Calorie Confusion - Please Help

Options
Okay, so in the last few days I've read all the "1200 calories vs. whatever" threads and I'm confused on something.

A lot of people are posting that MFP gives your 1200 calories if you don't have a lot to lose and you put down that you're sedentary and want to lose 2 pounds a week.

I want to lose 2 pounds a week and I am sedentary (I have a fitbit and get less than 3,000 steps a day unless I work at it). I'm 5"3 and have 87-90 pounds to lose so that's not a little bit and it gives me 1200 calories. If I enter that I want to lose 1.5 pounds it tells me to have 1280 calories,

So then is MFP correct in putting me at 1200 calories?

I've also read all the "newbie" threads and just feel utterly confused at the amount of info and who is right and who is wrong.
I'm also I'm on a lot of psych meds, gained a lot of weight in a short amount of time from them and my psychiatrist has told me I may have a hard time losing weight because of them.

So, help please and thank you in advance!

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    So then is MFP correct in putting me at 1200 calories?
    It complies with what some Institution or other views as a minimum. Other opinions are available.

It takes no account of how much you want to lose, if you got 1200 it's because you have a modest BMR with a sedentary multiplier and subtracted 1000 from that, ended up under 1200 and were given 1200 and a suggested loss rate below 2 lbs/week.

Current weight ?
  • JohnMessmer
    Options
    1200 Calories is the minimum number of calories recommended for a daily basis. Eating fewer than that can send your body into starvation mode and slow your metabolism to a snails pace and forcing your body to create new fat cells which then could lead to weight gain. That is the part people struggle with understanding.
  • AleksD3
    AleksD3 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Yarwell, my current weight is 215 lbs.
  • RandomMiranda
    Options
    I get overwhelmed by the sheer amount of information available sometimes as well. What worked well for me was that I started out at 1200 and ate back my exercise calories (your total calorie intake should not go under 1200). I would go over calories 2-3 times every week with eating out or missing a day of exercise, and I still lost. Then, when I hit a plateau a few weeks in I increased my calorie intake. As long as you are eating at a deficit, that is taking in less than you are burning, you will lose. The meds may make your loss slower. My mom is on a few prescriptions that slow her metabolism, so I know that can mess with the numbers you expect vs. what you get. Keep at it! Move more if you can, and eat as much/little and MFP says and you will get there. If the wealth of information is confusing or even discouraging, back off of it and keep it simple.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Yarwell, my current weight is 215 lbs.
    So you can supply enough calories from fat reserves to run a decent deficit.

If it says 1280 for 1.5 lbs and your desire is for 2 lbs/week then mathematically you need to cut another 250 ie drop to 1030.

You couldn't do that if you were 60 lbs lighter but you can do it for a couple of months. If you can't control your eating at that level or you can't get enough nutrition then run with the 1200.
  • kaylabrianna
    Options
    Use this to figure out the CORRECT number of calories you should be having. Don't trust MFP.
    For WOMEN: 655 + (4.35 x Weight in pounds)+(4.7 x Height in inches) - (4.7x Age)= BMR The amount of calories your body burns just from being alive

FOR MEN: 66+(6.23 x weight in pounds) + (12.7 x height in inches) - ( 6.8 age in years)= BMR. that amount of calories you burn just from being alive.

Step 2: Take that number and multiply by your activity level:

1.2 Sedentary (little to no exercise)
    1.375 Lightly Active (1-3 days a week)
    1.55 Moderately Active (3-5 days a week)
    1.7 Very Active (6-7 days a week)

Step 3:

LOSE weight: Subtract 500
    MAINTAIN weight: keep the number the same
    GAIN weight: Add 500

The final number is the amount of calories you should eat a day.
  • AleksD3
    Options
    Thank you!!
  • Bonitaakajina
    Options
    Where did you get this info if it is a book please tell me the title and author is it is a website please link in a reply ty
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Check this out. It really helped me. I think 1200 calories is way to low for you, but I'm not an expert, so I'll just tell you what I did. I eat at least 1800 calories a day with a lightly active setting. I started out at 172 pounds 5' 3". I've lost 18 pounds in three months. Here's the main problem I see with eating 1200 calories a day. You have plenty to burn off so I don't think you'd go into "starvation mode" What I do believe is that you would be hungry, weak, cranky, etc. And even if you aren't give it time. Because as you get closer to your goal weight, it will be harder for the weight to come off. Then you're next step in this train of thought would be to eat even less. You can lose weight eating a normal amount of calories. I'm sure you'd lose weight at 1200 too, but why would you want to? The real question is, how long can a person honestly sustain that? Because if you can't you will end right back up where you started.
  • claritarejoice
    claritarejoice Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Dear AleksD3, 1200 calories sounds good for your current weight, height and goal. I might not stay at 1200 forever but that number will kick-start your weight loss. After you get closer to your goal weight, you can increase your calories a little. It can be hard to eat 1200 a day if you are eating processed and restaurant foods. However lots of fresh and canned veggies and protein (chicken breasts, tuna fish, fresh fish filets [not breaded], beans) will make you feel very full and will make eating 1200 a day easy. I recommend finding some salad recipes that you really like with lots of greens, replace the dressing with yummy herbs, spices and balsamic vinegar. I am 5'7" eating 1200 a day (for now) and losing weight, so it definitely won't hurt you, being shorter than me. Feel free to look at my food diary for ideas.

It will also make it easier if you can get as much exercise as possible - even walking leisurly for 15 minutes a day is better than doing nothing. take the stairs instead of the elevator - these things really work and will allow you to eat a little more, like 1300 calories.

I know all the info on MFP was frustrating to me - I sympathise. Just do what works for you. Yes MFP is not perfectly accurate because it's not your doctor, but the point of MFP is to simplify things, and the numbers it gives you are helpful. I hope this helps and good luck.
  • claritarejoice
    claritarejoice Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    To jackienb3: Good points. However, one difference you have from the original poster is that you are lightly active, and she is sedentary. So she should be eating quite a bit fewer calories than you. Also you are correct that 1200 may not be forever, but it may be right for her now. I have been eating 1200 a day for a while and am losing weight. I am not cranky, tired or hungry - I am more energized and feel happier and healthier. A big issue of course is what kind of food you are eating - I have a huge salad for dinner and feel super-full, but I can imagine if someone ate a small fast-food burger it would blow their calories for the day and wouldn't be enough food, and then yes they would be hungry and cranky. I hope his helps.
  • Denisekellner
    Options
    I have difficulty meeting the 1200 cal a day requirements on most days. I do eat but have difficulty eating that much. I had previously been a soda drinker and recieved most of my over calories in that form and now with trading soda for water I am having a difficult time.
  • TracyMessmer
    Options
    MFP's 1200 for a sedentary activity level is, unfortunately, a fairly good place to start. Please don't try to eat less than that - it is not healthy for you! And yes, 1200 calories is very hard to hit - especially starting out. Some things to consider:

- Stop and think about how many calories you truly eat in a normal non-dieting day. Log those for a few days to see what you are actually taking in. Reducing this number - even if you aren't all the way down to your goal - will help you lose weight. So if you are like me and ate drive-thru frequently, you may be taking in close to 4000 calories without even realizing it. Start by making small choices... get the side salad instead of fries, etc. Slowly work your way down to your goal calorie intake by adding in fresh fruits and vegetables as fillers. You will be eating better and be more satisfied before you know it.

- Eating below 1200 calories does confuse your body and is not a healthy way to diet. Your body does not know when it is going to be fed again since this is so much lower than your normal intake and this slows your metabolism meaning you won't burn calories off as fast. So then you would be stuck eating so few calories and not seeing results which can be crazy discouraging.

- Exercise!!! Even if it is just a little.... and LOG it! Once you start to see the extra calories being added to your calorie intake goal it helps. If you just walk a little each day you have more than the 1200 calories available to you - which will help with being able to eat enough and still feel full.

I hope some of that makes sense... and hope it helps some. Good Luck!
  • jdennisj
    Options
    Use this to figure out the CORRECT number of calories you should be having. Don't trust MFP.
    For WOMEN: 655 + (4.35 x Weight in pounds)+(4.7 x Height in inches) - (4.7x Age)= BMR The amount of calories your body burns just from being alive

FOR MEN: 66+(6.23 x weight in pounds) + (12.7 x height in inches) - ( 6.8 age in years)= BMR. that amount of calories you burn just from being alive.

Step 2: Take that number and multiply by your activity level:

1.2 Sedentary (little to no exercise)
    1.375 Lightly Active (1-3 days a week)
    1.55 Moderately Active (3-5 days a week)
    1.7 Very Active (6-7 days a week)

Step 3:

LOSE weight: Subtract 500
    MAINTAIN weight: keep the number the same
    GAIN weight: Add 500

The final number is the amount of calories you should eat a day.

I saw this same exact calculation in the Better Homes and Garden New Dieter's Cookbook, page 11. I have used it once before when I lost 40 lbs. I wish I had stayed on it before. You can build a spreadsheet for your weight in one pound loss increments to get a better understanding of where you need to be at different weight levels. Good luck.
  • JessieTangerine
    JessieTangerine Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    The magical 1200cal limit is chosen by mfp since it is supposedly the lowest calorie diet a woman can eat at and still get the necessary amounts of nutrients she needs to be healthy. Below1200, you can still get all the necessary nutrients, but is much more difficult, heck, its difficult even at 1200.

I saw on your profile that you did ww before joining mfp. Was that working for you? If you did not feel tired or have nutritional deficiencies but were still losing weight, Id say eat the same amount that you were doing before. No need to mess with whats not broke. Just do a week of eating how ou used to eat and take the average to determine your calorie limit. You can manual change your calorie goal under the goal tab (I think it says something like custom goals).
  • AleksD3
    Options
    WW was working and I'm still sort of using both but not really :/

Thank you for all your help!!