Butter, the bain of my existence!

Options
Well not really, but tonight I went to cook a meal for myself and while logging it realized that butter really adds the calories fast!

My question is that if you saute something in butter, or boil something with butter, do all of the calories count? My reasoning is that not all of the butter is going to stick to the food, it is going down the drain when I clean the pain out. I just need to know so that when I cook meals I can log it correctly. I know that if I put butter in something (like mac and cheese just for an example) that all of the butter calories would count; so I am just wondering if there is a difference.

I should probably just find something like butter that has fewer calories (any suggestions?), which would be fine for me, not sure if the BF would like it though!

Replies

• tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I don't cook with butter, but rather olive oil... but it's the same difference - high cals for small servings. I actually thought of the exact same thing as you, how we don't really consume all the butter/oil put the pan for cooking. For this reason, I add only half the amount into my food diary. If you really want to play it safe you could add 3/4 of the amount, depends on how many calories you have for the day and how strict you are trying to be with them (it's better to judge over than under).
  • deviousangel07
    deviousangel07 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I about died today when I went shopping trying to find a lower calorie option than the Blue Bonnet butter, which is 70 cal/serving. Everything else was higher, even the 'diet' light butter! I then went to the oils (canola, olive oil, etc) and found that those were also higher than butter!

I guess i'll just stick with the butter I have, but probably cut the butter used in half when cooking.
  • JenKillough
    JenKillough Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Guess it's going to depend on what's left behind in the pan, you know? I count the entire amount of oil or butter (unless I forget) and just calculate the servings from there.
  • Snoopy108
    Snoopy108 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Won't ever give up my unsalted butter. It is one of the only things I refuse to switch out for something lower in calories. Therefore I log the total amount I use, but with this being said I try not to use as much.
  • trixiemou
    trixiemou Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have no intention of buying low cal butter like is just too short haha. I do not use it as much as I could and sometimes in a sandwich I would use mayo instead. When I do use it I tend to split the calories between portions. Then sometimes the indulgence is worth it.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    I've cut back a bit on how much I eat, but I log the whole amount, even if I'm just cooking with it. Its too much headache to worry about miniscule things like how much butter was left behind. At the end of the day, it is all just estimates anyways. What if you walked up a flight of stairs that day that you don't normally walk up? Are you going to log it as exercise? No, its just one of the tiny things that flush out at the end of the day.