Why bother with stregth training

Options

Replies

• BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    This is where a Heart Rate Monitor comes in handy.
    HRMs aren't really very accurate for that type of exercise, they're really best for steady-state cardio.
  • innocenceportrayed
    Options
    My HRM is fairly accurate when it comes to strength training, I do cardio then strength then cardio then strength and so on so I'm always moving and my HR is always up.

I'd say get one and try it out, make sure it's one that has a chest strap though.
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    I kind of thought he was asking "why bother logging it"
    I'm pretty sure that's what he was asking, yeah. MFP is more about tracking food and cardio than tracking weights, but they give you the option to.

Yes my main thing is why bother logging it lol
    If the query is why bother logging it (as opposed to why bother doing it) the answer for me is that is a useful record of weights and reps which I may wish to look back on in the future.
  • MissTattoo
    MissTattoo Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    You can enter it in cardio as strength training and it'll give you calories.
    The strength training area below is more to log your lifts (number of pounds, reps, etc.)

THIS is the answer right here! You have to log strength as cardio. When you enter strength as strength, it's just for tracking purposes.
  • DonM46
    DonM46 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    If you lift 100 pounds of weight one foot, you've done 100 foot-pounds of 'work' which equals 0.032 calories.
    Do 10 reps and you've burned about 3/10 of a calorie.
    You'll burn almost as much keeping track and then logging it into MFP.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    My HRM is fairly accurate when it comes to strength training, I do cardio then strength then cardio then strength and so on so I'm always moving and my HR is always up.

Out of curiosity, how do you know it's "fairly accurate"? What is this based on?
  • Brodieno
    Options
    Strength training does not include calories because there is not really a formula that would cover all body types, how the training technique is preformed, the energy that each individual puts into it etc. which basically varies to each individual on any given day. But you can enter your program into the cardio section if you know how many calories you are expending during the strength training activity in order to track your total calorie count if you so wish. There is information available that will tell you what a typical workout activity will burn but not sure how accurate it would really be but it may ball park it to give you a rough idea.
  • basillowe66
    basillowe66 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I have been a runner for a long time and I didn't think strength training did anything for you either. But I have read several articles that said strenth training will increase your metabolism faster than running, so they made a believer oyt of me
  • Dancerten
    Dancerten Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    If you do want an app to track your strength training progress, I strongly recommend Jefit. Big improvement over my pad and pencil days.

Thanks! I was actually looking for something better than my notebook :flowerforyou:
  • Jester522
    Options
    You enter it in but it doesnt affect calories and doesnt tell u anything but what u did. Adding in cardio shows calories burned why doesnt stregth????????

Are you trying to say that MFP's exercise calories are accurate and strength training accomplishes nothing so why bother? I want to come up with analogy for why this is so absolutely ridiculous but I think it'll just cause an aneurysm.

OK, to stop being rash and move to informative:
    First and foremost, resistance training burns more energy that cardio. Period. This is not debatable.
    Second, calories burned during cardio begin and end with exercise. On the other hand strenght training is a continual metabolic process of 3 phases durating anywhere from 6-48 hours. The inital workout burns massive amounts of energy then the rebuilding/recovery process also utilizes calories, now that you've increased lean muscle tissue either in size, density or shape you will require MORE energy to maintain this lean body mass.
    Third, endocrine function in regards to resistance training also support the processes of fatty acid oxidation through release of important anabolic hormones such as testosterone, glucagoan, epinepherine, norepinepherine, IGF, seretonin, and the suppression of things like ghrelin. Other cell signals such as AMPK, GLUT4, and cAMP are also increased during resistance training and peak in a post-workout phase where somatic muscle tissue is in a state of insulin sensitivity and enabeling storage of nutrients into the liver and muscle instead of hanging around the blood stream or depositing into adipose tissue.

I could go on and on but why bother?
  • virichi08
    virichi08 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    LOggging the strength in the case will only be for your personal records. I log strength under the cardio tab that MFP has in the database but I do tons of cardio so whatever the number mfp gives me i don't care too much. (I personally do that to keep track that i did strength this and that day. ) Also I do not suggest using a HRM monitor doing weights. I did that one day and it said I burned 400 some calories in about 30mins which i found really ODD because thats about how much i burn in 30 mins of spin class and my heart is normal sky high for that workout where as my heart rate was pretty low for the strength training. also if u want to take the time to read it, read wht i copied and pasted:

A HRM won't give you an accurate idea of how many calories you burn during strength training, because the relationship between heart rate and calorie expenditure is not the same during strength training as during cardio exercise, which is what the HRM's estimate is based on. Unless your weight training is very vigorous circuit training, the heart rate monitor will be overestimating your calorie burn by a fair amount.

The problem is a technical one. Calorie burning isn't determined by heart rate, it's determined by the number of muscle cells that are activated to perform a given activity. It's the working cells that actually use the energy (calories) and consume oxygen. When working muscle cells need more energy and oxygen, your heart rate goes up to deliver these things to the cells via the blood stream.

Any muscle that performs a high intensity or maximum effort (strength training) will trigger an increase in heart rate and blood flow. But if only a single muscle group is on the receiving end to utilize that extra oxygen (doing a strength exercise that isolates your biceps, for example), only a relatively small amount of oxygen (and calories) will actually be consumed.

So while a series of strength training exercises may elevate your heart rate like aerobic exercise does, you're not actually using as much oxygen and burning as many calories as you would be if you were steadily using several large muscles all at once, as when walking, running, swimming, or doing aerobics for example.

The heart rate monitor doesn’t know whether your increase in heart rate is due to several large muscle groups working (cardio), an isolated muscle group lifting a weight (strength training), or even if adrenaline or excitement is increasing your heart rate. It just knows your heart rate, and the formulas it uses to estimate calories are based on studies of aerobic exercise, not other activities. So, it's going to overestimate your calorie expenditure when the rise in heart rate is stimulated by using isolated muscles at maximum intensity, which is what occurs during strength training.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    You enter it in but it doesnt affect calories and doesnt tell u anything but what u did. Adding in cardio shows calories burned why doesnt stregth????????

Are you trying to say that MFP's exercise calories are accurate and strength training accomplishes nothing so why bother? I want to come up with analogy for why this is so absolutely ridiculous but I think it'll just cause an aneurysm.

OK, to stop being rash and move to informative:
    First and foremost, resistance training burns more energy that cardio. Period. This is not debatable.
    Second, calories burned during cardio begin and end with exercise. On the other hand strenght training is a continual metabolic process of 3 phases durating anywhere from 6-48 hours. The inital workout burns massive amounts of energy then the rebuilding/recovery process also utilizes calories, now that you've increased lean muscle tissue either in size, density or shape you will require MORE energy to maintain this lean body mass.
    Third, endocrine function in regards to resistance training also support the processes of fatty acid oxidation through release of important anabolic hormones such as testosterone, glucagoan, epinepherine, norepinepherine, IGF, seretonin, and the suppression of things like ghrelin. Other cell signals such as AMPK, GLUT4, and cAMP are also increased during resistance training and peak in a post-workout phase where somatic muscle tissue is in a state of insulin sensitivity and enabeling storage of nutrients into the liver and muscle instead of hanging around the blood stream or depositing into adipose tissue.

I could go on and on but why bother?

Deep breaths brother! Deeeeeppp breaths! I am in complete agreement with your accurate and scientific post.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    There's a strength training entry in the cardio section. It's just a ballpark, but it gives me about 89 calories per half hour.

So you can have abs like LorinaLynn.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    I like to record what I do as a reminder to myself (so I can look back next year and see how far I have come in my strength training) and to keep myself accountable-- which is the 'why' for recording it.
    The why for doing it is the many health benefits including avoiding osteoporosis- because I am getting older and older these days-
  • ElleyPT
    Options
    Simple - strength training increases muscle mass - increased muscle mass = increased metabolism - increased metabolism = greater weight loss for the same amount of calories consumed/cardio output
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Because in the same way that eating food will equal more calories taken in (regardless of whether you log it or not!), strength training will burn calories, whether you log it or not.

Of course it burns calories, every activity does. There is a "strength training" option in the cardio exercise section, but don't assume it's 100% accurate. Even with a HRM, calculations for strength training calories are extremely hard because there are so many variables. I find it's just trial and error really to find what you burn roughly.

ETA: Also, there is more to exercise than just burning calories, especially with strength training! What's not to love about getting stronger? :D As well as the increase in muscle mass, ability to eat more food to maintain your current weight (or lose) and just generally looking better!!
  • mmapags
    Options
    Simple - strength training increases muscle mass - increased muscle mass = increased metabolism - increased metabolism = greater weight loss for the same amount of calories consumed/cardio output

Not to be critical in any way but just for clarity. The "increased muscle mass = increased metabolism" is true. But it is negligible. Most recent research puts the increased burn at about 6 to 11 calories per lb of lean muscle. So assuming one increases lean muscle by 10 pounds, that is only 60 to 110 calories per day more. It is an increase. But not one that is going to make a major difference. There are so many other fabulous reasons for strength training and I am a huge proponent. This is one but not a major one.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I don't do it for the calorie burn, I do it because it's good for me and it will make me stronger and make my body look better. If you are that concerned about how many calories you're burning, wear a heart rate monitor.
  • Jester522
    Options

Deep breaths brother! Deeeeeppp breaths! I am in complete agreement with your accurate and scientific post.

Sorry, I haven't had carbs in a while... I've been apologizing left and right to people for being moody. LOL. 2 more days... sigh.
  • mmapags
    Options

Sorry, I haven't had carbs in a while... I've been apologizing left and right to people for being moody. LOL. 2 more days... sigh.

I hear you man! When I go low carb, I am not fit to be around. Waaaaay grumpy and short tempered.