CHOCOLATE CAKE - No flour, butter, dairy or gluten

Options
nortx
nortx Posts: 130
Loved the OP by 2BhappyBhealt for the "Flourless Butterless Chocolate Cake", but I needed to make a couple of tweaks to make it gluten and dairy free.

I baked it in a square pyrex 7 X 7 dish and topped it with chocolate chips which melted into a delicious topping. It made 9 pieces that were approximately 2 1/2 X 2 1/2, which is a great size for dessert. Hubby loved it (I must admit, I haven't told him there are garbanzo beans in it).

It just took a little label reading to make it safe for a gluten and dairy free diet. If you are not on a dairy free diet, then you can use whichever chocolate chips you like. The Enjoy Life - Dairy, Nut Soy Free - Mini Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips have a great dark chocolate flavor and are also Parve, meaning they are totally without dairy.

I have added this and a picture of the chocolate chips melting on top to my gluten free MFP blog at: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/nortx

gcc1.jpg

Flourless Gluten and Dairy Free Chocolate Cake (Thanks again OP)

Ingredients:

- 1 can gluten free garbanzo beans (chick peas) - Bush's Best 15 oz
- 1 cup Enjoy Life Enjoy Life - Dairy, Nut Soy Free - Mini Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
- 1/4 cup Enjoy Life - Dairy, Nut Soy Free - Mini Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips (set aside for topping)
- 2 egg whites and 1 whole egg
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder

Preparation:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Spray a 7 X 7 pyrex dish with some cooking spray
3. Place the garbanzo beans in a strainer and rinse them until the water runs clear and drain well.
4. Break eggs into a dish (You will use 2 egg whites and 1 whole egg)
5. Place the beans and eggs in the bowl of a food processor and process until smooth. This took several minutes. Scrape the sides of the bowl a couple of times.
6. Add the baking powder and pulse to blend.
7. Place the 1 cup of chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl and cook for 1 minute checking and stirring them often. Depending on your microwave, you may need to add a few more seconds. Watch carefully so they do not overcook and seize. You can remove them just before they are completely melted. Just stir with a spatula and they will continue to cook and completely melt.
8. Once the chocolate chips are completely melted, add them to the food processor and continue to process until everything is smooth. Scrape the sides of the bowl often.
9. Pour the batter into the prepared dish and smooth the top. Give the dish a couple of shakes to level it out.
10. Bake at 350 for 20 - 23 minutes. Check this a couple of times. It is normal for cracks to appear on the top surface. You will know it is done, when you insert a knife in the middle and it comes out clean. Don't overcook.
11. When the cake is done, remove it from the oven and place it on a rack to cool
12. Sprinkle the reserved 1/4 cup of choclate chips evenly over the top surface. Allow to sit for a few minutes and spread the melted chocolate over the surface.
13. Once the cake is cool and if the chocolate chips still have not hardened, just chill the cake in the fridge for an hour or two. The chips will harden nicely for a chocolately topping.

This cake can be stored tightely covered on the counter or frozen in squares for that "chocolate craving" that creeps up on you unexpectedly.

Nutrition Per Square: - Makes 9 squares 2 1/2 X 2 1/2

Calories - 230
Sugar - 16
Sodium - 243
Carbs - 28
Potassium - 97
Protein - 6

Enjoy!:flowerforyou:

Replies

• 2youngatheart
    2youngatheart Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Yummmmmm...thanks for sharing"
  • SopranogirlCa
    SopranogirlCa Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • flamencobarbie
    flamencobarbie Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I like the look and sound of this!! Thank you for sharing do you have more???
  • nortx
    Options
    I like the look and sound of this!! Thank you for sharing do you have more???

Thanks for the kind comment. What do you mean more? I have a MFP blog at http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/nortx

There are several dessert recipes if that is what you are looking for? If I can help in any way, just let me know.
  • julzzz4
    julzzz4 Posts: 72
    Options
    sounds yummy, can't wait to try it! :wink:
  • siomi
    siomi Posts: 2
    Options
    Brilliant idea!:happy:
  • windycitycupcake
    windycitycupcake Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    just so you know, eggs are dairy so this is not a dairy free recipe.
  • nortx
    Options

@ windycitycupcake, I know it can be quite confusing when it comes to eggs and dairy, but being a highly dairy allergic person, I have been advised by nutritionists, doctors and dietitions as to the following. And to support this, my body is able to digest eggs without any trouble, while unfortunately the tiniest bit of dairy knocks me out.

"Eggs are often confused as both a form of dairy and of meat, but in reality, they are neither.
    Because eggs are an animal byproduct, just like milk, many people catagorize eggs as dairy. However, dairy is very specifically designated as the byproduct of the mammary glands of mammals like cows or goats. Essentially dairy is any milk or milk-made product, such as butter or ice-cream.
    However, eggs are not meat either. Eggs are the fetal form of a mature animal, and are considered their own entity in and of themselves, than meat. Eggs are eggs and meat is meat."

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Are_eggs_a_dairy_or_a_meat_product#ixzz282KsfWFp

Thanks for bringing this up though, I know many people must be wondering the same thing and have the same questions. I appreciate your comments.
  • bakerr1975
    Options
    bump
  • Morgan803
    Morgan803 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    pump
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • emmyelleNYC
    emmyelleNYC Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    This looks soooo good! Def want to try!
  • luckyclover78
    luckyclover78 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I was hoping there wasn't eggs in this. I wonder if you could sub something for the eggs and it would turn out? Looks amazing!
  • a_mandolin_
    a_mandolin_ Posts: 336 Member
    Options

:huh:

Somebody is in trouble for lying to me in health class. I was quite certain eggs did not come from the mammory gland, nor do chickens even have them, but now my world has been rocked :(

Are these bars a fudgy texture, like brownies? Might have to try these for a baby shower I have coming up, as the woman has the gluten intolerance.
  • LesaDave
    LesaDave Posts: 1,480 Member
    Options
    WOW!! Thanks for the pics. Looks DELISH!!

I think the kids-n-I should try this sometime this weekend. They love to cook--then eat whatever they cook! :-)

Thanks, again, for sharing this recipe.
  • sunnygal_111
    sunnygal_111 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • 1917Ashley
    1917Ashley Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Maidofmer
    Maidofmer Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    what sorcery is this? awesome. that's what kind. thanks for sharing :)