Q&A session - live right now!

Options

Replies

• anglsgrl81
    Options
    I'm 31 years old and have 2 children. I never had a weight problem until I started having kids. I was always thin. This year I've been diagnosed with hyperthyroidism/Graves Disease. I don't understand how that is possible because before I was diagnosed I was losing weight. I go to the gym 6 days out the week for about 2 hrs a day. I do cardio and weight train and also watch what I'm eating. I stay away from rice and all that but I've successfully gained atleast 2lbs a week over the last 2 months. I feel like just saying to hell with all the working out and eating right because I feel like I'm wasting my time.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Should I be doing cardio and weight lifting? Forget about the weight lifting and focus on losing weight with just cardio?

I'm at the end of my rope. I'm over 200 lbs and i workout everyday. I'm reduced to tears everyday because I can't fit into anything and I'm really working hard.
  • stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    What are your thoughts on powerlifting? I have a couple of friends who love it, and it's something I've given some thought to off and on. Primarily I'm a long-distance runner who tries to get in strength training (full-body circuit style) 2-3 days a week. However, I am not afraid of more weight and want to try a new challenge. How would you recommend I get started? I've been considering getting a trainer, at least initially.

Thanks!

Hmm, it's hard to answer "what do you think about powerlifting." It's the same as asking, "what do you think of football." it's just a sport. And as a sport, I really like it.

If you're asking me how to train for it, now that's an entirely different question that would require me knowing a lot more about you. If you're not squatting, deadlifting, and benching right now though, obviously that'd be a great place to start.

I've done a bit of powerlifting training myself. For it, I've adapted a lot of stuff from Westside Barbell with their max effort, repetition, and dynamic effort methods. But that's only one school of thought when it comes to training for the sport.

Point taken, the question was a little vague. :) I do squat already as part of my circuit training, but no deadlifting or benching as most of my circuit training is done at home without benefit of equipment beyond basic hand weights.

Obviously you don't know much about me, so I'll just ask this - how does one know where to start with regards to how much weight to lift, initially? I don't want to start out too heavy and risk injury, but nor would I want to start out too light and waste effort. Is there some kind of test you, as a trainer, uses to create a client's routine?

Thanks again!

Here's how I typically approach this.

I set my set and rep parameters. Say in a particular program I'm shooting for 3 sets of 5 reps.

I'll pick a load for this client that allows her to complete 3 sets of 5 very easily. Meaning, by the time they get to the 5th rep each set, it feels like they have 5 more reps left in the tank. I'll do this to sort of 'groove' the movement. I'll assess their form and make sure they're understanding how things are supposed to look and feel.

Once I'm sure that they 'get it,' I'll start increasing the load each workout by 5-10 lbs. Sometimes more if I'm dealing with someone who's very strong. Eventually they'll reach a point where the weight has them working very hard in the 5 rep range.

I almost never have clients train to failure. Rather, I'll have them train to a point just shy of what I refer to as technical failure. This means that is they do 1 more rep at this weight, the next rep will be sloppy. They won't fail to the point that the weight will fall on them. But it'll be impossible to do the next rep with good form. That's a good indicator that you're training heavy enough.

And it's just a matter of time before you get the weight dialed in to this level. Once it's dialed in though, I'll continue adding weight each workout until things stall out. But that won't be for a long while down the road once your body adapts.
  • chachii26
    Options
    Thanks so much!
  • runningathena
    runningathena Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    What are your thoughts on powerlifting? I have a couple of friends who love it, and it's something I've given some thought to off and on. Primarily I'm a long-distance runner who tries to get in strength training (full-body circuit style) 2-3 days a week. However, I am not afraid of more weight and want to try a new challenge. How would you recommend I get started? I've been considering getting a trainer, at least initially.

Thanks!

Hmm, it's hard to answer "what do you think about powerlifting." It's the same as asking, "what do you think of football." it's just a sport. And as a sport, I really like it.

If you're asking me how to train for it, now that's an entirely different question that would require me knowing a lot more about you. If you're not squatting, deadlifting, and benching right now though, obviously that'd be a great place to start.

I've done a bit of powerlifting training myself. For it, I've adapted a lot of stuff from Westside Barbell with their max effort, repetition, and dynamic effort methods. But that's only one school of thought when it comes to training for the sport.

Point taken, the question was a little vague. :) I do squat already as part of my circuit training, but no deadlifting or benching as most of my circuit training is done at home without benefit of equipment beyond basic hand weights.

Obviously you don't know much about me, so I'll just ask this - how does one know where to start with regards to how much weight to lift, initially? I don't want to start out too heavy and risk injury, but nor would I want to start out too light and waste effort. Is there some kind of test you, as a trainer, uses to create a client's routine?

Thanks again!

Here's how I typically approach this.

I set my set and rep parameters. Say in a particular program I'm shooting for 3 sets of 5 reps.

I'll pick a load for this client that allows her to complete 3 sets of 5 very easily. Meaning, by the time they get to the 5th rep each set, it feels like they have 5 more reps left in the tank. I'll do this to sort of 'groove' the movement. I'll assess their form and make sure they're understanding how things are supposed to look and feel.

Once I'm sure that they 'get it,' I'll start increasing the load each workout by 5-10 lbs. Sometimes more if I'm dealing with someone who's very strong. Eventually they'll reach a point where the weight has them working very hard in the 5 rep range.

I almost never have clients train to failure. Rather, I'll have them train to a point just shy of what I refer to as technical failure. This means that is they do 1 more rep at this weight, the next rep will be sloppy. They won't fail to the point that the weight will fall on them. But it'll be impossible to do the next rep with good form. That's a good indicator that you're training heavy enough.

And it's just a matter of time before you get the weight dialed in to this level. Once it's dialed in though, I'll continue adding weight each workout until things stall out. But that won't be for a long while down the road once your body adapts.

That makes perfect sense. Thank you!
  • mearlie
    mearlie Posts: 224
    Options
    I'd like to start weight training but I've done it before and I always injure something and quit. Do you have a recommendation of how to START getting into shape for weight training?

Hmmm, an intro to weight training would take a lot of explaining. I've started and stopped a big article about the subject more times than I care to admit. I'm a terrible procrastinator when it comes to writing!

That said, the best I can say is be very conservative with loading. People tend to get overzealous and throw more weight onto their bodies than they're ready for. This tends to distort movement causing bad form, which, in itself, can instigate injury. It can also overload tissues (muscles, connective tissues, etc) beyond what they're ready for, which can also cause injury.

So start very light until you're sure that your movement competency is through the roof.

In fact, if it's in the budget and assuming you can find one who isn't a total boob, hiring a trainer to teach you exercise form in the beginning isn't a bad idea.

I'll also throw it out there that I'm always up for assessing form if you have the courage to film yourself and send me the link. Many people have done so in the past.

Having a good trainer or better yet a good PT assess your posture would also be a good idea. With even my online training clients I do what I refer to as a static posture assessment where they'll take and send me pictures of themselves in various positions so I can better guide their exercise prescriptions, loading parameters, and pre/rehab stuff.

Without knowing more about how you've gone about things in the past, it's hard to trouble shoot you.
    wow, thanks! So if I were to walk into my gym and ask for a personal trainer, how would I know if he's good or bad? I've had three personal trainers in the past and to tell you the truth, none of them came off as particularly great. I think that's because I didn't know how to ask for the "good" one. so how do I find one?
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Is there any benefit to having a single day each week where you eat the less nutrient dense, healthy foods (Ie - cheat day) as opposed to having small quantities each day ? I have noticed many trainers seem to subscribe to the planned cheat meal/day and keep their diets very 'clean' the rest of the time and am wondering if that is just a personal choice or if there is any science behind only having the refined sugars etc on a single day ?

And I am speaking in terms of maintenance as opposed to weight loss in my case, since I am 5'10 and 126.

Nope. Research definitely isn't there yet. There are indicators, but nothing significant enough to say one way or the other. Here's my take. Structure your weekly meal plan how you see fit. And what's "fit" will vary from person to person. As long as you're hitting your calorie and macro targets each day and not making terrible food choices, things should be good.

That said, my personal strategy with my own nutrition and with many of my clients is to time most of my carb intake around strength training. I've found that there's a better partitioning effect (where calories are being stored) when you do this due to an increase in muscle tissue insulin sensitivity post strength training.

During this time, I'm much more liberal with food choices. I might plow down a few ice cream sandwiches, a bowl of cereal, and a protein shake post strength training and keep the carb intake high for the remainder of the evening after the workout.

On non training days, I'll back off the carb intake a big keeping it mostly to fruits and veggies... but I'm not rigid there.

That's what works for me and the majority of my clients psychologically and it makes a lot of sense in from a physiological perspective too.

That said, I have some clients who thrive on more or less rigidity.

So again, experiment and tailor to your own needs and mindset.

Thanks for the response. I don't do a lot of strength training thus far, mainly just some upper body work, but I do a lot of cycling and elliptical, mostly cycling since it is a passion of mine, and wonder, how does the carb intake work in this instance? Would it be preferable to have it the evening before, or after? Right now, I generally get most of my carbs from vegetables, fruits and the occasional raw nut and fruit bar during the week(for some reason I simply stopped having potatoes, bread and rice), and have ice cream, doughnut, cake and that sort of thing at the weekend but admittedly, I find it hard to limiit it to the weekend only and find myself starting to flag on energy during workouts in the week.
  • Honeybee511
    Honeybee511 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later.
  • LilEmm
    LilEmm Posts: 240
    Options
    I'm 31 years old and have 2 children. I never had a weight problem until I started having kids. I was always thin. This year I've been diagnosed with hyperthyroidism/Graves Disease. I don't understand how that is possible because before I was diagnosed I was losing weight. I go to the gym 6 days out the week for about 2 hrs a day. I do cardio and weight train and also watch what I'm eating. I stay away from rice and all that but I've successfully gained atleast 2lbs a week over the last 2 months. I feel like just saying to hell with all the working out and eating right because I feel like I'm wasting my time.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Should I be doing cardio and weight lifting? Forget about the weight lifting and focus on losing weight with just cardio?

I'm at the end of my rope. I'm over 200 lbs and i workout everyday. I'm reduced to tears everyday because I can't fit into anything and I'm really working hard.

Hi,

I'm sorry you're going through this. No fun! :(
    Since Graves Disease & hyperthyroidism affect your metabolism, causing weight loss,( It makes sense you were losing weight before being diagnosed.) I'd talk to the doctor about your medication. It could be that your metabolism is out of whack due to the medication.

My mom went through this issue and medication played a role. She eats a lot more 'raw' and unrefined foods to support the immune system, because Graves is an autoimmune disorder. I guess most folks consider this "clean" eating. She has carbs, but cut out red meat, pepper, artificial sweeteners & seriously reduced her sugar intake and the bod is happier!

Steve gives some wonderful advice regarding nutrition and lifting. If you haven't yet, check out his threads. Can't hurt! :)
  • 2essie
    2essie Posts: 2,863 Member
    Options
    I am a 62 year old female. Is there a limit to the exercise I should be doing. I walk for 90 mins per day, I am just trying 30 day shred (day 3) then I do 30 mins of cardio. I can't lift weights due to torn tendons in my shoulders. Am I doing too much for my age or is this ok. I need to loose about 40lbs and I follow a healthy diet.
  • wasking
    Options
    Im a 50 yr old lady, swimming three times a week and really seeing the benefits. But Ive been told that because swimming isnt weight bearing, that I need to be doing some other form of strength training to ensure bone density. What are your thoughts on that?
  • allgoodthings
    allgoodthings Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the information. I'm going to incorporate many of the exercises you recommended starting this week. Thanks again!
  • babybs
    babybs Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Can you sucessfully lose weight doing only the elliptical machine?

Oh I like this question. Ditto please.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    Bumping for later - great info - thanks :happy:
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Can you lose weight lying in bed ?
  • pocketmel
    Options
    What does all that mean? Since I weigh 120lbs (at 4'11 ) and I want to weigh 100lbs what does what you wrote mean? And if the MFP food meter is based on flawed logic what should I do to keep tabs on what I need to do?
  • stroutman81
    Options

Are you medicated and if so, with what?
  • stroutman81
    Options
    I'd like to start weight training but I've done it before and I always injure something and quit. Do you have a recommendation of how to START getting into shape for weight training?

Hmmm, an intro to weight training would take a lot of explaining. I've started and stopped a big article about the subject more times than I care to admit. I'm a terrible procrastinator when it comes to writing!

That said, the best I can say is be very conservative with loading. People tend to get overzealous and throw more weight onto their bodies than they're ready for. This tends to distort movement causing bad form, which, in itself, can instigate injury. It can also overload tissues (muscles, connective tissues, etc) beyond what they're ready for, which can also cause injury.

So start very light until you're sure that your movement competency is through the roof.

In fact, if it's in the budget and assuming you can find one who isn't a total boob, hiring a trainer to teach you exercise form in the beginning isn't a bad idea.

I'll also throw it out there that I'm always up for assessing form if you have the courage to film yourself and send me the link. Many people have done so in the past.

Having a good trainer or better yet a good PT assess your posture would also be a good idea. With even my online training clients I do what I refer to as a static posture assessment where they'll take and send me pictures of themselves in various positions so I can better guide their exercise prescriptions, loading parameters, and pre/rehab stuff.

Without knowing more about how you've gone about things in the past, it's hard to trouble shoot you.
    wow, thanks! So if I were to walk into my gym and ask for a personal trainer, how would I know if he's good or bad? I've had three personal trainers in the past and to tell you the truth, none of them came off as particularly great. I think that's because I didn't know how to ask for the "good" one. so how do I find one?

Three part series I wrote about the industry last year found below. Pay close attention to the third installment:

http://body-improvements.com/articles/industry-articles/
  • stroutman81
    Options
    Is there any benefit to having a single day each week where you eat the less nutrient dense, healthy foods (Ie - cheat day) as opposed to having small quantities each day ? I have noticed many trainers seem to subscribe to the planned cheat meal/day and keep their diets very 'clean' the rest of the time and am wondering if that is just a personal choice or if there is any science behind only having the refined sugars etc on a single day ?

And I am speaking in terms of maintenance as opposed to weight loss in my case, since I am 5'10 and 126.

Nope. Research definitely isn't there yet. There are indicators, but nothing significant enough to say one way or the other. Here's my take. Structure your weekly meal plan how you see fit. And what's "fit" will vary from person to person. As long as you're hitting your calorie and macro targets each day and not making terrible food choices, things should be good.

That said, my personal strategy with my own nutrition and with many of my clients is to time most of my carb intake around strength training. I've found that there's a better partitioning effect (where calories are being stored) when you do this due to an increase in muscle tissue insulin sensitivity post strength training.

During this time, I'm much more liberal with food choices. I might plow down a few ice cream sandwiches, a bowl of cereal, and a protein shake post strength training and keep the carb intake high for the remainder of the evening after the workout.

On non training days, I'll back off the carb intake a big keeping it mostly to fruits and veggies... but I'm not rigid there.

That's what works for me and the majority of my clients psychologically and it makes a lot of sense in from a physiological perspective too.

That said, I have some clients who thrive on more or less rigidity.

So again, experiment and tailor to your own needs and mindset.

Thanks for the response. I don't do a lot of strength training thus far, mainly just some upper body work, but I do a lot of cycling and elliptical, mostly cycling since it is a passion of mine, and wonder, how does the carb intake work in this instance? Would it be preferable to have it the evening before, or after? Right now, I generally get most of my carbs from vegetables, fruits and the occasional raw nut and fruit bar during the week(for some reason I simply stopped having potatoes, bread and rice), and have ice cream, doughnut, cake and that sort of thing at the weekend but admittedly, I find it hard to limiit it to the weekend only and find myself starting to flag on energy during workouts in the week.

Why don't you do more structured resistance training? I mean, assuming you're looking to optimize physique, it's sort of mandatory.

With conditioning work, insulin sensitivity of the muscle tissue isn't going to get jacked like it does with strength training... so timing your carbs in this context isn't an issue. In your case, I'd simply experiment with different timing strategies until you find something that seems to even out your energy levels. It's going to be an individual thing... and figuring it out requires experimentation.
  • stroutman81
    Options
    I am a 62 year old female. Is there a limit to the exercise I should be doing. I walk for 90 mins per day, I am just trying 30 day shred (day 3) then I do 30 mins of cardio. I can't lift weights due to torn tendons in my shoulders. Am I doing too much for my age or is this ok. I need to loose about 40lbs and I follow a healthy diet.

It's pretty impossible to say. Everyone's recover ability is different. If you enjoy that level of exercise, I say stick with it. However, be mindful of signs of overuse and/or over reaching. That's all. And if they pop up, back off the volume a bit.
  • stroutman81
    Options
    Im a 50 yr old lady, swimming three times a week and really seeing the benefits. But Ive been told that because swimming isnt weight bearing, that I need to be doing some other form of strength training to ensure bone density. What are your thoughts on that?

I would agree wholeheartedly.