applebutter?
  • shelbyweeeee
    shelbyweeeee Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Cheesecake.

^^ This!!

There's a cheesecake group on MFP - check it out and read the different variations! They are all great! :bigsmile:
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Ricotta Cheese:

Pumpkin Cheesecake.
    2 cups low fat ricotta cheese
    1 can pumpkin puree
    1/2 cup sugar free syrup
    5 tbsp sugar substitute
    1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    3/4 cup vanilla protein powder
    1 ready crust reduced fat graham cracker crust
    1 cup fat free whipped cream.

bake at 400 deg. for abou15 minutes, cool for about 2 hours in refrigerator, and top with the whipped cream.
  • Dinky_do
    Options
    Eat it with apples, a drizzle of honey, and some cinnamon.

Eat it with pineapples.

Cantaloupe. Sounds wierd but it is so delicious. Just cut one in half, remove the seeds, fill the hole with cottage cheese and dig in.

On pasta, preferably wide egg noodles

On toast with cinnamon (need to toast, top and then toast again) YUM!

With cut up bananas (maybe with a bit of strawberry jam)'

With cut up peaches (you can use the dole fruit cups, too)
  • xxnellie146xx
    xxnellie146xx Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your suggestions! I get stuck in a rut and tend to eat the same things over and over, so I truly appreciate it!
  • Live4More
    Live4More Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    put it in the bin...! Eat something nicer! :-)

This :laugh:
  • jkmiller82
    jkmiller82 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I'm starting to really get into Cottage Cheese.

Mix it with a bit of pesto and eat it with tomatoes.

Beat some into eggs before you scramble them.

Mix it into mac and cheese for a healthier version.
    Here's a recipe: http://www.thatsfit.com/2009/08/06/macaroni-and-cheese/

I'm going to mix it with pasta sauce soon to make a pink sauce.

Also good: Just dump some hot sauce on it!

Not to big on the sweet stuff, like fruit with it. Yuck!
  • PaleoRDH
    Options
    so this isn't necessarily "diet" but there's a pizzeria in town that puts ricotta on their pizzas and OMG.......... heaven.
  • PaleoRDH
    Options
    OH i don't eat cottage cheese but the only way my BFF can eat it is with a generous amount of Southwest Chipotle Mrs. Dash mixed into it.
  • phoenixgirl81
    phoenixgirl81 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I adore cottage cheese as it is or with rocket and tomato on some cruskits or rice crackers.

But ricotta, I don't have a lot of recipes but the ones that I do have I like.

My absolute FAVOURITE ricotta recipe is this:

Baked Ricotta (serve with salad or veggies)

- Serves 4
    - Prep time = 10 mins
    - Cook time = 25 mins

Ingredients:

300g ricotta cheese
    1 Tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
    1 Tbsp fresh chives, finely sliced
    1 clove garlic, peeled and crushed
    sea salt
    black pepper

Method:
    1. Preheat oven to 180*C
    2. Mix ricotta, herbs, garlic and seasoning together in a small bowl. Divide into 4 lightly oiled or non-stick muffin tins
    3. Bake 20-25 mins or until set.

Can be served hot or cold.
    Can add whichever herbs you want. I liked to add chilli and rosemary, but experiment to see what you like.

(I made it the other night with 225g of Ricotta and it served two people at 211 cal, 5g carb, 15g fat and 13g protein each)

I use full-fat ricotta, but you could make it with low-fat and it would have less cals I'm sure.

I also use it in baked pears.

Rough recipe:

1. preheat oven to 180*C
    2. halve and core pears, and place on a tray.
    3. place a dollop of ricotta in top of the pears in the hollow from where the core was taken out.
    4. drizzle a tad of honey over the top
    5. back until the pears are soft.

YUM!
  • heidimaggott78
    Options
    I only buy the smooth cottage cheese as I can't handle the texture of the chunky. I use it instead of butter. Its also pretty nice on top of a grilled chicken breast , then topped with some spicy salsa.
    You could also top it with some spicy salsa and use it as a dip for crudite. You could add it to smoothies. Or if you really don't like it, then don't buy it.
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    For ME, all cottage cheese is NOT created equal. There are brands that literally make me gag they're so bad. I buy generic everything, but off brand cottage cheese is just the nastiest thing ever. I've tried to make myself like them, but I can't. I eat at least one serving per day, usually 2, and Kemp's Brand is the only one I can eat. I love that one, but the others..../shudder

Maybe try a different one?
  • queensturg
    Options
    I like ricotta cheese with tomatoes or tomato sauce and spinach. Usually in a lasagna or some type of pasta dish... I made a spinach and ricotta ziti bake once, it was a bit more high-cal than I meant it to be, but if you don't have too much at once time it's ok. Cottage cheese I'm still trying out, but I've been substituting it for mayo on sandwiches, and I just had some with a fried egg and cherry tomatoes on toast, and it was really nice :)
  • nicleed
    nicleed Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I like cottage cheese mixed with tinned salmon, and chopped tomato, cucumber, capsicum on cruskits....
  • twentyjxthree
    Options
    Are you eating fat free or 1% cottage cheese? If so, this may be your problem. Because they're GROSS!

Anyone who has never tried full fat 4% cottage cheese... or even the 2% kind...please go purchase some and try it. IT IS DELICIOUS!!! and the calorie difference per serving is around 30 calories. But trust me, it is SO worth it.
  • merryhunt
    Options
    get yourself some Ryvita biscuits, spreak the ricotta or cottage cheese on, add a slice of triple smoked ham and sliced tomatoe (and basil if you like it)

DELICIOUS! go for it - high protein and very good for you - enjoy
  • JoanieHeslop
    Options
    Hi! The only way I can eat Cottage Cheese is with Pineapple. But, Ricotta is SO good in an omelet with spinach or just plain. You can use either in making a low-cal Lasagne. I use the Veggie Health Smart Prego and the sauce tastes great! :smile:
  • JUDYREP01
    Options
    Try this...

1/2 cup cottage cheese
    1 tsp vanilla
    1/2 to 1 tsp cinnamon
    1-2 packets of Splenda
    mix well

Place mixture on top of a baked sweet potato! So good!... need I say more?!